Man forcibly removed from overbooked United Airlines flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
    Maybe it should have been the United employees, who weren't needed until the next day, who should have taken another flight.
    Amen, brutha! I don't fly a lot, but when I do, I pay full price and I want to get to where ever the fuck I paid to go, as quickly as possible too. I have rental cars reserved, hotels and dinner reservations. And especially when I'm coming home, I want to get to the house and relax.
    I didn't know about the fine print that they have the right to bump you, who the hell reads that shit?!

I fly SWA exclusively and have never encountered this kind of problem or even heard any type of horror stories like this one on their airline.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
      Maybe it should have been the United employees, who weren't needed until the next day, who should have taken another flight.
      The crew they were putting on was for a Delta Express flight. Not allowed at all if true. Republic flies for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
        This was not United, it was a subcontractor -- "Republic Airlines". They are one of 7 feeders contracted by United to provide feed at their hubs. Not United pilots, not United ground crews, not United gate agents. I find it unfortunate that United bears the brunt of this because their name is all over the brand Republic. Some of the other airline peeps can chime in on the overall substandard quality of Republic Airlines.

The crew they were putting on was for a Delta Express flight. Not allowed at all if true. Republic flies for both.

The sad truth is that the airline is a business that sells a commodity with a short life, namely that seat on that airplane at that time. As a business with share holders, they are modeled on making a profit as opposed to a 501 etc. Delays, mis-connects, and even no-shows are a fact of life. If the airline did not overbook, the ticket prices would have to go up to cover that difference in revenue from unoccupied seats to insure the profitability of that flight. Then, I'm sure, folks would be screaming at the top of their lungs about the higher costs of travel. It's not an easy fix. Walking is cheaper.

Doesn't matter. It was a United flight with their name on the plane. They can try to divert blame to Republic but it will be another PR problem.

And if I miss my flight then I'm out the fare. The airline gets paid regardless. On two occasions I've missed flights not because of my doing and both times I was told I had to book a new flight and would receive no credit. The rules are extremely weighted toward the airlines. This leads to shitty customer service because they couldn't care less if you're happy or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
          Doesn't matter. It was a United flight with their name on the plane. They can try to divert blame to Republic but it will be another PR problem.

And if I miss my flight then I'm out the fare. The airline gets paid regardless. On two occasions I've missed flights not because of my doing and both times I was told I had to book a new flight and would receive no credit. The rules are extremely weighted toward the airlines. This leads to shitty customer service because they couldn't care less if you're happy or not.
          Exactly.

LOL @ "oh the poor airlines have it rough, you guys just don't understand." lmao, fuck them and fuck you too.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Exactly.

LOL @ "oh the poor airlines have it rough, you guys just don't understand." lmao, fuck them and fuck you too.

He's a pilot for one of said airlines...what did you expect?

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
              He's a pilot for one of said airlines...what did you expect?
              He's "the captain now!"
              1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
              TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
              Work In Progress

Comment

• Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                He's "the captain now!"
                Respectable gig...as long as he doesnt have the airport goon squad beat me up!

Comment

• Just read from Forbes that they werent overbooked and therefore the CoC rules dont apply:
                  Some argue this parsing of words is irrelevant and that United's contract of carriage for overbooked flights is meant to be applied more broadly. Not true.

In Tuesday's New York Times story on the fracas, United's CEO acknowledged, this was not technically an overbooked flight. And the reason for that equivocation is also clear. The four airline employees who needed the seats, presented themselves to the gate agent after the flight was boarded. Further, they were not fare-paying passengers, therefore not "booked."

Comment

• forbes is a leftwing shitrag
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

• Is it just me and GeorgeG? Did no one notice the guy was resisting and basically acting like an ass? He played the role well of just another damned self important victim. Not saying the airline company hirees whatevers did a fantastic job, deserving blue ribbons...but if this passenger did this to the police, he'd be in the same shit, even jailed for resisting. Planes are damn near militarized since 9/11. This, too, is because of terrorism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fastback View Post
                        Is it just me and GeorgeG? Did no one notice the guy was resisting and basically acting like an ass? He played the role well of just another damned self important victim. Not saying the airline company hirees whatevers did a fantastic job, deserving blue ribbons...but if this passenger did this to the police, he'd be in the same shit, even jailed for resisting. Planes are damn near militarized since 9/11. This, too, is because of terrorism.
                        It will turn out to be wrongful detainment as no laws were broken. They were there due to false info given to them by the airline idiots. I wouldn't have gotten out of my seat either.

Comment

Is it just me and GeorgeG? Did no one notice the guy was resisting and basically acting like an ass? He played the role well of just another damned self important victim. Not saying the airline company hirees whatevers did a fantastic job, deserving blue ribbons...but if this passenger did this to the police, he'd be in the same shit, even jailed for resisting. Planes are damn near militarized since 9/11. This, too, is because of terrorism.
                          Resisting to give up the seat they sat him in?

Wat???

What would you do if a company you paid to make a custom exhaust, made it and then backed out of the deal because an employee needed/wanted it?
                          Last edited by Craizie; 04-12-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

well it wasnt the police, United's CEO apologized saying it was completely wrong and wont ever use security again. Thats the best few minutes of that guys life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                              Resisting to give up the seat they sat him in?

Wat???

What would you do if a company you paid to make a custom exhaust, made it and then backed out of the deal because an employee needed/wanted it?
                              Exhaust companies aren't airlines, they don't get special rules.

Comment

• Fact of the matter is that all they had to do was offer more money to people and this problem would have solved itself. Instead you have a bunch of fucktards running these situations. I hope United goes bankrupt.
                                Originally posted by racrguy
                                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                                Originally posted by racrguy
                                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X