No announcement yet.

Smoked Turkey or Fried???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fried turkey I was given is still mostly in the tin but the smoked one is half gone. The fried was dry, the smoked was very juicy and tender.

Also, I am reconsidering the big green egg, my neighbor has the attachment that has a fan on a controller that keeps it right on the temp you set it. I was impressed.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I like fried, but if done properly, smoked is just flat out better.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        My fried turkey I was given is still mostly in the tin but the smoked one is half gone. The fried was dry, the smoked was very juicy and tender.

Also, I am reconsidering the big green egg, my neighbor has the attachment that has a fan on a controller that keeps it right on the temp you set it. I was impressed.
        The trailer we ended up borrowing had 2 ports to stick the bbq guru in.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

My smoked turkey was a hit, as was the smoked turkey breast. No one even missed the roasted turkey and we had more room and time for sides to cook in the oven!
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

We smoked an entire temderloin and turkey on Wednesday and reheated them in the oven. Wife and mom did the sides and swore this was way easier than trying to roast or fry a turkey the day of. Leftover smoked turkey sandwiches have been a big hit too.

Comment

Smoked turkey came out great.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                The trailer we ended up borrowing had 2 ports to stick the bbq guru in.
                We've been trying to figure out a solution on ours to put a fan on the fire box, it's really the only issue we've ever had, keeping the fire hot when there isnt wind.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Anyone got a kickass smoked turkey recipe? I think I’m gonna smoke a turkey for my parents for Christmas.
                  I have a bullshit little bullet smoker but it’s done lots of things great
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Say goodbye to dry turkey! Smoke your Thanksgiving turkey with Steven Raichlen's Double Whiskey-Smoked Turkey recipe.

This is the recipe my pops followed and it was great. Nothing left over at all

Comment

Also, if you're not already familiar with Steven Raichlen...hes got some great stuff out there. He takes it much further than the typical texas style bbq will ever venture. Dont get me wrong...i loveFranklin's, but sometimes vanilla and missionary get boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        Also, if you're not already familiar with Steven Raichlen...hes got some great stuff out there. He takes it much further than the typical texas style bbq will ever venture. Dont get me wrong...i loveFranklin's, but sometimes vanilla and missionary get boring.
                        The Bob Ross of BBQ. He's a beating to listen to/watch. He's got some good stuff, but some is overly complex and meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                          Anyone got a kickass smoked turkey recipe? I think I’m gonna smoke a turkey for my parents for Christmas.
                          I have a bullshit little bullet smoker but it’s done lots of things great
                          Mad Max Recipe. Recipe is same, cooking instructions are for a kamado, but it can be adapted to any smoker.

Comment

The Bob Ross of BBQ. He's a beating to listen to/watch. He's got some good stuff, but some is overly complex and meh.
                            Haha that's a really good way of describing him. I normally just read from project smoke, but will agree that some of that nonsense is waaaaay more work than most bbq. But his smoked twice baked potatoes and the chinese 5 spice ribs are top notch.

We will see if his pastrami recipe is any good this weekend.

Mad Max Recipe. Recipe is same, cooking instructions are for a kamado, but it can be adapted to any smoker.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturke...maxturkey2.htm
                            Icing the breasts is pretty brilliant. I'm guessing that's the best way around having to do a long brine and still ensure it doesnt dry out.

Comment

But his smoked twice baked potatoes and the chinese 5 spice ribs are top notch.

I just can't get down with the 5 spice. I made some lamb chop lollipops with it once, and gross. So gross. They tasted like licorice. I may try those 5 spice ribs to give it another shot, but so far so bad for me.

Icing the breasts is pretty brilliant. I'm guessing that's the best way around having to do a long brine and still ensure it doesnt dry out.
                              I'd still brine. Brine will help the whole turkey be juicy. Icing the breasts just makes sure they cook evenly with the thighs. Otherwise, you get 195 degree thighs by the time the breast hits 165. And while that will certainly dry the thighs out, you still get benefit for the whole bird by brining.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                                We've been trying to figure out a solution on ours to put a fan on the fire box, it's really the only issue we've ever had, keeping the fire hot when there isnt wind.
                                Ink-bird has a couple of controllers that'll go up to 248° F. You could run a pretty big box fan off of one, assuming you have 110V available of course.

Not as nice as a BBQ Guru but it's less than 1/4 of the price. Their Party Q might work if you weld on an adapter and they run on 4 AA batteries but again it's more money. Not sure if it'll move enough air for that beast of a smoker you have though.

Comment

Working...
                                X