Webber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webber Kettle

My friends husband was cooking some ribs on his the other day when I went by there to drop of an old bunk bed for her kids. He said that it works great for smoking at about 225-250 and doesn't need a whole lot of attention if you use the minion method.

I started looking into these more and I see that they have a few different sizes and was wondering if anyone has done a whole packer brisket on one of these. I have a big smoker for lots of meat and what not, but it would be nice to have a smaller and more versatile way of cooking. I'm considering the big 26" kettle but if I can get away with the 22" it's half the price, and could spend that extra cash on more extras for it.
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Why not a Smokey mtn? I have the 18.5 and once it settles in it'll ride at 225ish for hours on end with minimal intervention

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
      Why not a Smokey mtn? I have the 18.5 and once it settles in it'll ride at 225ish for hours on end with minimal intervention
      I want the versatility of the kettle, being able to use it as either smoker or grill would be nice.

Comment

I've never tried to smoke on a kettle, but my concerns would be around maintaining that steady temperature needed with long smokes. It can work, but it will be more work than say a kamado style grill, due to the lack of insulative value.

I didn't even know "minion method" was a thing, haha. I wouldn't be using briquettes though, raw lump only.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

There is a youtube channel called BBQ Pit Boys where they pretty much do everything on a kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            I've never tried to smoke on a kettle, but my concerns would be around maintaining that steady temperature needed with long smokes. It can work, but it will be more work than say a kamado style grill, due to the lack of insulative value.

I didn't even know "minion method" was a thing, haha. I wouldn't be using briquettes though, raw lump only.
            I'm not going to spend a small fortune on something that won't be used to smoke all that often, just want the option to if I need to. With that said, my main concern is if a 12-15lbs packer will fit on a 22" kettle. I'm leaning towards just getting the 26".

Kingsford has some "lump" briquettes that actually get so hot, the concrete paver I had my chimney on basically blew up. I need to find some more of that to do a little more testing to see how it holds up against raw lump charcoal.

Comment

You could wrap a brick in foil and lay the brisket it over if it won't lay flat.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                You could wrap a brick in foil and lay the brisket it over if it won't lay flat.
                kind of a love wedge, if you will.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                  I'm not going to spend a small fortune on something that won't be used to smoke all that often, just want the option to if I need to. With that said, my main concern is if a 12-15lbs packer will fit on a 22" kettle. I'm leaning towards just getting the 26".

Kingsford has some "lump" briquettes that actually get so hot, the concrete paver I had my chimney on basically blew up. I need to find some more of that to do a little more testing to see how it holds up against raw lump charcoal.

Calm down killer, I didn't suggest you go buy one. Still wouldn't use that "lump" though.

As for the size, you need to take account not to the grate size, but the size of the water pan. Anything that extends out beyond the size of the water pan is going to be burned and dry from the direct heat.

Comment

I can get my kamado any temperature needed, set it and enjoy the rest of my day. Yes it was an expensive setup, but yes it's worth it. My big smoker requires constant attention.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                      Yes it was an expensive setup,
                      Well, of course it was.
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        I didn't even know "minion method" was a thing, haha.
                        You're not the only one.

After googling it, not a lot of space available but sure is better than nothing and would probably be sufficient for various things. Not sure how it would work for 12+ hour smokes though.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post

Royal Oak at HD is lump charcoal. It is made by the people that produce the BGE stuff. Just as good not near the price. Stay away from Stubb's, that shit pops like crazy when cooking hot.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I use royal oak a lot, but also the B&B

Comment

I haven't tried B&B yet. Fogo is hands down the best lump I've found, and it isn't even close. The chunks are HUGE, and a load of lump lasts a long damn time. It's stupid expensive though. So I use Royal Oak for day to day stuff and Fogo for long cooks.

Comment

Working...
                              X