Union kills the Twinkie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    You are wasting your time trying to explain anything to the simpleton. It is always the fault of the company or the rich man to these people. I have worked in three union shops and the robots are pretty much all the same.
    I have never been able to engage anyone in a comprehensive discussion of unions in my life. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd never know because no one has ever made a logical case from the union perspective to me.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      I work nationwide (if need be for my clients) but my ass is in Fort Worth. Fruitless flight of fancy.
      I would assume this person would as well, but they insisted on the title which I found funny. They were cool until they got the title then they turned all high and mighty even though they were doing the same job as before.

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      I see what you did there
      Ssshh

Comment

• Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
        I would assume this person would as well, but they insisted on the title which I found funny. They were cool until they got the title then they turned all high and mighty even though they were doing the same job as before.

Ssshh
        I got "promoted" once, and that promotion included a job title change, all the same responcibilites, and new buisness cards. No money, nothing other than the title. Actually that has happened twice.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
          I have never been able to engage anyone in a comprehensive discussion of unions in my life. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd never know because no one has ever made a logical case from the union perspective to me.
          Like most liberal ideas, the conversation would be based on half truths and double standards. You should try working with these people, you realize rather quickly why they work where they do.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron View Post
            I got "promoted" once, and that promotion included a job title change, all the same responcibilites, and new buisness cards. No money, nothing other than the title. Actually that has happened twice.
            I thought you worked for LKQ, not the railroad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              Like most liberal ideas, the conversation would be based on half truths and double standards. You should try working with these people, you realize rather quickly why they work where they do.
              I've never dealt with unions directly in my occupation, but I have had contracts for various things with union companies. One of them was a recovery agency in the northeast, they did absolutely abysmal work and I had to search for years to find a privately owned and managed company that did a great job.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                I thought you worked for LKQ, not the railroad.
                Those were at previous employers. I wont get promoted here. I would have to take a pay cut to move into management, and there has been one management promotion that has happened since Ive been here. Ive been a manager at most of the places Ive worked, as have a few of my co-workers. I will have to leave to move up anywhere.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• <----COA of my company.

Comment

• im still ballin
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post
                      im still ballin
                      You better capitalize on that while you can.

Comment

• dude, samsung, apple, motorolla, TI,... all those companies that make your cell phones, tv's etc. arent going out of business anytime soon. if yall buy it they'll make it. In fact we have a $5Billion dollar job coming up in March in Atlanta Georgia at a pharmaceutical plant. oh yeah. we do that too. so until you stop taking advil, tylenol, and bayer, etc. dont worry im getting paid!
                        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post
                          dude, samsung, apple, motorolla, TI,... all those companies that make your cell phones, tv's etc. arent going out of business anytime soon. if yall buy it they'll make it. In fact we have a $5Billion dollar job coming up in March in Atlanta Georgia at a pharmaceutical plant. oh yeah. we do that too. so until you stop taking advil, tylenol, and bayer, etc. dont worry im getting paid!
                          It was a double entendre to bust your balls about capitalization. I don't have anything against you, I'm just here to be an asshole to everyone.

Comment

• oh good.

if anyone wants to know where to make $30-50/hr let me know
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              It's hard to have a decent conversation on this forum when you have people that will make claims and when you post a rebuttal to those claims they just spew the same non sense. Oh your a union member you don't know shit about unions my daddies' cousin's best friend that got his tire slashed 40 years ago told me all I need to know about unions.

With that said I'm willing to have that converstion with you and will answer any questions you have. Granted no two companys and no two unions are alike, but I have experience with 3 different unions that I've worked under and I can answer any question based on my experience. I'm not going to get into the bakers union, UAW, garbage mans union ect ect...

I know it might blow alot of folks mind on this site, but have you ever thought for one second that an industry or a company might prefer to use a union because it will save them money. pause.......while Frost just blew his top....... In my industry the union polices themselves and this saves the company an untold amount of money. I know most folks want to believe that for every union worker they need one manager standing over him to wake him up and make sure he does his job. This is a joke in my industry. At my location there are 150 to 175 employees for every manager. If you count the actual amount of managers that even have a clue to what is going on that number doubles to 300 employees per manager. This is no joke. 75% of managers don't know how to do my job and can't do it. The place runs it's self. The only time you see a manager is if something really gets screwed up. We are totally left to ourselves and can you imagine the work gets done in a timely manner. We have our ways of keeping members in line and this is benefical to everyone. We don't want managers breathing down our backs, and the company sure as hell doesn't want to hire more manangers. Since we are in the trenches the company leaves alot of stuff up to us. Like safety which is huge. The union is in charge of this and takes stuff very serious. If you are deemed unsafe by your coworkers you won't have a job. Period end of story. The union will not back you.

Another way the union saves the company money is from an accounting stand point. How long would it take those managers to sit down and have employee reviews and determine how much each person should get paid or how big of a raise or bonus they should get. At the same time keeping everything fair and morale high. Seems if you have thousands of people doing the same job wouldn't it be easier to sit down with a handful of them and hash out pay and benefits for everyone. On top of that the union administers the healthcare, pension, seniority,vacations, ect ect... thus saving the company money and resources.

Also when you're dealing with millions of dollars in equipment, freight, hazmat,public safety, and countless government agencys up your ass you want a qualified work force. Not to mention the billions in liability the company faces each day if someone screws up. Contrary to what you hear on Dfwmustangs you don't learn this shit over night and it takes years for an employee to grasp and understand what is happening around them. With all the rules and regulations we have to know and follow the company wants a seasoned work force. The union structure provides this. How many people now days will stay at a company for 5,10,or 20 years? Very few. The railroad needs people to stay a lifetime and the union provides this. I get the pleasure of working with guys who have been on the job 30,40,and even 50 years. They've probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. The railroad has done studies and they claim it takes an employee at least 7 years to learn the job to where they are no longer a liability and actually start making the company money. With out the union stability employees would come and go. The decent pay, good benefits, and awesome retirement that is provide by the company and union is what keeps people around.

It's a marriage. It's not always a happy one but we make things work and both sides have to give and take. It's worked for the past 150 years and will continue to work. I'm sure we will have the shit talkers spew their garbage all over the place so if you want to take it to Pms that's fine by me.

Comment

• You're
                                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                                X