FCC Chairman's Proposal Will Radically Change The Rules Of The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by svo855 View Post
    I got news for ya; they just did and you were to slow to see it.
    Oh really? please point me to that document where the government is now selling us internet.

Bunch of "hurrrr durrrr gubment bad, don't let dat damn obummer get mah internetz!"
    Last edited by CexMashean; 02-26-2015, 09:49 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
      I pay $70 for 25/5 connection, because comcast prevents any competition in my area. Pure. Fucking. Bullshit.
      I pay $50 for 3/512K and I'm lucky to get that. Same story, Windstream has a stranglehold on the rural areas. Shitty thing is that this change did nothing to stop that, at least from what I have been reading.

Comment

• basically the fcc was already supposed to be cracking the whip on the cable companies/providers, so now we have a 300 page semi secret document that only 5 people get to read to solve the problem! awesome!
        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

• Jesus christ guys, it's not an unknown bill. It's Title II. First opponents complain it's an antiquated law, now it's that we have no clue what's in it? Let's start quoting Pelosi like retards? Which one are you going to hinge your broken, partisan argument on? I'm pretty sure Title II is well known.

The questions remaining are what parts of Title II will the FCC forbear. Most of this is answered by the FCC fact sheet that was released a couple weeks ago.

Those of you claiming that service will go to shit are precisely the people I was referring to in post #51. Where were you 5 years ago while this was already happening? Has service gone to shit in the last 5 years?

Comment

Well enjoy that taste of victory while it last. Your cost per month will go up sooner rather than later. The net is sort of like an airliner in that the 1st class seats pay for most of the rid; get ride of 1st class and most carriers will have to raise their rates considerably.

The anger that you are exhibiting towards Comcast is what has been used to make you believe that this is about making things "Fair". This change is really just a MASSIVE power grab that will be used to control political content and you accepted that power grab because you believed that the government was out to help you by sticking it to a big company.
            No.

Your cost has been going up for years and will continue to go up due to a lack of competition in the market. The FCC has specifically stated it will forbear rate setting, so you can thank your local ISP for any price spikes due to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
              They literally just did this exact same thing on health care.

Healthcare was reclassified as a communications service by the FCC? Please, tell me more.

Comment

• Originally posted by exlude View Post
                No.

Your cost has been going up for years and will continue to go up due to a lack of competition in the market. The FCC has specifically stated it will forbear rate setting, so you can thank your local ISP for any price spikes due to this.
                I don't pay for internet service so my cost is and will remain zero.

This issue is never the issue. You are completely mistaken if you believe that this has anything to do with reining in the service providers or controlling cost. That is just what they told you to keep you from shooting them.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I don't pay for internet service so my cost is and will remain zero.

This issue is never the issue. You are completely mistaken if you believe that this has anything to do with reining in the service providers or controlling cost. That is just what they told you to keep you from shooting them.
                  You're completely mistaken, and that's obvious.
                  sigpic

Comment

• "I don't pay for it, so the cost doesn't matter."

Not to almost every other person in the country.

Don't you have more electric cars to build, pool boy?

Comment

• Originally posted by exlude View Post
                      Healthcare was reclassified as a communications service by the FCC? Please, tell me more.
                      You know exactly what I mean. Government took over healthcare by lying out of their ass, then took something that was working well, but needed some fine tuning, and fucked it up so now prices are going up fast and services will suffer if they haven't already. This internet takeover will have the same kind of result. They are lying about intentions. Soon the service will go to shit because they want it to, or they will severely over regulate it, then prices will go up. We are going to see a bunch of rules soon that make no sense, alot of spending and budget increases, and probably some stupid bills from congress we did not need. Just watch.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                        "I don't pay for it, so the cost doesn't matter."

Not to almost every other person in the country.

Don't you have more electric cars to build, pool boy?
                        The cost matters plenty but he said that my cost would go up and I pointed out why that was not going to be so.

I built my electric car 26 or so years ago and have moved on to bigger projects.

My pool company had nearly 2 million in sales last year and is listed with a broker for 1.6 million. What did your company bring in last year and how much is it worth?
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The cost matters plenty but he said that my cost would go up and I pointed out why that was not going to be so.

I built my electric car 26 or so years ago and have moved on to bigger projects.

My pool company had nearly 2 million in sales last year and is listed with a broker for 1.6 million. What did your company bring in last year and how much is it worth?
                          I find this hard to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                            I pay $70 for 25/5 connection, because comcast prevents any competition in my area. Pure. Fucking. Bullshit.
                            Are you sure that is because of Comcast or is because you live in the middle of nowhere and they are the only provider?

My biggest problem with all this is the idea that competition is some magic fix for what ails people with shitty internet. If you want to see how competition doesn't always fix things, just look at electricity here in Texas. Opening that up for competition just made it a more expensive mess. We pay the second highest price in the nation for electricity thanks to people shouting "competition" from the rooftops.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                              You know exactly what I mean. Government took over healthcare by lying out of their ass, then took something that was working well, but needed some fine tuning, and fucked it up so now prices are going up fast and services will suffer if they haven't already. This internet takeover will have the same kind of result. They are lying about intentions. Soon the service will go to shit because they want it to, or they will severely over regulate it, then prices will go up. We are going to see a bunch of rules soon that make no sense, alot of spending and budget increases, and probably some stupid bills from congress we did not need. Just watch.
                              Quoted for posterity. Just watch. Of course when this comes to pass the liberals will ignore the results, all they care about are the intentions.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                                Are you sure that is because of Comcast or is because you live in the middle of nowhere and they are the only provider?
                                I'm pretty sure being in plano, and one street over from being in dallas, excludes my "middle of nowhere" status.

One street over, coworker gets fios 50/50 at less than what I pay.

Is everyone really forgetting the throttling verizon was doing with netflix already? I know people HERE, IN DALLAS/PLANO, who were affected by this. Same thing also happened with Time Warner here in Plano. This is meant to stop them from doing that, among other things.
                                Last edited by CexMashean; 02-26-2015, 11:42 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X