last wiring question....i promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last wiring question....i promise

ok so i got all the dash wiring done and now the last thing i need is my electric fans, here is the set up, dual fans wiring going from fans then 1 wire to ground (which is grounded to the sway bar bracket) then the other going to a relay, from the relay one wire goes to fuses then to the + of the battery, one wire goes to the fuse box, and one wire to the temp switch or sensor (whatever it is).

i check the wiring at the fuse box and my test light comes on with both prongs of the fuse.

i test at the fuses after the battery going to the relay and both fuses light up my light.

i thought it my switch/sensor went bad so i bought one from autozone and tested it a couple of ways, first i heated up the end of the switch with a heat gun but could only get it to 200 degrees, that didn't turn on the fans with the key in the on position, next i heated up some water to boiling still could only get it to 200 degrees and dipped the switch/sensor and still no fans. i couldn't remember what my switch was suppose to kick the fans on so i went to summit and bought one that kicked the fans on at 180, so i boiled water to 200 and dipped the switch in and still nothing.

when i hook up my light to the - of the battery and touch the tip to the wire that goes to the switch the fans kick on

i looked online and everything looks to be right.

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Can you draw a diagram?

Comment

If that’s a switch and you only have one wire running to it, then it only stands to reason that the other pole of the switch is ground. Touch the wire you have going to the switch to battery negative. See if it kicks on.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
        If that’s a switch and you only have one wire running to it, then it only stands to reason that the other pole of the switch is ground. Touch the wire you have going to the switch to battery negative. See if it kicks on.
        yes it kicks the fans on

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
          Can you draw a diagram?
          just double everything, but goes from 2 wires to 1 to the thermo switch

Comment

Then it is only going to work if it’s heated up AND grounded by being installed in the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
              Then it is only going to work if it’s heated up AND grounded by being installed in the intake.
              how can i rig it to make sure my switch is good, im trying to do this so that i know it works when the coolant heats up and i dont over heat my car. or is there no way to do that?

Comment

Run the car and watch your Fancy new auto meter temp gauge. If it goes over whatever the fan switches rated temp is without kicking the fans on you got a problem. Shut the car off before it overheats. You can double check the auto meter gauge with an infrared thermometer too if you’re really paranoid.

Comment

so since these ground to the intake, is it better to use teflon tape or liquid teflon

Comment

I bet either will work. But that’s a good question. I prefer tape just b/c the other is messy and I’ve got a bunch of polished stuff. I imagine either will get a ground through them though.

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                      so since these ground to the intake, is it better to use teflon tape or liquid teflon
                      The tape will be more prone to interfere with the ground potentially causing sporadic or non-working sensor.

Comment

The tape will be fine, it will still make ground contact through the threads. Just give it a couole wraps and thread it in and snuggle it good.

Comment

Working...
                        X