No announcement yet.

Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad always put his antennas on hood channel mounts, and since I was a kid I always liked the look.

I put it on a spring for the tight trails. I can also tie it down if needed.

I also built a new platform in the rear. I just wanted something really simple and didn't want actual drawers on slides since the space is already tight, and that costs you so precious inches. I still need to sand and finish, and will also be adding a slide out table just above the boxes, below the platform. It will just be on angle aluminum with felt. Hard to explain but this youtube video is where I got the idea.

Skip to 7:53 for the finished product:

The left box will be for kitchen and food, the thing on the right has all of my recovery gear.

We cook on the tailgate table, so the slide-out table will be perfect for food prep / work space. I already had the led strips in that light both areas well.

The support walls on the sides line up with the factory cargo tie downs so the platform will be very secure. There is still a good amount of room on either side, and the back right (behind the rear passenger side seat) will extend to the side of the Jeep but with a hinge to flip up to access. I think this will work great for camping and Fern and I will get to test it out in Moab next month!

Ignore the carpet, btw, that's just the factory rear mat. This is pretty nice looking read oak, so I will probably do a stain and seal it to bring out the grain.

Attached Files

Comment

• Nice write up and upgrades. So are you planning on keeping the Jeep? I'm wanting to get my HAM radio license as well and hope to take advantage of repeaters along the loop and other places. I'll have to talk to you about that sometime.

Comment

• Looks fricken great, Craig!
        My Dad always had a CB in his van's when I was growing up, and the rear bumper mounted "whip" antenna's. I always liked them long ass things, lol. On the car's he had a trunk mounted antenna, magnetic, so it could be moved, or put in the trunk easily.

If I remember correctly, in HS we had CB's, and there was a little light bulb with 2 wires, we wrapped it on the antenna, and when the mic was keyed, it lit up.
        CB's were all the rage in the 70's/80's!

Comment

• Got the truck back, I like it, a lot!!! 2 inch level kit, Toyo Open Country AT II's. Going back tomorrow for a headlight upgrade, these Ford's have shit for lighting!

Thanks for the shop recommendation guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
            Got the truck back, I like it, a lot!!! 2 inch level kit, Toyo Open Country AT II's. Going back tomorrow for a headlight upgrade, these Ford's have shit for lighting!

Thanks for the shop recommendation guys!

Looks like a truck now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• A little old but a few pics from northwest back in December

07 f250-family truckster
              08 Denali -baby hauler
              52 f1-rust bucket
              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

• Craig, looks good! Is it basically a "fuck the rearview mirror" kind of thing, though?

Rob, looks good! I look forward to your long-term opinion on those tires. Did you go with the E-rated?

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Craig, looks good! Is it basically a "fuck the rearview mirror" kind of thing, though?

Rob, looks good! I look forward to your long-term opinion on those tires. Did you go with the E-rated?
                  I think they are LT.
                  I can definitely hear some road hum on the hiways, but not too much.Went in this morning and got some HID lights in the fogs and low beams, huge difference!

Before:
                  No lights on:
                  Halogens:

After:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    Nice write up and upgrades. So are you planning on keeping the Jeep? I'm wanting to get my HAM radio license as well and hope to take advantage of repeaters along the loop and other places. I'll have to talk to you about that sometime.
                    Yeah, I think it's going to be the best option long term, factoring in my plans for a van build and whatnot.

As far as HAM, I'm probably not a very good resource yet, as I have not yet gotten too far into it other than understanding the capabilities and limitations. I just grabbed this radio to be able to monitor for now, since a lot of 4x4 group have moved to that. With the Moab trip coming up I figured it would be good to have if any of the groups we are running with use them. So I have all of the common available to hear instruction, at least: CB, HAM and FRS (and you can hit FMRS frequencies with this radio, though my understanding is that may not be legal due to the 5w power and you need a separate license for FMRS). But yeah man, I am happy to share what little knowledge I have so far.

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                    Looks fricken great, Craig!
                    My Dad always had a CB in his van's when I was growing up, and the rear bumper mounted "whip" antenna's. I always liked them long ass things, lol. On the car's he had a trunk mounted antenna, magnetic, so it could be moved, or put in the trunk easily.

If I remember correctly, in HS we had CB's, and there was a little light bulb with 2 wires, we wrapped it on the antenna, and when the mic was keyed, it lit up.
                    CB's were all the rage in the 70's/80's!
                    Thanks Rob, yours looks much better too! Hope you're doing well!

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    Craig, looks good! Is it basically a "fuck the rearview mirror" kind of thing, though?

I know you saw it yesterday and all, but for others interested, it actually doesn't block the rear-view, it sits right above it.

That said, the rear view is mostly useless anyway, do to the 35" spare, rear headrests, and otherwise shitty visibility in the JKU's. And forget it when loaded with camping gear. Front and rear cameras are on the list, and one of the main reasons I upgraded the head-unit recently! Just trying to figure out where I want to mount them so I can decide which style of camera to get. Once I do get the rear camera, I will probably just remove the rear view mirror since the windshield visibility is even so limited.

Comment

• Went to order a set of sliders yesterday. The shipping was going to be $250 and take 3-4 weeks. Fug that.

Really wish I knew of a fab shop that has done these before, has time to knock them out quickly, and wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg. Baertrax in Dallas is great, and I've had several things done there, but they are extremely proud of their work. I really don't want to drop a small fortune on rock sliders.

Better yet, I wish I had the equipment and experience to make them myself.

Comment

Went to order a set of sliders yesterday. The shipping was going to be $250 and take 3-4 weeks. Fug that.

Really wish I knew of a fab shop that has done these before, has time to knock them out quickly, and wouldn't charge me an arm and a leg. Baertrax in Dallas is great, and I've had several things done there, but they are extremely proud of their work. I really don't want to drop a small fortune on rock sliders.

Better yet, I wish I had the equipment and experience to make them myself.
                        Holy crap, that is half the cost of the sliders probably!
                        I had Mike's Off Road order the RCI full skid plate kit, 1/4 aluminum, black powder coated, rear Fox 2.0 shocks and hi beam HID lights to have all 3 the same. Can't wait to get them installed!
                        Mike's has quickly become my favorite place, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                          Looks like a truck now.

Looks good!

I’m probably going to hit them up for the same tires, different size, here pretty quick.

Craig that’s some really good work on the jeep too!

David

Comment

• Anyone able to get out there Mar 16 or 17? It’s my last chance before I go back to CO, and my truck may never be back down here in TX.

Comment

Anyone able to get out there Mar 16 or 17? It’s my last chance before I go back to CO, and my truck may never be back down here in TX.
                              I may be able to the 16th

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                                I may be able to the 16th

Let’s make it happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X