Best Enduro style bike for cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Enduro style bike for cheap?

Looking for a good reliable "bug-out" type Enduro bike that I can grab for around a grand. I'd like something that would be reasonably fun to ride as well, but reliable and simple enough to fix on the fly if need be. Not sure if I'd want to pick up 2 of them (one for me, one for the wife) or get something big enough for both of us and our gear.

Any suggestions?

My choice would be a 2000-current DRZ400 but I'm biased.

The earlier DR350 isn't bad.
    Honda XR400
    Honda XL650 or XR650R
    Suzuki DR650
    Kawasaki KLX400 (same thing as a DRZ400 with different colors)
    If you were going to pick up one bike for both of you to ride I would stick to the larger DR650/XR650R because they are definitely going to be better with 2 up riding.

KTM makes a few good dual sports as well but they are considerably more pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      My choice would be a 2000-current DRZ400 but I'm biased.

The earlier DR350 isn't bad.
      Honda XR400
      Honda XL650 or XR650R
      Suzuki DR650
      Kawasaki KLX400 (same thing as a DRZ400 with different colors)
      If you were going to pick up one bike for both of you to ride I would stick to the larger DR650/XR650R because they are definitely going to be better with 2 up riding.

KTM makes a few good dual sports as well but they are considerably more pricey.
      I gotta a 530 KTM XCW, its a very fun ride

Comment

KLR either in 650 or 250(Super Sherpa) Flavors. Been made for a long time now and there's LOTS of aftermarket support. Should be able to easily find an older or hell even a newer KLR650 for dirt cheap. I picked up an 07 in 07 for 2500 bucks used.

I currently have a DR350SE and really like it. Older air cooled so no worries about radiators tractor like power and you can still run it at 70 MPH if you want. You should be able to find one for pretty close to 1000 dollars depending on year model.

My old KLR with desert tan paint job

My current 97 DR350SE
        2004 Suzuki DL650
        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Chances of you finding one are slim but Suzuki also sold a predecessor to the DR600 back in 85 called the SP600...which is VERY similar. If you could find one...they are good bikes and run about as good as the newer DR650 and KLR650.

Comment

for "around a grand" best thing youre going to find is an old ass XR..

Comment

Again you can find an older KLR in decent shape for around a grand. Same for an older DR350.

There's so many KLRs out there the market is flooded with them.
              2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

noticed how i said the "best" thing youre going to find for around a grand...

i had a klr 250, and ill take an air cooled honda over a water cooled kawi any day at this price point..

edit: here it was....in all of it's shitty glory

Last edited by dsrtuckteezy; 01-05-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I really like the KTM's, but they are expensive. My second choice would be the DRZ.

Comment

something with a kick start and electric start if possible.
                    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

You buy it and get me a plane ticket I'll go out and ferry it back for ya
                      2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I've been wanting to pick up an enduro forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
                          how hard would it be to get that street legal? just turn signals right?

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                            how hard would it be to get that street legal? just turn signals right?
                            high beam, low beam, brake light, horn and one mirror. and dot tires

signals are not required nor speedo.

but you might need to find out if it has a title or not first

Comment

Working...
                            X