HVAC people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC people

My furnace decided it was time to start shitting the bed last Thursday. Our heat exchanger is sluffing off its insides. It is thoroughly rusted and the rusted layers are flaking off. This in turn can lead to cracks and CO entering the house, so, time to swap it out. I am having that done tomorrow.

The entire system is a Lennox installed in 1986, so I'm sure it is only a matter of time before the compressor starts giving me real issues as well. I asked my HVAC guy to give me a quote to change the compressor as well. He quoted me $5500 for a 3 ton 16 SEER Amana unit. Which seems a bit high, though my frame of reference is what we pay our contractors to install equipment in new homes. I pay almost half of that to have 16-18 SEER 4 ton units installed and trimmed out in my new construction. Unfortunately my contractor doesn't service the area I live in.

I am leery of AMANA due to the issues we have had in the past with warranty issues on our new homes.

Anyone have any thought/input.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

That's really high, just had one installed for 4600. I'll send ya my contact if ya want it

Comment

If the quote is for the entire system ( Furnace, Coil, Condenser) that is not bad. A/C pricing has gone thru the roof. Just be sure and read your warranty paperwork. It will probably say you have to register it online.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
        That's really high, just had one installed for 4600. I'll send ya my contact if ya want it
        I will let you know. The guy is a personal friend and I support local every chance I get!

Originally posted by mustngacman View Post
        If the quote is for the entire system ( Furnace, Coil, Condenser) that is not bad. A/C pricing has gone thru the roof. Just be sure and read your warranty paperwork. It will probably say you have to register it online.
        The $5500 would be condenser and installation. He is installing the furnace and coil as we speak. $2800 for new furnace, coil, and installation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what my coil looks like. I almost opted to replace the furnace only, however, I didn't want to have to pay labor to pull the furnace again when the outside unit fails, so we did the coil as well. Good thing:

As for registration on the unit, he is handling all of that for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats way high for condenser only.

Comment

After the first night with the new furnace and coil, we should have replaced the system before we moved in.

We have had an air flow issue the entire time we have been there. The half of the house that was closest to the furnace was always more comfortable than the back half of the house where the bedrooms are. We had a damper installed about a month ago to try and divert some of that air flow to the back half of the house, but it only made a marginal difference. Last night, I noticed a significant increase in airflow to the back half of the house, most likely due to the coil not being clogged up with 30 years of shit.

Also, after talking to my HVAC guy, I misunderstood his quote on the equipment. It was $2600 for the furnace and coil or $5500 total if he also replaced the compressor as well with a 3 ton 16 SEER unit.

Comment

Working...
              X