No announcement yet.

selling a vehicle to carmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas Dodge actually offered $1500 more than carmax when I sold my srt8 Super Bee. It was pretty surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Musbrad2 View Post
      Dallas Dodge actually offered $1500 more than carmax when I sold my srt8 Super Bee. It was pretty surprising.
      They made it up on your new car, trust me

Here's a loan I was reviewing recently:

A customer brought in a 2005 Lincoln Navigator to a franchise dealer, a very reputable one. He owed $8k on the unit, and the dealer gave him 5k for it, leaving 3k in negative equity. He put 2k down on it, so he had a net of 1k in negative equity. He purchased a 2009 Z71 Suburban with 107k miles on it. It booked for 19k. He financed 35k @ 72mo. The dealer pocketed 15k.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

God damn I'm glad I'm not in the car business anymore

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post

A customer brought in a 2005 Lincoln Navigator to a franchise dealer, a very reputable one. He owed $8k on the unit, and the dealer gave him 5k for it, leaving 3k in negative equity. He put 2k down on it, so he had a net of 1k in negative equity. He purchased a 2009 Z71 Suburban with 107k miles on it. It booked for 19k. He financed 35k @ 72mo. The dealer pocketed 15k.
          Damn that's rough! Mine was just an outright sale, to the dealership. I remember last time we went out to the range you were telling me a few horror stories like that.

Comment

Damn that's rough! Mine was just an outright sale, to the dealership. I remember last time we went out to the range you were telling me a few horror stories like that.
            sometimes you can get a decent offer on a car if they have a shortage of that unit, or if they have a buyer in mind already. To really good a good deal on a trade, you usually have to be dealing with a franchise dealer which has some sort of dealer holdback on a new unit which can absorb it.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

well with that news once i win the powerball its decided that im gunna start a car lot.

Comment

I have sold one to Car Max and then the next time I was not impressed with them. I may go up there Monday and see what they will do on my2012 23k mile FX4. My goal this year is to sell everything and start fresh. I had a eye opening experience around tornado time and said fuck it, it's time to grow up.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                  well with that news once i win the powerball its decided that im gunna start a car lot.
                  I should start a business where I just accompany a buyer to a car lot and step in when they're about to get fucked.

Comment

sometimes you can get a decent offer on a car if they have a shortage of that unit, or if they have a buyer in mind already. To really good a good deal on a trade, you usually have to be dealing with a franchise dealer which has some sort of dealer holdback on a new unit which can absorb it.
                    I believe he came up with a price based off something called the black book, guess it's another nada/kbb type site. Either way pretty happy with the outcome, and no headache surprisingly.

Comment

I believe he came up with a price based off something called the black book, guess it's another nada/kbb type site. Either way pretty happy with the outcome, and now headache surprisingly.
                      Yes, blackbook is a newer valuation that's being used, it's more intricate, however, all the lenders in this region use NADA as a standard. Some lenders use blackbook on used same year vehicles before they get put in the book. KBB is used on the west coast, primarily. Usually a dealer will grab whatever valuation yields the lowest value for a given trade to show the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                        Had a buddy telling me they will generally give just under kbb for a car regardless if you're buying from them or not. Seems like they would be a last resort kind of place and would lowball but figured someone here has had experience with them.
                        i thought the same thing till I took the 2010 mustang there and they gave me well above the other trade in offers from dealers, any future sells , I will just go directly to them.

Comment

I should start a business where I just accompany a buyer to a car lot and step in when they're about to get fucked.
                          You laugh, but there's people out there who's job is to get a person a good deal, be it at Best Buy or the dealership. I think they charge half of the savings.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

BUMP

I'm selling a 2015 Expedition EL Limited as my wife and I ordered a Ford Transit passenger van (I know, I know). I've never sold a vehicle this new before as I've always had older used vehicles.

After reading this thread, I checked NADA and the Trade-In value is 29-30k. If we get 80% of that value we're looking at 24k. I checked AutoTrader.com and the prices range from 33k-39k for the same vehicle.

Here's my question: have any of you sold vehicles like this as a private seller? Do I stand any chance of selling this thing on the private market? I'd do AutoTrader and craigslist.

My thinking is, even if I sell it for a bit less than everyone on there and I get 30k, that's a hell of a lot better than 24k.

I'm going to CarMax within a week or two for an appraisal (gotta fix a broken mirror first - wife vs. Sonic and Sonic won).

Comment

Don't forget to factor in the sales tax savings of trading in on the new car vs selling to carmax or private party.

Comment

Autonation in Arlington used to rock on buying cars. I usually got more than I was going to list them for. Last time, they were way under. Show me the Vin beat them by 2k. I could have jacked with craigslist and got maybe 1k more but didn't want to mess with it. Autonation guy told me their bidding had been outsourced to Florida.
                                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X