Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
    So I have no recovery gear. What are some good (cheap) items to start off buying?
    I got a tow strap and shackle/D-ring on Amazon, not much $$$

D-Ring

Strap

Comment

• Forecast looks pretty nasty for next Saturday, but we all know that could change. Just thought I’d mention it.

Comment

• Thanks. Looking for stuff to start adding to my gear and this sounds like a good start.

BTW looks like rain in the forecast for next weekend and for a few days.

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
          Is it crazy to try and bring a 2 Wheel Dr. vehicle on any of those trails? Reason being, I’ve always had a love for FJ cruiser‘s and one got traded in several months ago and I purchased it on a whim. A girl actually owned it and had a bubblegum pink brush guard and pink pinstriping on it. I manned it up a little bit by painting the guard black and removing the pinstriping, 3 inch lift with bigger tires and some performance mods but the biggest disappointment was, a day after I purchased it, I sat in it and was looking around and thought, hmm where the hell is the 4 Wheel Dr. shifter? Damn thing is 2wd but at least it has a lockout switch.

David
          Any pics? I had no idea they made a 2 wheel drive FJ.

Comment

So I have no recovery gear. What are some good (cheap) items to start off buying?
            Short of a winch your self-recover options are somewhat limited, and also some is very dependent on the environments you expect to encounter.

Start with a tow strap, so at least someone can help you (if they don't have one) or you can help someone else. There are two primary types, those with stretch (kinetic ropes / straps), and those without. The latter is best used as an extension or just to pull a disabled vehicle when not stuck. You don't want to 'jerk' on someone to try and get them unstuck with those as they don't give, you risk damage to the vehicles. The kinetic ropes are designed for that though, and in addition reducing the potential for damage, the stretching action actually multiplies the effort when pulling someone unstuck. Really, having one of each is a good option, so you can use the rigid strap for flat towing and as an extension for the kinetic line (or a winch line).

You can get straps for a decent price, but the kinetic lines are expensive ($100+ Example) and will eventually loose their effectiveness (stretch) with use. I have heard some say you really only get a couple of good uses, but there are so many variables, who knows.. I have some heard some anecdotal evidence that on lighter vehicles 20+ pulls is possible, with diminishing effectiveness as it looses it's 'rebound', or whatever you call it, since that is what multiples the force for getting out of mud or the like. I have found a few kinetic straps designed for industrial use that are about half the price of those targeting off-roaders, and assume they would do well, but don't know for sure.. I don't have one yet, but do plan to get one, and may likely start with one of those.

Then there are some obvious items like a shovel, machete, hand saw (like a bow saw for cutting limbs), mattock, etc.. These are items you would need to dig yourself out, or to clear the trail of blockages, etc.

Various types of jacks can be beneficial..
            -The obvious there is the Farm Jack (Hi-Lift). The positive of those is not only can you use them to lift, you can use them as a hand winch, pry tool, and a number of other uses with the appropriate attachments. They also have a long travel distance. The down-side is they are not very stable; without proper attachments or lift points on your vehicle, they are pretty useless; they can be dangerous during use (example - when lowering the jack under load); and if you do need to use it to lift the vehicle, you will most likely be doing so from the body or bumpers, requiring you to lift high enough to overcome the suspension droop. You also need a good wide base to use with it on soft ground.
            -Another jack that can useful is a bottle jack. First, this will usually be the best option for changing tires, as you can get it under the axle and do not have to lift far to get the tire off the ground. Another pro is that you can just drive off it when you are done. They are pretty compact and portable, and very reasonably priced. Of course, like any, you still need a firm base for off pavement use, and they typically have very short handles so you have to get some of your body under the vehicle to use it.

Of course, you need good recovery points on your vehicle.. A place to connect straps or ropes, that will support the forces of yanking and towing. Your recovery point should connect to your frame for the best result, and most factory bumpers are highly inadequate. There are recovery hooks you can buy and bolt to your frame, of course you need to be sure you use quality hardware (like grade 8 bolts). NEVER ATTACH A STRAP OR ROPE TO YOUR TOW BALL, ESPECIALLY TO 'YANK' A VEHICLE! Tow balls will sheer off and become a baseball sized cannon ball. Most people don't realize, if you are going to attach a strap to your hitch, you are best off just using a quality hitch pin and attach the strap to that:

I bought one of these when I had the Suburban before I knew about that last part, and they work too, but generally speaking you want to use as few connections / shackles / etc. as possible, to avoid introducing more potential failure points.

If you get a winch, then you open the door to a large number of additional items, like tree straps, pulleys (snatch blocks), anchors, etc..

Comment

• I'm still in for Sat the 9th.. Open to time, but after 10 or so would be best so I don't have to get up so early.

