No announcement yet.

New Tesla roadster does 0 to 100 in 4.2 sec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bro! plaid! so awesome. that is almost worth the money alone.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
      But will it survive a lap of the Nurburgring without going into limp dick mode? Two?
      Not a prayer of that until battery technology has a massive evolutionary jump ahead if that is even possible.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        I doubt the 620 mile range claim; the rest is plausible but what else do you expect from a 2 million dollar super car?
        It'll depend heavily on speed and road conditions, but teslas have phenomenal drag coefficients so I'm sure keeping it under 55mph on a flat desert road can get you pretty far. It's also twice the capacity of the current highest pack.

Interestingly enough...200 kWh is only about 6 gallons of gas im terms of energy equivalency.

So a Tesla model S with an 85kWh pack has a range of 265 miles on an equivalent of about 2.5 gallons of gas. That should help understand just how big the difference is in efficiency.

Comment

High 8’s in the 1/4 mile is hauling ass period.

Comment

This is just another pump attempt in my opinion. He needs to stop worrying about trucks and sports cars and produce that economy car. If that doesn't happen the company is fucked.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
              High 8’s in the 1/4 mile is hauling ass period.
              Yep. The real question is can it deliver that much power to full depletion, or is it going to overheat. If it can that's badass and will make a fun "real track" car.

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              This is just another pump attempt in my opinion. He needs to stop worrying about trucks and sports cars and produce that economy car. If that doesn't happen the company is fucked.
              Agreed. Shiny new toys intended to prop up stock prices while people forget nothing gets delivered in a reasonable amount of time and no profits are ever turned.

Comment

I care as much about what it cost Telsa to build their new roadster as much as I care what it cost Apple to build the latest iphone or Ford to build the F150 Raptor. If people do choose to buy it, good for them. I don't think Tesla is going to run any major car manufacture out of business anytime soon especially because of the EV subsidy. It is a giant game and all companies play by the same crooked rules. I'm not in favor of any of the corporate welfare programs, but in this case at least the product seems to be something enough people are clamoring to get their hands on. Elon Musk has seemed to stir up a lot of shit with the model S and SpaceX.

Comment

You will see musk himself fight the subsidy here pretty soon as his 200K vehicles approaches. He knows that when he's no longer getting the support and other manufacturers are....that his competitive advantage erodes further.

And that's when the reality of good for the environment tax policies goes out the window for that asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
                    620 miles, on what roads/speeds?

I would like to see the true cost of these cars with how much Tesla is subsidized
                    There are not nearly as many subsidies as people think. There is a $7500 tax credit on each electric car but that is limited to a certain number of cars per model. The credit on the Model 3 will run out fairly quickly IF they actually get production ramped up.

Beyond that, Tesla did get some federally backed loans to get the Model S into production but that loan was paid back years ago.

There are also some state subsidies but that varies. Texas, for example, has no subsidy. California has an extra $7000 to throw on the hood. Here in Colorado, it's $5000. If you lease these cars, that money gets applied to the payment immediately. If you buy outright, you get it in your taxes.

One other thing, Musk has said he would support the removal of the federal tax credit. He could be blowing smoke but GM has said they need the credit to make the Chevy Bolt a profitable car. Musk could simply be hoping to hurt any future competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      A halo car can cover the funding cost of the battery tech that will be needed for an economy car. But I don't know why tesla needs an economy car, its a luxury brand I mean why would they try to compete with the Prius or Volt when they are selling so well.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                        A halo car can cover the funding cost of the battery tech that will be needed for an economy car. But I don't know why tesla needs an economy car, its a luxury brand I mean why would they try to compete with the Prius or Volt when they are selling so well.
                        They don't want to be a luxury brand.

Musk has stated several times that their plan is to start with expensive cars and work their way down to affordable cars. They don't want to be a niche player.

Comment

I can tell you one reason why, economies of scale. He wants to produce as many cars as he can to bring the cost of them down. Recent example... that truck is going to use the motors from the economy car.
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

The hate is real in this thread LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
                              The hate is real in this thread LOL.
                              Every time Tesla comes up too. I don’t get the hate.

Comment

0:46 for an acceleration clip, quiet and quick. He's not very well spoken, but you can't argue the car's stats. IMO he's a brilliant business man, and we aren't talking about a GM style bailout here, investors at least will have financed the development of cutting-edge battery technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X