DIY - Convertible top fabric replacement only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY - Convertible top fabric replacement only

Guys, I am a new Mustang owner and started rebuilding my 2000 convertible that I bought in December.

I have done a bunch of work already but now it's time for the new top and I have heard some horrible stories.

I will be buying only the new fabric top with the plastic window at the moment; is this even a good ideal to start with or is there a plus to going back with the glass one ?

Now, I pretty much know how to do almost anything to a car however I have never tackled this - I will have about 4 friends helping me try and do it

The top is $200 New - is it worth me even trying this or do you think it's going to be a major mistake ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's not that difficult, just fucking time consuming, took me all day by myself. I was probably at the same skill level as you, never even touched a convertible top. The quality was fine, no real difference in them. Finished product.

Comment

I would highly recommend spending the extra to buy a sail cloth top over vinyl. It's much quieter, looks better,
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice and think I will go ahead and tackle this...

looks great JC316, where did you get yours and what type of fabric if you don't mind me asking ?

I think I will start looking for the sail cloth

Do you guys think glass over plastic matters really, mine does have the defroster however I honestly just cut a piece of Plexi and bolted mine in until I was able to do this

Comment

Originally posted by theflammer View Post
          Thanks guys for the advice and think I will go ahead and tackle this...

looks great JC316, where did you get yours and what type of fabric if you don't mind me asking ?

I think I will start looking for the sail cloth

Do you guys think glass over plastic matters really, mine does have the defroster however I honestly just cut a piece of Plexi and bolted mine in until I was able to do this
          Got mine off Ebay for like $250. It was the same material as the original top. The plastic will turn yellow over time, but mine lasted all summer and never showed any signs of yellowing.

Comment

any ideal on how many years before the yellow crap ?

I really don't want to spend $850 for one with a window and the ones I was looking at was on Ebay too.

I tried looking for one with the cloth type top that was mentioned as well to see the difference in price but didn't find one yet. figured I would look more tonight

Comment

Dallas mustang has them. The plastic back window is goodp for 2-4 years

Comment

I want to do mine with an 03 cobra cloth top. But in the time I need 2 hydraulic cylinders.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I would highly recommend spending the extra to buy a sail cloth top over vinyl. It's much quieter, looks better,
                  I was able to find the sail cloth as Baron had mentioned ( only $200 Ebay ) and it comes with the glass or plastic back -

I think I will actually go with the plastic window in the sail cloth; my main reasons aren't just based on saving $$$ but the fact that I feel better about maneuvering around this project with plastic and now glass plus I would hate to walk out and my window be shattered.

I will report back on how this project turns out and looking to buy from Dallas Mustang

Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    It's not that difficult, just fucking time consuming, took me all day by myself. I was probably at the same skill level as you, never even touched a convertible top. The quality was fine, no real difference in them. Finished product.

Really hope mine comes out half as nice as yours !

Any advice or things to look for ? Thanks

Comment

Really hope mine comes out half as nice as yours !

Any advice or things to look for ? Thanks

It's pretty simple really. Biggest thing to remember is that the top stretches, so if you think it's tight enough, probably safe to tighten it a bit further.

Comment

Top completed

So I took the advice on here and tackled the job myself.

I ordered the Sail Cloth top, I only needed really the Torx bits and patience.

Mine actually came out really good and sounds great going down the highway and the look is very solid.

Already received two compliments from strangers lol

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped

Comment

So I took the advice on here and tackled the job myself.

I ordered the Sail Cloth top, I only needed really the Torx bits and patience.

Mine actually came out really good and sounds great going down the highway and the look is very solid.

Already received two compliments from strangers lol

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped
                          Right on.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Good job! Where are the pics?

Comment

excellent man, +1 for pics?
                              Originally posted by stevo
                              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X