Just going to have to play it by ear regarding the weather.. That said, even if it's a bit wet, I'm still down.. Why is everyone so afraid of a little rain? Both Jared and I have winches / straps / snatch blocks / etc.. Don't be skeered!

We should cook lunch out there too (grill some burgers or something)! The pavilion is pretty big, so even if raining there should be plenty of covered space to cook and eat.

Attached Files

Comment

• Chili, have you been to Bridgeport before?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• I’m not scared of rain, I just don’t find excessive mud that enjoyable. It gets everywhere (as you well know), and I don’t care to track it inside my truck or all over my shoes and clothes.

Jose, I have all of the items that Craig mentioned above, and I’ll be happy to show you. I have a kinetic rope, I’ve yet to use it, but I’m a fan of a regular strap. You don’t want to try to yank anyone out with one, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get someone unstuck. You just ease into the pull until the slack is gone, much like using a winch. Even with a kinetic rope, I’m not a big fan of sudden yanking on anything. Maybe I’ll change my mind if/when I ever use one.

If you’re looking for recovery options for when you’re solo, and a winch isn’t in the cards, you may check out traction boards. I had a cheap set at one time, and they sucked, but other people swear by the more expensive ones, like Maxtrax.

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    If you’re looking for recovery options for when you’re solo, and a winch isn’t in the cards, you may check out traction boards. I had a cheap set at one time, and they sucked, but other people swear by the more expensive ones, like Maxtrax.
                    I don't think I'll ever get a wench, mostly because I would never fit in the garage with one. Right now I have 2 inches of clearance if I pulled it into the spot Lyn's truck is in.
                    Perhaps a cum-a-long would also help, if you're solo. Plus, it could be used around the house (not a very long cable on them tho).

Comment

Any pics? I had no idea they made a 2 wheel drive FJ.

Purchased a similar set of these but have yet to try them out.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post

Purchased a similar set of these but have yet to try them out.

David

I have some of those and have used them twice on friends’ vehicles to get out of my driveway in the snow. They work, but you have to make sure they clear everything, and if you are too aggressive they could cause some carnage.

Comment

• Craig, excellent information! Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to start by buying some non kinetic recovery straps and some quality hardware. I'll have to do some reading up on the F150 forums to see about vehicle specific stuff. Speaking of which, because of the placement of the intercooler, there is not an easy way to mount a winch because it get blocked.

Anyway, I'm in for Saturday. Picked up my sticker today so I'm ready. I don't mind a little rain, just don't want to be out there in a down pour or if it's been raining for a couple of days or so. Meeting up after 10am or so is fine with me to. I guess we can figure out more details later in the week. If we want to cookout there I have a small grill I can bring.

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                          Chili, have you been to Bridgeport before?

I know he's been at least once.

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                          I don't think I'll ever get a wench, mostly because I would never fit in the garage with one. Right now I have 2 inches of clearance if I pulled it into the spot Lyn's truck is in.
                          Perhaps a cum-a-long would also help, if you're solo. Plus, it could be used around the house (not a very long cable on them tho).
                          Same for me on the wench but for a different reason.

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                          I’m not scared of rain, I just don’t find excessive mud that enjoyable. It gets everywhere (as you well know), and I don’t care to track it inside my truck or all over my shoes and clothes.

Jose, I have all of the items that Craig mentioned above, and I’ll be happy to show you. I have a kinetic rope, I’ve yet to use it, but I’m a fan of a regular strap. You don’t want to try to yank anyone out with one, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get someone unstuck. You just ease into the pull until the slack is gone, much like using a winch. Even with a kinetic rope, I’m not a big fan of sudden yanking on anything. Maybe I’ll change my mind if/when I ever use one.

Thanks for the info Jared. I've heard good things about the Maxtrax and seen some people I follow on YouTube use them. Might be something to look into as well

cobrajet69, for some reason I was thinking an older FJ like a 30 or 40. Still, it boggles my mind that the one you have is a 2 wheel drive version. Clean ride. You going to try and make it out there?

Comment

• In the process of buying another FJ just like mine but in 4 Wheel Dr. version and selling mine to my brother who wants to give it to his daughter. Going to try and transact it on Monday but the car is in Littleton Colorado and would have to have it shipped. I seriously doubt I’ll be able to make Saturday because that’s our busiest day at work and it’s extremely difficult for management to take a day off on Saturdays. I’m staying in this thread though because there is some good info in here.

David

Comment

• Understood. Hopefully this might be a somewhat regular thing and you can make it sometime.

Comment

• I am in but have a BB game that will be over at 10 so I should be there by 11ish.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                                X