Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home media questions (cable, security, network)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home media questions (cable, security, network)

Wife and I finally started discussions with a builder since trying to do this without a GC proved very difficult. Anyhow, one of the costs on his build sheet is for media. Naturally, I'm planning to cut costs where I can and I think this is something I handle.

What's everyone's thoughts on running cat5 to rooms? I know just about everything is wi-fi enabled but is there still a place for hardwire? I'm thinking about things like fridge, thermostat, maybe door cameras like Ring. Wi-fi is great and all but for some reason, I feel like I'd run into less issues with hardwired and can manage it better?

What about security systems? Does anyone have a non-wired security system? Are the wired systems with magnetic sensors still the way to go? Primarily concerned with window/door entry, glass breakage, motion, etc.

Lastly, what about cable tv? Is this ran similar to network cables where it runs to a patch panel somewhere in the attic? I plan on running broadband for cable and internet.

Being a one story house, I plan to wire the media room for surround sound later.

Wire is relatively cheap if you're running it yourself. Run CAT 6 to every room if you want and just tie it up in the wall. Easy to add it later. WiFi works well with just about everything, especially if you have access points, but hardwired is always best.

Think about if you want to do something like play music in multiple rooms. If so (or if you want to add in the future), you should run that wire now and bring it all to one central spot. You could put volume control in each room and just leave the wire for speakers in the wall or ceiling until you wanted to install it. I wish I had that now.

Running wire in the future will be fairly easy in a one story, but bringing it down a wall is much easier before finishing the walls.

Comment

Are you doing the pre-wire on the front end while it is under construction? (I did notice the comment about surround sound after closing)

If you are doing the pre-wire yourself, as juiceweezl mentioned, run CAT6. Pick up a structured wiring panel and mount it in the utility room (I wouldn't put anything smaller than a 24" in my home), or a centrally located closet. Run everything to/from there.

Run a main line to wherever your phone/cable/satellite provider is going to come into the house
      Run a 2" conduit from the box to the attic, in an accessible location.
      If I were running it all myself, I would wire cat6 and RG6 to every room, more if necessary, if you wanted to run HDMI over cat6, IIRC, you need 2 cat 6 wires.
      Now would be the time to wire any security camera locations, running wire to the soffits gets difficult after the house is completed.

Keep in mind, unless you are doing spray foam insulation, any wiring done from overhead after closing will disturb the blown insulation.

If you want some more insight, feel free to shoot me a PM, I deal with a lot of this on a daily basis with new construction.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Run cat6 EVERYWHERE. A 1000' spool will be enough for your whole house and its like $120 from monoprice.com

I ran 2 drops to each room, two to the living room entertainment area and they all pull back to the office where the switch is. You need to plan on where your router will be when the internet company runs their wire. Try to make their life easy and yours. I didnt run any coax as it is outdated and almost anything can now just run over network cables.

Comment

Thanks for all of the pointers! I do plan on going with spray foam so it just occurred to me that pre wiring on the external walls is a must.

So to recap...

cat6
          2 ports per room
          RG6 to each room
          structured wiring panel
          conduit from box to attic
          wire audio for media room and patio (will most likely leave it rolled up in the attic for later.
          cat6 for security cameras

What else is internet ready these days? Thermostat, fridge...

Also, do I need to prewire anything for security? Or do security companies provide wireless sensors nowadays?
          Last edited by GeorgeG.; 08-28-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Thermostat and fridge should be wifi.

Dont forget to prewire for security cameras. A simple cat6 will work and you will use a POE adapter to power the cameras.

Comment

It would probably be a safe bet that the T-stat will be wireless, ask your contractor, he should know or be able to find out. We install honeywell and they are wireless, the only problem is that they occasionally drop wifi signal and require re-booting the router. (this may be an IP issue or something that is easily configurable)

Honestly, if you are going to take the time to run the wire, take the time to set a j-box for it. it is MUCH easier to do on the front end of things.

Spray foam, are you doing full encapsulation? (walls and underside of roof) If you are doing full encapsulation, then doing all this shit after the fact is MUCH less of a PITA, as there will be no blown insulation to mess with.

The only concern I've ever had with wireless security systems is the size of the sensors, if you have blinds, it isn't that big of a deal, however, they can be an eye sore on the doors if they aren't small and you don't have a variety of color options to match the paint/stain on the door. Also, depending on the size of the home, some of the outlying locations may have issues reaching the receiver.

Speaking of wireless, again depending on the size of the home, you may want to wire for some wireless access points to help cover the whole place with solid WIFI service.

Also think about wall mount TV's. There are a few different ways to set them up. If you are streaming everything and only need internet, drop a cat6 and a plug at 60" at each location. If you are planning to use a TV service, I would set a plug at 60", tech to hammer height, and run a conduit. If you are planning to run a media server or anything like that, add 2 more cat6 for HDMI over cat6

Comment

speaking of all of this pre-wiring, does anyone need some fiber optic cable? I have a whole spool of it...

Comment

I ran 2 cat5e cables and one RG6 cable to every bedroom.

I ran 4 cat5e cables to my media center in my living room. I wish I would have ran double that (I'm having to use wifi for some devices instead of wired).

I ran 1 cat5e cable above my kitchen cabinets for my access point. It is in the center point of my house but I wish I would have ran a few more in different locations so I could have added more access points.

I have everything ran into my mechanical closet in my garage and the network stuff goes into the rack.

I also prewired surround sound in my living room and two channels that go on my back patio for my second zone. I think if I did it again I would prewire for whole home audio.

My patio has an RG6 cable for TV. I later added an HDMI for my second monitor out on my receiver. PITA

My cable management could use some work..but it gets the job done.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your set up. I'm finally to this point where it's time to start gathering my hardware. I have exterior sheathing up as of last week. I'm guessing the roof will be decked soon so riser cable will be going in soon.

As much as I wanted to run cable to the exterior corners for cameras, they're so tacky looking so I may nix that idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X