No announcement yet.

Top 5 performance cars under 20k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always had a soft spot for the 944 Turbo but for the cash I think an RX7 FC Turbo II (89-91) is twice the car for much less money. Looks almost the same but has better parts support, easier/cheaper to make power and they handle better. Just make sure its tuned well and you dont ever have any knock and they are very stout engines. Just keep them cool and run high octane fuel and you usually have a solid car. All 7 RX7s I had never broke down.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Contrary to what svo says I've yet to see a 2 rotor make more than 480whp in person. I had a 2000ss with a built motor and rpm 3 cam back in 08 and beat one from a 45 roll a few times without having to hit the bottle. Also beat a 3 rotor on a single turbo setup.

Comment

The Rx7 and 944 aren't about power to me. I'm going to shoot for 300 to the tires reliably and enjoy it autocrossing and on road courses. I'm getting old. If I want to go insane I could sell all my cars and finance a hellcat or ZR1 or Shelby.... honestly I prefer having multiple cars, cheaper cars (not worried about boo boos), and way cheaper insurance.

If I ever sell all my cars it will be to acquire a Ferrari or high end 911 GTx or turbo.

Comment

It depends on how you measure "performance car", but you can get some nice classic cars for under 20. For instance, if a 65-68 Mustang coupe tickles your fancy, you can get something basically done with lots of engine and suspension upgrades, and often modern(ish) transmissions like the T-5 in my '66.

It won't out-corner most of the things on your list, but it'd be super fun and beat a lot of them in a straight line.

Probably not good daily driver material, but neither is a GN or ZR-1.

Edit: Exhibit A. Asking $15K

Comment

Or you could buy my 63K mile, 442RWHP supercharged 05 GT convertible for $14K.

Comment

Or you could buy my ??mile 390whp turbocharged 240sx for 6k.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                Or you could buy my ??mile 390whp turbocharged 240sx for 6k.
                Post info and pics. I might be able to help you find a home for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  Post info and pics. I might be able to help you find a home for it.
                  Word. Ill go through my folder when I get home for the parts list.

Comment

Here ya go
                    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                      Dang. Last time I checked, the 1999 Acrtic White FRC was a really hard to find, especially in clean condition!

Comment

You'd better have deep pockets if you buy a 944 Turbo, even if you do the work yourself. They're always broke, and expensive to buy parts for.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          You'd better have deep pockets if you buy a 944 Turbo, even if you do the work yourself. They're always broke, and expensive to buy parts for.
                          My research finds this statement often. I don't see where it's ultimately justified though. A full timing belt job is $200 in parts, water pump $200 ish. Shocks are priced inline with other high performance shocks. Clutch around $400 or so. It's cheaper than most anything comparable on my ZR-1, but the ZR is probably way more durable.

Ever price SVO parts? I've done that too. The car hobby just isn't cheap period. It's also a fairly safe bet 944 turbos are only headed in direction price wise.

My biggest car regrets are not buying 80s 911s and a Ferrari 308 when I could have. I'd have made a furtune on either today.

Comment

if you're serious about a 944 i'd start here. these guys are all DIY'ers.

Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum - A home for our watercooled friends to ask questions, and to trade stories.

I personally wouldnt touch one, the FC RX7 would be more fun, and you dont look like a broke dick who just wanted a porsche badge.
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

hell for that matter, you may as well find a boxter and go do spec boxter classes.
                              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                                X