No announcement yet.

First gun - CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks everyone... so im assuming a .380 is a pretty popular size huh?

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
      thanks everyone... so im assuming a .380 is a pretty popular size huh?
      its ok, I some times carry a keltec .380. Not a bad little pistol

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
        go to a range and rent a few. go with the one your comfortable shooting
        good advice.

my daily ccw is a ruger lc9. really have grown to like sub compact.
        Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-18-2012, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          The Sig P238 and P938 are fantastic shooters, but they are expensive. I figured I'd mention it, but if you're looking at an LCP I would think it isn't what you're looking for. The LCP's work fine, they just are not "fun" to shoot. I can bring one to a get together and you can try both.
          That is the primary reason I got the TCP rather than the LCP, it doesnt fit in my hand.
          Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
          I've heard this a couple times.... I don't see myself going to a range a lot or anything like that.. I literally just want it for a CCW

I have a little 25 that I carry when I am going to buy or sell anything but since I don't have my CHL I don't always carry it...
          I know that the 25 is too little.. but it's also better than nothing...
          Ill bring my TCP, I actually like shooting it.

AND I'll be bringingn the 30-30, I want to ring the bell open sights. It pissed me off last time when I ran out of ammo.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

sounds interesting I would like to attend this event. I have an xd subcompact 3" barrel in .40 that would be a great gun for concelled carry. Much like yourself I have started with a hand gun that would work for concelled carry and I Have a remington 870 12 gauge and a winchester .270 bolt gun for hunting and a couple .22lr for playing and an AR for playing and possibly hunting.
            sigpic

Comment

As I'm sure you've heard others say elsewhere...the best CCW gun is the one you carry with you ALWAYS (within legal rights). I've fired pocket guns (25 and 32's), what most people would say is the smallest round they would consider..the 380, 9mm, 40, .45ACP, and even a 10mm. I spent months reading boards and reviews..and fired a few borrowed guns for my own opinions. I chose the Kel-Tec PF9 and keep it loaded with 147grn +P PDX. Its the largest gun I can conceal with almost no thought or planning...soccer shorts pocket, jeans back pocket, lightweight jacket pocket....even with a +1 mag extension it conceals VERY easy, weighs almost nothing..and packs quite a punch for its size. It IS a feisty little gun with +P but I didn't buy it to plink with at the range..I bought it to protect myself or others when shit hits the fan. Springfield now has the XD-S in .45ACP and its about the same size as my little PF9 and shoots with less recoil (how they pulled that off I don't know) but only holds 5 rounds and costs almost 3 times what I paid for my PF9. I have friends who bought the standard goto carry gun because they hold more rounds...the G23 and G17...but then complain that its too big or hard to conceal so they don't carry. Shit aint gonna help you if its sitting in the nightstand at home. Pick something that will STOP the attack and that you will ALWAYS CARRY.

And just to provide some NON politically correct advertising for the Kel Tec PF9...it was good enough for Trayvon
              Last edited by ram57ta; 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

OP, get in on CJs offer.

As to your question, what is your build? You tall short skinny or fat? This will dictate, to a degree, the calibers with which you are comfortable...
                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

I believe a .380 will get the job done. The muzzle of a .45 looks much more serious than a .380 but I don't think anyone wants extra holes in their body regardless of the size, just gotta find what fits you.

Comment

I think good choices for conceal carry would be S&W 442/642 or Sig P238/938. For a good full size home defense/ comfortable range shooter you can't go wrong with a Beretta 92, CZ75, or Sig P226.

These aren't the cheapest options out there but they are proven reliable and accurate shooters, and they are all metal guns with hammers which I prefer.

If you like striker fired polymer guns Glock 19, S&W M&P, Ruger SR9, and Springfield XD are great choices.

Marcus
                    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

anybody have a Kahr CM9? That's what I have been looking at lately.

Comment

I am right at 6'0" tall and 175lbs. Pretty average/thin side I guess.

Comment

I had a ruger LCR at one point but carry a glock 19 everywhere now. I was carrying a 17 but actually shoot the 19s better.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1042 View Post
                            I had a ruger LCR at one point but carry a glock 19 everywhere now. I was carrying a 17 but actually shoot the 19s better.
                            glock 19, the best pistol ever carried

Comment

Originally posted by udrandman View Post
                              anybody have a Kahr CM9? That's what I have been looking at lately.
                              I had a cm40, I liked it. NOT fun to shoot, but I bet the 9mm version is nicer on the hand.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I carry a Glock 32 (.357Sig), same size as the Glock 19. It's just about right for me, but as someone else mentioned, your size/build may dictate you carry something smaller or allow you to carry something bigger. Try, Try, Try again until you find what works best for you!
                                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                                X