The last Descent/ John Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last Descent/ John Jones

Anyone seen this?? Shitty way to go for sure, I have done some stupid shit but cave exploring is not one of them.

Anyone on the board done cave exploring?

Havent' seen it, but recently read a long article from the Salt Lake Tribune about it:

part 1: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/...utty-i-really/
    part 2: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/...ty-were-going/

Fuck a bunch of that.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 05-14-2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I will do many crazy things, but cave exploring or cave diving is not one of them. I'm a little on the claustrophobic side, and I panic if I get my hand stuck in an engine bay, much less getting my whole body stuck in a cave.

Comment

Never done it, and scared to do it. In the Pacific NW the coast is crazy with caves and rocky beaches, and narrow strips of sandy beach. You hear about people that walk into caves only to drown when the tide comes in all the time. That was enough to keep me away.

Comment

I read Blind Descent a while back, well written book about the two largest known cave systems in the world.

Think of Mount Everest, and now think of it in reverse. That, in a nutshell, is a "supercave." In his new book, Blind Descent, author James Tabor pays tribute to the intrepid explorers who venture deep, deep underground.

I also have a good one about Floyd Collins who got trapped trying to find an alternative route into Mammoth Cave. It's pretty good with the details of his situation as well as how the media sensationalized his plight. He lived for something like two weeks below ground, in the same position, his leg was stuck.

G'Day Mate

Comment

When I was in high school, I spent a summer at App. St. for some science and math camp deal. It was a 5 week program. One weekend, we took a guided tour of Grindstaff Cave. It was enough to convince me and 3 others to go back on our own and check out the parts the tour didn't go on. We spent hours crawling around through small spaces and bends. I remember it being very tight through some spaces, and I thought that there was no way I could so something like this when I was older. We got to some place deep in and turned our lights off -- darkest I have ever seen (or not seen) in my life. You literally could not see a hand a few inches in front of your face. I remember that was a scary feeling...right up until I found the girl I was with on the trip...

Anyway, yes, I did years ago on probably some amateur cave stuff. Some of it was tight enough that we had to get a push/pull to get through, and yes, eff a bunch of that now. No way I'd ever do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              When I was in high school, I spent a summer at App. St. for some science and math camp deal. It was a 5 week program. One weekend, we took a guided tour of Grindstaff Cave. It was enough to convince me and 3 others to go back on our own and check out the parts the tour didn't go on. We spent hours crawling around through small spaces and bends. I remember it being very tight through some spaces, and I thought that there was no way I could so something like this when I was older. We got to some place deep in and turned our lights off -- darkest I have ever seen (or not seen) in my life. You literally could not see a hand a few inches in front of your face. I remember that was a scary feeling...right up until I found the girl I was with on the trip...

Anyway, yes, I did years ago on probably some amateur cave stuff. Some of it was tight enough that we had to get a push/pull to get through, and yes, eff a bunch of that now. No way I'd ever do it again.
              I've done the mine tours in Colorado before, and yeah, when the lights go out, can't see shit captain.

Comment

Damn. I halfway wish I hadn't read that. I didn't know how it ended and was reading with expectation of rescue. Now I'm down in the dumps.

And hell no, my ass is going nowhere near a cramped cave. Carlsbad or something similar (safe touristy stuff) is as far underground as I'm going.

Comment

No thanks to all of that. I've done the caves in Georgetown a few times but thats a ballroom compared to this story. And the fact that this place had just been opened back up because of prior deaths makes it sound almost dumb for an out of shape dude. Reminds me of Will Ferrel and Hang Gliding.

Of course I do stupid stuff that risks my safety...but its gonna involve speed. Just scrape whats left of me off the track and resume. No need for an entire crew. /s

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    No thanks to all of that. I've done the caves in Georgetown a few times but thats a ballroom compared to this story. And the fact that this place had just been opened back up because of prior deaths makes it sound almost dumb for an out of shape dude. Reminds me of Will Ferrel and Hang Gliding.

Of course I do stupid stuff that risks my safety...but its gonna involve speed. Just scrape whats left of me off the track and resume. No need for an entire crew. /s
                    It's like the idiot scuba divers that try Jacobs Well. Zero training and think they'll be fine. One kick of the bottom and it's zero visibility for the next hour.

Comment

Caves can give most claustrophobia, much less reading about tunnel rats in Vietnam. Fuck that!
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        It's like the idiot scuba divers that try Jacobs Well. Zero training and think they'll be fine. One kick of the bottom and it's zero visibility for the next hour.
                        Man that reminds me. I need to book another Jacob's well visit.

I don't even swim over the top of that fucking hole much less dive into it. But it sure is a cool spot to hike around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Man that reminds me. I need to book another Jacob's well visit.

I don't even swim over the top of that fucking hole much less dive into it. But it sure is a cool spot to hike around.
                          I'm dying to go to the San Marcos river. Maybe Jacobs well too. Getting the cabin fever.

Comment

Well that sucked...
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

When I first moved up here I wanted to find some abandoned coal mines and do some exploring, never did though. Now I wouldn’t be so dumb to do it with a wife and kids and all. Looked like fun, but stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X