No announcement yet.

Missing 777

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW that wired link Matt posted early on seems to be holding up.

Comment

• Comment

• I'm happy to see we only have one plane looking for the missing jet. I'm surprised Obama hasn't sent a billion dollars in financial aid.

Comment

• i thought we had some ships looking too...

Comment

• Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
            i thought we had some ships looking too...
            Called off due to exhausting of funds

Comment

• Wait a minute. You mean the plane hasnt been secretly highjacked and hidden from millions of people and isnt being rigged with a bomb as we speak!!

Comment

• My prediction once they recover enough pieces to determine what happened - I think they had a fire onboard, which is what caused them to make that sudden turn towards the closest piece of land (or possibly attempted turnaround).
                70' Chevelle RagTop
                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

• Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                  My prediction once they recover enough pieces to determine what happened - I think they had a fire onboard, which is what caused them to make that sudden turn towards the closest piece of land (or possibly attempted turnaround).
                  Read the wired magazine article posted early on, that's basically what it says. Pilots turned to that 13k' runway, became incapacitated, plane continued on auto until gas was diminished.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                    Read the wired magazine article posted early on, that's basically what it says. Pilots turned to that 13k' runway, became incapacitated, plane continued on auto until gas was diminished.
                    Sounds good, except...

The 'target' emergency runway they aimed toward is further away than the airport they took off from.

There was no communication to the ground of their intention to depart from the set course.

It made yet another turn toward southward, and there were several elevation changes before it crashed 1200 miles south and west of Perth, Australia. None of that would have happened if the autopilot was engaged and the pilots were incapacitated.

The whole story still reeks of bullshit...

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      Sounds good, except...

The 'target' emergency runway they aimed toward is further away than the airport they took off from.

There was no communication to the ground of their intention to depart from the set course.

It made yet another turn toward southward, and there were several elevation changes before it crashed 1200 miles south and west of Perth, Australia. None of that would have happened if the autopilot was engaged and the pilots were incapacitated.

Is that a newly updated radar tracking? That route is not what was originally reported. Also the elevation changes have not been confirmed, have they? The 45k number has disappeared quickly it seems, but I haven't kept up with much of this lately.

Comment

• They're almost to the moon by now.

Comment

Oh yeah. I'm not believing shit, especially anything the Malaysians have to say, until someone starts pulling wreckage out of the ocean and finds explicit data recording information. At this point, I feel like they'll say anything just to get the rest of the world to go back to forgetting they exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                            Is that a newly updated radar tracking?
                            Nope. Sorry, I should have explained the image. That is one of the first proposed trajectory images, and is based on radar tracking of the initial direction change. The 13k' "emergency landing runway" that was discussed is on one of the Andaman Islands.

Assuming the second direction change was also intentional, and if they intended to land, why did they head south toward oblivion instead of back toward Malaysia?

Also the elevation changes have not been confirmed, have they? The 45k number has disappeared quickly it seems, but I haven't kept up with much of this lately.
                            The story changes so dramatically, and so often, it's near impossible to keep up with what is "confirmed" or not. The last I heard, data from satellites and radar seems to show the airplane as low as 12k, as high as 45k, and for some period of time steady at 29k.
                            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Nope. Sorry, I should have explained the image. That is one of the first proposed trajectory images, and is based on radar tracking of the initial direction change. The 13k' "emergency landing runway" that was discussed is on one of the Andaman Islands.

Assuming the second direction change was also intentional, and if they intended to land, why did they head south toward oblivion instead of back toward Malaysia?

The story changes so dramatically, and so often, it's near impossible to keep up with what is "confirmed" or not. The last I heard, data from satellites and radar seems to show the airplane as low as 12k, as high as 45k, and for some period of time steady at 29k.
                              The runway i was referring to is on Palau Langkawi, not the Andaman islands. Maybe i was incorrect on the 13k' statement. If you correlate the initially reported turn southwest, it took a bearing towards that island. The speculation was this was an unobstructed approach which would be easier on the plane than flying back over the mountains to KL.

Comment

• This story has had so much speculation and BS reported around it....and compound that with the fact we're dealing with an Asian govt. The real story may never come out.

I'm actually basing my guess off of what my Dad has said for a long time (Retired from AA as a lead maintenance Director on 767 & 777)....he's always said it's only a matter of time before a fire brings a 777 down. He has some horror stories about burned wiring and over-heated battery banks that managed to stay quiet and out of the media for a while now.

We all know that fire is a pilot's worst fear, and one thing that can/will cripple an aircraft in a hurry....avionics, radios, transponder, etc. You lose all that crap suddenly and it could look like something intentional.
                                70' Chevelle RagTop
                                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                                X