Aircraft enthusiasts - odd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft enthusiasts - odd question

So as a nerd tracking the flight I am taking in the morning (WN655) from DAL to DCA, I noticed Flightaware tracked the aircraft in the middle of its journey traveling 617 MPH!

Thu 07:44:45 AM 33.7084 -94.2680 → 66° 536 617 36,625 1,182 Climbing FlightAware ADS-B (KCHK)

From what I have read, the maximum safe operating speed of a B737 is 564 mph

So is this a true air speed vs ground air speed reading error? Was the pilot truly pedal to the medal?

It's just interesting....

Best Flight Tracker: Live Tracking Maps, Flight Status, and Airport Delays for airline flights, private/GA flights, and airports.

Does it take into account tailwinds? Also could be different if it's measuring SOG?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

My favorite planes to track in FlightAware are the ones that don’t come up when you check.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        My favorite planes to track in FlightAware are the ones that don’t come up when you check.
        Could you track Air Farce 1?
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
          Could you track Air Farce 1?
          Yeah if the transponder is actually on. Which one are you tracking though? They always have a backup and decoy and alternate them. I mean they did with the last president at least, I'm not sure the new guy even leaves his house.

Comment

I have used FA a lot and seen a ton of planes to track on it. Reason I said that is because a few times I would hear (very loud) and then see in the sky (very high altitude) planes and they wouldn’t register on the app. You can always tell by the sound of its a military jet vs. a passenger plane.
            Last edited by Trip McNeely; 10-14-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

An airplanes maximum speed is maximum airspeed. The track that you were seeing is ground speed. There was a record set recently for a transatlantic crossing where a Boeing Triple 7 had a ground speed of just under one thousand miles an hour.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Flightaware uses Ground Speed. Been on Test hops on DC-10's, 767's, A-300's and 757's. That 75 really scoots!!
                Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

I have been using these guys.

Join the Official ADS-B Exchange Discord Server What is ADSBx? The world’s largest community of unfiltered ADS-B/Mode S/MLAT feeders, providing enthusiasts, researchers, and journalists access to the globe’s most extensive flight data for unprecedented flight monitoring. Elevate The Exchange Enhance the quality of our ADS-B Data by contributing to the community. Ways to Join The Read More ...

I was able to track some
                  stuff I ordered from Hong Kong.
                  Is it the same data?

Comment

You would think that with air conditions. You would have to adjust your airs speed. This made me think of the F117. Now to see it put to use.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                      You would think that with air conditions. You would have to adjust your airs speed. This made me think of the F117. Now to see it put to use.
                      Above 36,000 feet environmental conditions are very consistent until you get up to a height where there's not enough air for the engines.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                        An airplanes maximum speed is maximum airspeed. The track that you were seeing is ground speed. There was a record set recently for a transatlantic crossing where a Boeing Triple 7 had a ground speed of just under one thousand miles an hour.
                        Yup, that was pretty cool. NYC to London in 5:16

Ground speed was in the mid 700s though, not 1000.

Fucking awesome. That's one hell of a tailwind. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/british-airways-777-plane-blown-across-atlantic-supersonic-speeds-by-freak-jetstream-1482875 Visualization of the jet stream on Jan. 8, 2015, showing a swath of 200 knot winds blowing across the North Atlantic, affecting flights.

Comment

Working...
                        X