No announcement yet.

One Lap of America 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are essentially the same car but stock for stock, the C6 is more car and faster. If you are going to prep both for the track you are going to tear them down to the frame and replace exactly the same things so it becomes entry cost point. Buy a C5 for $9k or a C6 for $20k.

Comment

I will only be doing bolt ons for the suspension and brakes but I am not afraid to spend money on the good stuff and do not have a problem relocating where various components bolt on. I will do whatever it takes to double the power the car puts to the wheels. It will be a street only car just so I can have a very fast Vette that is not older than I am.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        I will only be doing bolt ons for the suspension and brakes but I am not afraid to spend money on the good stuff and do not have a problem relocating where various components bolt on. I will do whatever it takes to double the power the car puts to the wheels. It will be a street only car just so I can have a very fast Vette that is not older than I am.
        Sky is your limit. Luckily the "Vette Tax" is far less than most others such as Porsche and BMW when it comes to bang for the buck. In our case, we are using a lot of parts from our now parted out 4th gen camaro race car and acquiring used parts from friend's parts bins to keep the build cheap as can be. We have so much stuff laying around the shop it is about time we use it for something fun.

Comment

Update...car is mostly done. Working on a few last minute tweaks on ride height and getting the trailer setup ready. We leave wednesday for Southbend and after some initial testing woes...the car should be somewhat better sorted than a week ago.

Car is currently sitting on 335's square. Makes about 410rwhp which is a lot lower than expected possibly due to being over full on oil...has full aero for downforce and JRZ motorsport pro coil overs. Sort of an animal on track even though it is on street tires.

Wish us luck...we are going to need it!

Comment

Good luck man, but most of all have fun! Many of us dream about doing the one lap. You are doing it! Is there a website where we can track your progress?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
              Good luck man, but most of all have fun! Many of us dream about doing the one lap. You are doing it! Is there a website where we can track your progress?
              Well, we are back. Corvette ended up spewing oil and coolant at the first track event and spent 30 hours trying to get that fixed. Ended up towing it back home and was going to grab our SRT8 charger or my scat pack challenger to finish the event after skipping High Plains in Denver and rejoining at Cresson. That was going to require several hours of prep time we didn't have and ended up trading the SRT8 Charger for an identical 2018 Hellcat Charger and finished the event with HUGE moronic smiles on our faces. Won the unofficial "fan favorite hoonery" award and got home late last night. May end up with an article on us in a Dodge Blog/magazine and link in Hotrod magazine too.

Put 3200 miles on the Hellcat in 5 days and I must say the car generates numbers that boggle the mind for something that weighs 4900# with driver. For instance, at NOLA Motorsports Park, I matched the top speed on the front straight of a 2012 Lambo Gallardo 570-4 Superleggera on what is effectively a MUCH shorter straight given a slower entry speed and a longer braking zone. Terminal velocity was 148 mph and getting it woahed up on all season Pirelli's was eventful for sure! Rest of the event involved lots of tire smoke and stupidity which turned a bushel full of lemons into some sweet lemonade with some good whiskey in it!

Plans to return with the vette are already underway but there will be FAR more testing involved this time instead of just 4 laps....I really want to strangle a couple of suppliers who cost me about 3 weeks build time. Ugh.

Comment

Man, didn’t know that was you in the brand new Hellcat. Went out to watch for a few hours at Cresson and chuckled at the 2018 Hellcat with dealer tags running One Lap. My buddy, Andi, who has a Hellcat too talked to you for a minute, I believe.

Cool beans! It’s on my bucket list to run One Lap someday.
                Ford
                GM
                Toyota
                VAG

Comment

ended up with some press about our story of adversity and how we overcame it with 1st world problem solving!

The new car smell was fresh, bits of protective interior wrapping still in place, and the window sticker was just removed when One Lap competitors ...

Comment

Sounds like you had a lot of fun in spite of some rough luck. I’m surprised the FRC wasn’t more cooperative. It makes me feel a bit better about my choice to go 5.0 Miata for kicks.

Comment

Sounds like you had a lot of fun in spite of some rough luck. I’m surprised the FRC wasn’t more cooperative. It makes me feel a bit better about my choice to go 5.0 Miata for kicks.
                      It’s an issue with LS engines at high rpm and high oil temps. Simple fix but have to engineer a better Pcv system and didn’t have parts on the road. Car is fast as hell for two laps but need it fast for 4 laps and not leaking oil and coolant.

With a bit more sorting we will settle some unfinished business.

Comment

I get it. The LT5 in my ZR has similar concerns. I’d rather try my 996 on track IMS be damned.

Comment

I get it. The LT5 in my ZR has similar concerns. I’d rather try my 996 on track IMS be damned.
                          We are going to sell our 996. Did the ims with the LN retrofit. Car only has 34k miles on it and we need to thin the fleet. Know anyone looking?

Comment

Cool story.

Would the Porsche not be a good contender?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                              We are going to sell our 996. Did the ims with the LN retrofit. Car only has 34k miles on it and we need to thin the fleet. Know anyone looking?
                              Lots of people on Rennlist claim to be looking. It’s a tire kickers market though. I will keep my ears open at local PCA events. That’s serious low miles. Any cool options? Colors? I know it was a real buyers market for them and still is but 34k mikes will appeal to many if priced competitively. I may sell my ZR, storing all these cars is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Blandnuts View Post
                                Cool story.

Would the Porsche not be a good contender?
                                Not nearly enough power. Base Carrera and would need a GT3 or turbo GT2 to be at the front.

Comment

Working...
                                X