Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cycling fitness (for my own accountability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, for the first time, I can feel it in my quads the day after a ride. It feels good, I feel like I actually got a workout!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
      Ordering the wahoo today. Should have it tomorrow or Thursday.

Is anyone interested in riding a 45 or 60 mile ride Oct. 3rd? I am strongly considering the wish100 in McKinney.

TCU has a home game that day but if it's a night game I might be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
        TCU has a home game that day but if it's a night game I might be in.
        Sounds good. 45 will be pushing my comfort zone for sure! I may only average 12-14 mph. I guess that is hiw we improve right, push our limits and our comfort zone!

Comment

So, I am looking at the information for the wish 100. Routes are (in miles) 11.9, 17.3, 41.3, and 63.1 (metric century). 11.9 is far too short. I feel 17.3 would be a waste of entry fee. That leaves 41.3 and 63.1 miles respectively. The 41.3 would be my longest ride ever, and I am confident that I could complete it. It would probably take roughly 3 hrs of saddle time at a 14 mph average (my current average). What I am wondering, is the feasibility of me being able to complete the 63.1 miles in a reasonable time. I will have 2 months of riding under my belt at that time. Is it ludicrous for me to consider it?

Side bar, this seems to be a fund raising ride, although not opposed to it, I haven't been able to determine if the fund raising is a requirement for participation.

Comment

What are you using to track your speed, cadence and things of that nature? I'm just getting started on the bike thing, and I think I'm painfully slow.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
              What are you using to track your speed, cadence and things of that nature? I'm just getting started on the bike thing, and I think I'm painfully slow.
              I have a wireless computer by specialized. It runs about $90. You can get a wired computer for much cheaper. I went wireless so that I could add a heat rate monitor. However, you can link a heart rate monitor to your phone.

There are also wireless sensors that will transmit via blue tooth to your smart phone. I know Wahoo makes cadence and speed sensors that are blue tooth.

If you aren't as interested in cadence and other metrics, download an app such as Strava, it will log your distance and speed via GPS. Add in a stem mount and you can easily track it as you ride.

Comment

Good on ya man, been following on FB. Keep it up, I know I've been feeling better now with my semi-consistent schedule.
                Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                  Good on ya man, been following on FB. Keep it up, I know I've been feeling better now with my semi-consistent schedule.
                  Thanks. I am still tuning my training to fit my schedule. I told my riding partner that my goal for saturday was 30 miles.

Comment

Tonights ride was much more enjoyable with the marginally cooler temps. My riding partner showed up so I had someone to push me. My ride data is unfortunately all screwed up. I forgot to reset my on board computer for the first 2 miles. My data logging in Strava didn't complete because I paused it when we took a break 11.1 miles in and forgot to re-start it. The last 3 miles we pushed it pretty hard so I missed all of that data.

I think it looked something like this

14.2 miles total
                    Average cadence 84
                    Average speed 14.2 (estimate)
                    Average heart rate 145 BPM
                    Max heart rate 182 BPM

I am still having trouble pushing through on my intervals. First interval we had a steady head wind and I manage about 2 minutes. The second interval, wind was at our back I pulled 2 minutes pretty hard backed off about a minute and pushed as hard as I could another 2 minutes. I am having trouble pushing myself past the breaking point into that dark area where it hurts like hell but you keep pushing on. I am working myself there. I will probably move to a 3x3' and work my way to a 2x5' and increase times from there.

I have revised my "long term" goals a bit. I will approach my initial 200 mile goal by the end of the week. So my goal now is 500 miles by Sept 12th, and be ready to ride a full metric century by October 3rd.

Comment

I have been reading training articles, bike reviews, etc. I told myself that once I reached a milestone, I would upgrade bikes. I haven't determined what that milestone will be yet though. Now, as I look at bikes, I wonder, would I be better off to buy a used, good condition frameset, and put top end parts on it. I have my eye on the '15 Tarmac Elite. Though, I have only rode Specialized so i have zero experience on anything else. Also, buying atvthe LBS how much cn I talk them down on a new bike?!

Comment

I grabbed my last bike off of ebay. It was a year old model (still in factory crate) and cost half of what they wanted for a new one at RBM.

Idk what kind of bikes you are looking into but traitor cycles has a cool complete called the Ruben. I will never purchase any specialized products again after the Roubaix coffee shop incident.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                          I grabbed my last bike off of ebay. It was a year old model (still in factory crate) and cost half of what they wanted for a new one at RBM.

Idk what kind of bikes you are looking into but traitor cycles has a cool complete called the Ruben. I will never purchase any specialized products again after the Roubaix coffee shop incident.
                          I have been watching ebay and craigslist just to see what deals can be had. I have found a few great bargains, its just not the right time for me to jump in!

Comment

31.3 miles in 2 hrs.

That is pretty much my max distance right now. I was reeling pretty good the last 3 miles. I need to start extending my weekday rides if I plan to hit 63 miles by October!

Comment

Total milage last week was 80.x miles with a 75 mile goal. My 21 mile ride should be no problem in mid September. I still have asperations of riding the metric century in McKinney on Oct. 3rd. I am hoping to extend my weekly rides to 15-20 miles, and continue to add 5 miles or so to my Saturday rides.

Comment

If you dial your speed back a couple mph from your "max" you can ride forever. I think if you can ride 30 miles without dying you can ride 100k. You won't be able to average the same mph over 100k but you can make it no problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X