Got a new smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Yes, mesquite is very strong. As is hickory. That's why I use a mixture of pecan and mesquite. For instance, 2 logs of pecan, then a log of mesquite. Repeat. If using chips, I'd use a mixture of 70% pecan, to 30% mesquite.

I don't care for oak at all.
    Tis better to learn from others mistakes. You have helped a ton thank you much Sir.

Comment

We just had the chicken. It was good. I just put some rub on it and put it on at the same time as the ribs and lets them get to about 170 and then finished them off on the grill

1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Holy cow what a difference. These ribs are awesome and have just the right amount of smoke (Hickory wood chips)

3-2-1 method rules!
        There's probably some kind of trimming or something I should have done before or after cooking but they still tasted great. Thanks!

(ignore the permi-burnt pan it was just a carrying tool)

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
          Holy cow what a difference. These ribs are awesome and have just the right amount of smoke (Hickory wood chips)

3-2-1 method rules!
          There's probably some kind of trimming or something I should have done before or after cooking but they still tasted great.
          Yeah, you can trim up some of the fat. Baby backs will always look better, but I still prefer the spares. I also forgot to mention, remove the silverskin from the ribs prior to smoking. I'm sure you did though, just wanted to add for anyone else getting tips from this. I'm always surprised at the amount of BBQ joints that don't do this.

Those fuckers were tender, weren't they?
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

^^^^your never gonna let it go.

Comment

You're right I did pull off the silver skin. And man were they good. Mmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                all this at 225 I assume? is this not an internal temp food like brisket?
                heh, I don't have a fancy smoker - but there are 2 types of 225 in my eyes.

1. Brisket/turkey...slow cook type of things. I do that are where it yo-yos 175-225ish...etc, depending on star alignment, wind chill factor etc....

2. My short cook (i.e. ribs) type of things.
                a. If ONLY smoking, it'll be the best I can maintain at 225-250.
                b. However, most of my ribs I follow up on the grill with some stuff too.

Either way, it's best if cooked more on the smoker than on the grill. Wait for bone to start to start getting exposed on the ends...etc. Good times.

err...guess point is - there is cool 225 and hot 225. Generally, with short cook time things a hotter 225 works better for me. Otherwise 3 hours turns into 4+...etc.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I run my poultry warmer at 300-325.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I'm sure you did though, just wanted to add for anyone else getting tips from this. I'm always surprised at the amount of BBQ joints that don't do this.

It's labor intensive when you're smoking 300 slabs a day. Plus the silver skin will keep the bottom of the ribs from burning and it's easy for the customer to pull it off when they are eating the rib.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                      It's labor intensive when you're smoking 300 slabs a day. Plus the silver skin will keep the bottom of the ribs from burning and it's easy for the customer to pull it off when they are eating the rib.
                      It takes a whopping 20-30 seconds to do it when trimming. It's not that labor intensive. As a consumer, I don't want to have to pull that crap off after it is cooked. Burning isn't an issue, either.

Comment

Okay, am I the only one that likes to eat that stuff on the bottom of the rib? I leave it on, cause I like it.

I actually had no idea so many people did not like it. May leave a rack with it on and take off on the rest now to make others happier.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          Okay, am I the only one that likes to eat that stuff on the bottom of the rib? I leave it on, cause I like it.

I actually had no idea so many people did not like it. May leave a rack with it on and take off on the rest now to make others happier.
                          It's like biting through wax paper. I hate it. I can't remove it as fast as Brent says but I'll fight it for 10 minutes if I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                            It's like biting through wax paper. I hate it. I can't remove it as fast as Brent says but I'll fight it for 10 minutes if I have to.
                            Don't worry no one can remove it as fast as Bcoop.

Comment

If you want a thinner, tangier sauce, try the Head Country sauce (we get it at walmart). Its my favorite to cook with.

How'd the brisket come out?

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                                Don't worry no one can remove it as fast as Bcoop.
                                I'm not claiming to be the fastest, you dumbshit. I'm saying it doesn't take long at all. And someone who trims meat all day can certainly do it faster than I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X