2002 V-rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 V-rod

I really don't know much about bikes in general, but I have always loved this v-rod since it ever released. I think the price is "reasonable" but again I wouldn't know. I am going to be purchasing a bike and just looking for a little feedback from you guys. Pro's and Con's both

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3421527934.html

Uncomfortable!

Comment

all the v-rod's?

Comment

Andonized sweet!

Price is ok but some stuff to think about, 2007 and newer have 5 gallon tanks vs 3 gallon on that one. They also have wider 240 rear tires vs 180 on those. Lastly 1250cc motors instead of earlier 1130cc. If those aren't important then go for it, Andonized is sweet!

Also check out 1130cc.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Thanks lason. You were definitely one I was hoping to hear from. I think you mean "anodized" which is exactly what I love the most. Wider tire would be nice but I don't think I would notice the cc's as a novice. Any way to do a wider rear aftermarket? I don't love the smoothies and hear they can be a real bitch in the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
            Thanks lason. You were definitely one I was hoping to hear from. I think you mean "anodized" which is exactly what I love the most. Wider tire would be nice but I don't think I would notice the cc's as a novice. Any way to do a wider rear aftermarket? I don't love the smoothies and hear they can be a real bitch in the wind.
            Those are cool bikes to cruise around town on but you'll get tired of it real quick on the highway.

Comment

real quick? I honestly probably won't be doing many long distance rides. Maybe NE Kansas to bikes, blues and BBQ at the furthest.

Again I'm totally up to all ideas as I'm very green to this. Just adding more info about me as it comes up from feedback.

Comment

really up to the rider I rode one over 1k miles from STL to sturgis and was fine. Miss my Vrod with some work they can be quick.
                sigpic
                2010 Dallas Performance built Grand Sport

Comment

Probably one of the worst choices for a first bike short of a 1000CC superbike lol.

If you want to do the cruiser thing try to find something else IMO.
                  2004 Suzuki DL650
                  1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                    Probably one of the worst choices for a first bike short of a 1000CC superbike lol.
                    Why is that?

Comment

Why do you say the worst choice? Just curious. Rode offroad, just not on the street. I'm not 20 years old and have had quite a few life experiences that most haven't if that's what you're implying.

Are you the type of guy who suggests every new guy jump on a 600 sportbike before even thinking about a 1000? If so we don't think in the same things.

What kind of riding do you do and what do you ride? Just helps w/ your opinion as to why you think that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                        Why is that?
                        Do you still have your night rod special? If so what year is it? I remember seeing pics of it with your brother's stryker.

I like the Stryker, Raider, Roadstar Warrior... and a few of the victory bikes as well

Comment

Actually I try to steer people away from any superbike 600cc or 1000cc as a first bike. A 100HP sub 400 lb bike isn't exactly a great choice for a first bike. Having dirt experience is a definite big plus.

I try to steer people onto standards (Naked SV650, FZ6, Ninja 500 or 250, CBR125, ect) or other similar bikes like dual sports as a first street bike. They're generally much more forgiving and practical as an everyday/starter bike than big cruisers, supersport bikes ect are.

Most of my riding Resume as far as the street goes is mostly standards and sport touring bikes with a sprinkling of dual sports, cruisers, and sport bikes thrown in there.

Cruisers, I don't care to ride them for the most part I drag the floorboards everywhere I go I'm not an aggressive rider by any means but I don't putt around either. Everynow and then I'll borrow my dad's Stratoliner for a short jaunt somewhere if I'm at their house without my bike which is pretty rare.

Dual Sports-Mostly my fun bikes here I have one currently and have owned them in the past and they would be my next choice behind a standard as a "starter" bike if you are capable of touching the ground on one.

Sportbikes-Lots of fun but not practical enough for my likes without modding it to be a streetfighter or something like that.

I have personal experience riding a V-Rod which was the "Street Rod" version I think with the drag bars and rear set pegs. Quite possibly the worst motorcycle I've ever thrown a leg over in my life. Maybe the more "traditional" cruiser type V-rods are better dunno but that experience turned me off from those bikes forever.
                          2004 Suzuki DL650
                          1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

I owned this model for over a year with a Corbin seat, windshield, hard bags, grips, screamin eagle pipes and backrest. I enjoyed riding the bike alot. The only thing Lason left out is the fuel guage on these is quirky but if you fill up every 100 miles you are fine. It is a little different than most and they are sexy as hell. The bike was very comfortable on long rides and they are fine in the wind. Hell my Electra in a good cross wiind jumps around a tad but there are not many bikes that don't. The 02's are rock solid and the engines are damn near bullet proof. Don't let the haters that have never owned one long enough to get use to it persuade you. There is a 06 or 08 in east Texas right now for around the same price you might want to check out.

The bike is not scary fast but quick enough to get you in trouble if you don't respect it. Bigger gas tank, better grips, windshield, bags, and the clutch uprade that lets it free wheel if you down shift to far, would be great mods. It will damn sure slide the rear tire if you shift down to may gears. Cool thing is, if you get bored with the speed eventually, they have turbo and supercharger kits that will make them pretty quick.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I completely disagree. That would make a great first bike. Vrods are far from scarey fast. They are small and low enough to be stable at a stand still even for shorter folks such as myself but heavy enough to be stable on the highway. I know of people who have done 100+ into the back of cars doing 55 on the the highway on gsxr600's and also know people who have jumped on busa's as their first bikes and done fine. It all depends on the maturity of the person riding.

My vrod is my first REAL bike. My only other bike was a 250 virago I rode around 10 years ago. That thing couldn't even get on the highway with the stock gearing and power. I would venture to say that was a worse bike to start on than my vrod. Crappy power, gearing and no ABS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X