3rd Gen Explorer Rear Hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Explorer Rear Hatch

My second one is cracked. They all crack.

Is there a fix? I've heard that of you spread the adhesive over the whole piece like icing a cake instead of just putting a squiggly line across it, that helps. I wonder if there is truth to that.

I need one painted and installed, but I'd like to know that it won't just crack again in a year. The Explorer needs a few other things done, too.

I have a source for a reproduction that isnt SUPPOSED to crack, but I havent sold them long enough to know yet.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      I have a source for a reproduction that isnt SUPPOSED to crack, but I havent sold them long enough to know yet.
      PM coming your way.
      Last edited by jluv; 03-10-2014, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Shit, sorry jluv, I haven't been in here in awhile and didn't know you posted this. Let me know if you got this resolved.

Comment

Sand it with 80 grit, shave the emblem and epoxy the crap out of it with a mat reinforcement and it usually holds. Sorry that you own one of those man.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
            Shit, sorry jluv, I haven't been in here in awhile and didn't know you posted this. Let me know if you got this resolved.
            Got the panel (thanks DJ), but I still need a body shop to do the work. It will involve shaving/smoothing the emblem indention and matching the paint scheme (three colors). I really hope there is a method that will help prevent the cracking. I also have some bad door dings in the driver door, and a couple more minor touch ups that need some attention.
            Last edited by jluv; 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              Got the panel (thanks DJ), but I still need a body shop to do the work. It will involve shaving/smoothing the emblem indention and matching the paint scheme (three colors). I really hope there is a method that will help prevent the cracking. I also have some bad door dings in the driver door, and a couple more minor touch ups that need some attention.
              If you can, come on by and see if we can do something for you. I'm not sure anything can be done about the cracking from what I've heard.

Comment

Working...
              X