No announcement yet.

2007 GMC Sierra gave up the ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you dont need the harness computer etc. you need a shortblock. or a long block. i have an 01 5.3 on a stand, but you may be better off finding someone one ls swap pages with a full motor, or go to LKQ and spend a few hundred more but at least have someone to bitch to when you hit a snag. dont 6.0 swap it. unplug the harness, find the same year motor, dont do anything to it except drop it in and plug it back up.
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Does that engine have the active cylinder management(4 cylinder mode)?

If so, those engines had issues with the special lifters for that mode. Sometimes those issues cause a tapping noise. Of course replacing lifters requires a head pull, which can be a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
        whats the oil PSI?
        about 40 on the factory gauge

and stop starting it!
        well....I keep hoping it goes away

you dont need the harness computer etc. you need a shortblock. or a long block. i have an 01 5.3 on a stand, but you may be better off finding someone one ls swap pages with a full motor, or go to LKQ and spend a few hundred more but at least have someone to bitch to when you hit a snag. dont 6.0 swap it. unplug the harness, find the same year motor, dont do anything to it except drop it in and plug it back up.
        I know but if I'm going to pull the engine anyway, and a 6.0 isn't too much more, then why not?

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
        Does that engine have the active cylinder management(4 cylinder mode)?

If so, those engines had issues with the special lifters for that mode. Sometimes those issues cause a tapping noise. Of course replacing lifters requires a head pull, which can be a pain in the ass.
        Yes...Worse. Feature. Ever! I would get about 5k miles between oil changes before the low oil light came on. When that happens it's about a quart low. It came on about a week ago and I was planning to get an oil change. It holds 6 quarts so I don't think I oil-starved it.

Comment

Won't let.me see the video. If holding steady oil.pressure I'd pull the cam and lifters out and trays.

Comment

yep
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Sounds like lifters or something. Oil psi at 40 doesn't indicate rod bearing or crank but I could be wrong.

Comment

My 5.3 uses about 1/3 qt of oil every 400 miles. You probably ran it low like you said. I top it off at every fill up. If I don't keep it full it kinda knocks when I start it up. If it is full it sounds like new. I have about 163,000 on the engine.

Comment

Comment

Likely just lifters. Check the filter for bearing material and if it looks good pull the cam to inspect for damage.

Comment

If this truck doesn't end up with 6 liters or more, i'm going to be disappointed.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                        If this truck doesn't end up with 6 liters or more, i'm going to be disappointed.
                        Now you'll know how all of your girlfriends have felt.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                          Now you'll know how all of your girlfriends have felt.
                          Emotionally and physically battered?
                          sigpic

Comment

pic of the truck?

unless its a RCSB I cant really see any benefit to doing a 6.0 swap. i assure you there will be more to it than a long block swap, and now you are looking for a specific year model motor, etc to make the truck run as factory.

but i digress, just speaking from experience.
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

This is why I'm glad I have my LY2. That bish is dead reliable and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Sorry about your bad luck George.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                                Emotionally and physically battered?
                                True, I have a 2016 f150 with a 5.o now. I recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                                X