What's "stock" oil temp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's "stock" oil temp.

As the title says, what is considered normal stock oil temp? Had an old oil temp gauge an was going to put it on the Canton pan on the 66. It's off season and what the heck, already have the gauge.

Found the threads on the gauge won't fit the pan, so that's trash, but what is normal temp for oil in the pan.

66 coup, road race car.

5-10° higher than the coolant temp....so 195-205°

Comment

Probably not the best comparison, but my oil temps on my Truck are around 196, which is about 5 degrees cooler than the coolant temp. Because of the big ole trans cooler they put on the dodges with the trailer package, i see about 140 on hot day cruising around unloaded. 165-170 when pulling a car.

In other words, it's need to be just under your coolant temps. Or consider installing an oil cooler kit.

Comment

You want the oil temp to stay just over the boiling point of water. Having it any lower shortens the engine life pretty dramatically.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Normal 220, on the track 280, I don’t like to see over 300 on the track
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Thanks guys great help for the info.

Comment

My C4 and C5 vettes always ran pretty warm. 220-240*F in the summer.

Comment

Working...
              X