Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shade tolerant Bermuda

For those of you who prefer Bermuda over other " shade tolerant" grasses,
    King Ranch Turf Grass sells a Bermuda sod that can tolerate up to 70% shade . There is more info on their website . It is call Tif Grand.

Which grass do you consider the most tolerant of shade that will still grow well in the DFW area? I'm on the community HOA board and our landscaping company is pushing sod again for the homes where the grass has died, again. Same homes get the sod replaced every few years and it never takes. Would like a better option than the zoysia hybrid they want to put out again.

Comment

50% of my yard is shaded 70% of the time. Aside from weeds I'm sure it's never going to grow anything. So now I'm watching.

Edit: On the TifGrand Bermuda. What's you take on the 3 times weekly - Reel mowing requirement? For me this would be for residential use. I'e been looking in to Raleigh St. Augustine for the same reasons. Heavily shaded areas that need grass.

Edit: I spoke with the guys at King Ranch and they recommended Zorro Zoysia. Seems like everyone has something different to say. HAHA.
      Last edited by mustang1200; 04-04-2017, 02:11 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Turffalo

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
          Which grass do you consider the most tolerant of shade that will still grow well in the DFW area? I'm on the community HOA board and our landscaping company is pushing sod again for the homes where the grass has died, again. Same homes get the sod replaced every few years and it never takes. Would like a better option than the zoysia hybrid they want to put out again.
          Have they been planting st Augustine ?

Comment

Originally posted by mustang1200 View Post
            50% of my yard is shaded 70% of the time. Aside from weeds I'm sure it's never going to grow anything. So now I'm watching.

Edit: On the TifGrand Bermuda. What's you take on the 3 times weekly - Reel mowing requirement? For me this would be for residential use. I'e been looking in to Raleigh St. Augustine for the same reasons. Heavily shaded areas that need grass.

Edit: I spoke with the guys at King Ranch and they recommended Zorro Zoysia. Seems like everyone has something different to say. HAHA.
            Every hybrid Bermuda is a dwarf, just about all houses sodded are 419 Bermuda, no one reel mows it , although you can it works fine mowing it weekly, mow at 1" or so for best results usually needs twice per week, raise slightly if only mowed once per week.

Both grasses read just about the same , I just prefer Bermuda , I have not worked with this zoysia and I say that because I have yet to see any zoysia green up first and go dormant last, it is completely the opposite with all the zoysia grass I work with, just never been a fan. Bermuda is the easiest grass of any.

Comment

Originally posted by zemog View Post
              Have they been planting st Augustine ?
              This is a townhouse community in Plano, 191 units. Built in 2002 All original grass was some form of Bermuda. As the trees grew and started providing shade the Bermuda died under many of the trees and in between homes where the sun is inadequate to sustain it. Replacement grass in these areas last couple of times around was Cutlass Zoysia. Most of that died and now they are recommending Emerald Zoysia & trimming the trees higher up.

The problem areas are generally the same each year and due to lack of sun & growing trees. The trees do get trimmed each year and those areas do get a higher trim.

I have some replacement quotes that include New Mexico river rock & ornamental grasses but that won't work for everywhere. Some homeowners do want some grass.

There is some St. Augustine in some of the greenbelts and it does well although it doesn't completely cover under the trees either. Are you saying that we should consider abandoning the Zoysia & Bermuda and move toward St. Augustine in new sod plantings?

Would welcome your input. If you want to drive by one day and take a look or provide a quote send me a PM.

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                This is a townhouse community in Plano, 191 units. Built in 2002 All original grass was some form of Bermuda. As the trees grew and started providing shade the Bermuda died under many of the trees and in between homes where the sun is inadequate to sustain it. Replacement grass in these areas last couple of times around was Cutlass Zoysia. Most of that died and now they are recommending Emerald Zoysia & trimming the trees higher up.

The problem areas are generally the same each year and due to lack of sun & growing trees. The trees do get trimmed each year and those areas do get a higher trim.

I have some replacement quotes that include New Mexico river rock & ornamental grasses but that won't work for everywhere. Some homeowners do want some grass.

There is some St. Augustine in some of the greenbelts and it does well although it doesn't completely cover under the trees either. Are you saying that we should consider abandoning the Zoysia & Bermuda and move toward St. Augustine in new sod plantings?

Would welcome your input. If you want to drive by one day and take a look or provide a quote send me a PM.

Jonathan
                Fwiw. St Augustin grows great under trees that are not too dense. If you are caring for trees, every few years pruning etc., you will have success with St. Augustine. My favorite thing about St. Augustine is that chiggers do not live in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
                  My favorite thing about St. Augustine is that chiggers do not live in it.
                  thats racist

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                    thats racist
                    Well, let's face it chiggers are blood sucking assholes that live off the rest of us. Red bastards.

Comment

Working...
                    X