No announcement yet.

Top 5 performance cars under 20k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on your personal definition of "clean" but you can get a pretty good GN for less than $20K last I looked. That will be my next purchase once I have a garage space for it.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Muthafuckin b18c5 turbo crx with slicks!!keep ac no power steering..
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Foxbody plus $15k

Comment

'04-'06 GTO and '09 G8 GT
          '04 Cobra Mustang
          '10-'13 Taurus SHO

Comment

C6 Z06s are in the mid 20s now if you shop around.

'03-'04 Cobra

C5Z
            C6Z (if you push your budget a bit)

G8 GT

Early gen Viper

'11-'14 5.0
            Originally posted by Buzzo
            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

A viper for $20? I have yet too see that. A clean c6 z less than 29? I need to look harder then. A lot of good suggestions though. Foxes and 3rd gen f bodies plus funds, I agree but not really appealing to me anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                A viper for $20? I have yet too see that. A clean c6 z less than 29? I need to look harder then. A lot of good suggestions though. Foxes and 3rd gen f bodies plus funds, I agree but not really appealing to me anymore.
                Yeah, there are some HCI C6Zs for 25-26k (asking price) popping up. Low mile (under 20k) stock ones for upper 20s...lower 20s if 80k+ miles.
                RT10s can be picked up for mid teens all day, people just ask a lot for them. Got my '06 SRT10 for low 20s.
                Just gotta keep your eye open and play the waiting game if you're willing.
                Originally posted by Buzzo
                Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Spend some time on the GN/T Type boards and Facebook pages and you can find some amazing deals if you're patient. Just yesterday someone posted a pretty nice 89 Turbo Trans Am for $16k. They handle extremely well compared to a Buick, and they have that wonderful turbo V6 making even more power than it did in the Buick due to better heads.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    An awesome car especially if it's a z51 car. I'm seriously tempted to finance a c6 z06 at 35..... might be the best bargain right now. I sort of really like the ugliness of the c5 more though. I probably need to drive both back to back after driving my ZR to the dealer.
                    C6Z is my goal for early 2018. I just can't get over them
                    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I think Grand Nationals were the most interesting cars built in the automotive dark ages, but I am still puzzled why they became highly sought after "dream cars." They sound like an old tractor and suffer terribly from '80s GM-itis - God awful wiring, saggy doors, with interiors, suspension, and brakes built to take grandma to church. Slowly. Buick slapped a turbo and EFI on it to make it a gnats hair quicker than a 305 Camaro, painted it black, and everyone slobbers over them. They are cool looking but they aren't that fun to drive. They can be wonderful cars if you rip everything out and start over.

I wouldn't keep a C4 ZR1 if someone gave it to me. Good performance, yes, but damned near every part is unique to the ZR1 and priced accordingly. Price of entry is low but maintenance is a bitch.

The C5 Z06 is the best car on your list that is actually under 20k. Go for a C6Z if you have another ten grand. The '11-14 Mustang GT ought to be in there somewhere. The early SRT8 Challengers are right at 20 now. Maybe you can buy someone's hot rodded '10+ SS Camaro if you want something newer and nicer with a big cam under your budget.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        I think Grand Nationals were the most interesting cars built in the automotive dark ages, but I am still puzzled why they became highly sought after "dream cars." They sound like an old tractor and suffer terribly from '80s GM-itis - God awful wiring, saggy doors, with interiors, suspension, and brakes built to take grandma to church. Slowly. Buick slapped a turbo and EFI on it to make it a gnats hair quicker than a 305 Camaro, painted it black, and everyone slobbers over them. They are cool looking but they aren't that fun to drive. They can be wonderful cars if you rip everything out and start over.
                        They were built with suspension just like most other cars designed and built in the late 60's to late 70's. I've never had an issue with the brakes stopping my car...minus ABS the car stops pretty damn good. I can also assure you they are more than "a gnats hair" quicker than a 305 Camaro, more comfortable, real back seats, get better mileage, much better visibility with no huge blind spots and they have a REAL trunk. They are easy to live with as a daily provided someone doesn't steal it. You're just a hater

Comment

LOL! Have you converted yours to 16v so it runs right and the windows roll up?

Stock versus stock it was low 15s to high 14s for the Camaro, and mid-high 14s for the GN. That's pretty close.

I'm not knocking the GN as "a car" and I'm well aware it's desirable. But I will say it has no business on a list of performance cars under 20k.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                            LOL! Have you converted yours to 16v so it runs right and the windows roll up?

Stock versus stock it was low 15s to high 14s for the Camaro, and mid-high 14s for the GN. That's pretty close.

I'm not knocking the GN as "a car" and I'm well aware it's desirable. But I will say it has no business on a list of performance cars under 20k.
                            My windows and sunroof operate just fine stock. I began converting all the lights to LED last year to prevent the housings and lenses from melting but I've never had any voltage issues. My car ran 14.0 at 99mph on a 97 degree day 100% bone stock at Ennis in 2000...only ones that ran low 15's were either hotair 84-85 cars or the drivers had no clue how to launch (same as the LS1 drivers who run low 14's in their Camaro's or Trans Ams).

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                              C6Z is my goal for early 2018. I just can't get over them
                              Me too. I think its the big displacement and high compression NA motor. Such a throwback to better times.
                              1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                                Spend some time on the GN/T Type boards and Facebook pages and you can find some amazing deals if you're patient. Just yesterday someone posted a pretty nice 89 Turbo Trans Am for $16k. They handle extremely well compared to a Buick, and they have that wonderful turbo V6 making even more power than it did in the Buick due to better heads.
                                Shoot me the link to the 89 TTA, I'd like to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X