GoPro advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro advice

I started looking at a GoPro for the trail riding and videos of car stuff that I do but I’m not sure about video quality and what is going to be good enough. Is 720p and 960p worth worrying about FPS, or just 1080? I don’t have fancy enough shit to even think about 4K.

I have a hero4 - I had the higher end one - but downgraded to the one with the LED screen for aiming purposes. I only use it for baseball/softball game recordings and such.

I do 1080P for everything. The biggest bummer about the gopro is heat and overheating. The hero5 is no different and does 4K so imagine the heat issue is even higher - but riding may keep it cool enough - mine sit in the sun with no wind often and simply can't stay cool like that, so I keep a cooler with the batteries in it and swap them to help keep it cool. PITA but is what it is...

I will say I need 2 now and am highly considering one of the knock offs that use the same accessories. ...but I'd say 1080P with one of the gopro's lower FOV would be good deal for you and riding. I use a wide FOV to get the entire field from one of the baselines and there is a bit of a fisheye appearance. They are very durable and that's where you may want a gopro over a knock off - but I simple am not familiar enough with the knock offs.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Buy the off brand yi on amazon if you want cost effective.

You want FPS if you're doing slow motion. And you dont want anything less than 720p at the slow motion rates. I use the 240 fps for general slow motion and 960fps for super slow motion like impacts, explosions and crashes.

The main thing I hate about action cameras is the fisheye lens. It's easier and cheaper to make those optics so they all tend to stick to them unless you want to spend more on the Sony RX0

Comment

Hero5 Black here. I film everything in 1080 or 720p. Wide FOV is nice for riding, narrow is better for car stuff.

Comment

I have a hero4 hero4 Black, session, and a hero3. I also have a half dozen knock off versions. I must say I'm a gopro only guy now. they just work better, and the video looks better. I got most of mine from pawn shops to save money, and I recommend that as a go too. For the stuff you want to do I'd recommend the Gopro Session. Only flaw that one has is that the battery isn't removable.

Comment

I have the Hero6 Black and the voice control is a nice option but frankly most people will be just fine with the Hero5.

I was in western Colorado last week and shot a ton of video. This is a time laps of the Milky Way. My first time trying it and it's super short but you can get an idea of the capabilities of this camera. BTW, buy an extra battery. It eats through the one it has. Also, GoPro is having a deal to give a free miniSD card.

Comment

I think I have a hero3 black and a hero 5 session... but honestly I haven't messed with them in a while. Pretty much bought them with points off my amex card for fun. I am planning on using one on my CNC machine to film it cutting.

The only thing I didn't like is that they made a lot of function go through the app.

I do hear good things about the Yi action cams.

Comment

I have a dive trip in Grand Cayman next month and was looking at my Go Pro Hero Hero2 and starting thinking about updating it. The new Hero 6 is nice with the stability enhancements and other features, but I decided to go with the Hero5. Sams currently has the Hero5, with the following bundle options for 299.00

This bundle has a few options that all the other big box stores sell for the same price as the basic camera.

Bundle includes:

GoPro HERO5 Black Camera
                Head Strap Mount
                QuickClip Mount
                Dual Battery Charger
                Curved + Flat Adhesive Mounts
                Mounting Buckle
                The Frame
                2 Rechargeable Batteries
                USB-C Charging Cable
                SanDisk Extreme 16GB microSD Card

Comment

Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I’d buy a Hero5. The 6 is nice but the 5 is a much better value, especially with the package Silver mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                  X