No announcement yet.

Water Heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While you're up in the attic, pour a little vinegar in the A/C condensation line (line that drains from the pan) to help with any future clogs.

Comment

Water Heater?

Got up in the attic and found nothing but duct and insulation. The unit is in a closet, inside the house.
      This is a pic of a smaller pipe that drips by the front door, I extended it because it was pooling by the door (horrible design!) I think this is from the a/c because the size tube matches the size tube by the unit. when I got down from the attic I inspected the water heater and noticed a hair line crack on the very top, leaking water going at the same rate as the leak outside the house. It's starting to pool at the bottom tray so I'm pretty sure that the outside drip is coming from that leak.
      That being said, is Home Depot has 50 gallon tanks for $390. Is that what they go for nowadays?
      Thanks again for yalls input. Much appreciated!
      .....bro....

Comment

sounds like a good deal.. check the width to make sure it will fit in the same location
        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Aww hell, I thought all 50 gallon tanks were created equal! They look to be about the same size but the old one says it's a 55 gallon. I'll definitely bringing the measuring tape to measure the tank before I purchase another one.
          .....bro....

Comment

over time, depepnding on the age of your old one, they have gotten shorter and wider, i have been burned on a few that wouldnt fit in the closet and had to take the case working off to the entry to get it in.
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Also, if you do it yourself, don't just put the old unit on the curb. The city likely requires a permit and that is how they'll catch you! lol

Comment

Damn! I never thought about that. Well, the house is in S.E. Dallas, maybe I'll just toss it by the side if the road and no body will notice.
                The unit is about 12 y.o and my cousins installed one last year at his house and mentioned that it was shorter than the one he replaced.
                .....bro....

Comment

Take it to the scrap yard, it's gotta be worth 2 or 300 cents.

Comment

I took this pic a while back. Is there anything on it that can better help me pick a new tank?
                    .....bro....

Comment

Here is all I could find. The part number varies a little bit though.

sigpic

Comment

Water Heater?

Thanks! I just can't seem to find a 55 gallon tank anywhere! I hope a 50 gallon tank will suffice.
                        How hard are they to replace?
                        Last edited by A+; 03-02-2017, 12:25 PM.
                        .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
                          Damn! I never thought about that. Well, the house is in S.E. Dallas, maybe I'll just toss it by the side if the road and no body will notice.
                          The unit is about 12 y.o and my cousins installed one last year at his house and mentioned that it was shorter than the one he replaced.
                          dont worry about it in dallas, it will be gone in 30-45 minutes.
                          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Water Heater?

Mine was 55 went it went out

Replaced with 50 rheem
                            WAY better
                            No looking back

X10 on measurements. Don't go by looks. Measure that shit

Comment

replacement is pretty easy if it has flex lines connecting it. If it is all copper that is connected, can you sweat copper?

If it's flex, kill the water, kill the breaker. drain tank, remove.

If it is all copper, you'll have to cut some pipe, you'll need some fresh length of pipe and some fittings, torch, etc. position tank, connect electrical, make new connections.

If the drip pan looks bad/corroded, go ahead and replace it at the same time. You may reach out to Rodney and see if he would come help, I'd be inclined to put in a kill switch for future protection.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                                His tank has 2 connections on top and one copper pipe leading to the house, from what I can see. My cousin did commercial pluming for a few years so he says he can do what ever torch work necessary. I just hope to get it done right, for the tenants sake.
                                .....bro....

Comment

Working...
                                X