Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to save money during the summer heat, what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to save money during the summer heat, what do you do?

It is almost that time of year and as a first time home owner I am curious what you other guys do to cool the house down and things you guys do solely to aid in efficiency.

My plans this year are to do attic foil, seal the attic door better, solar gable fans, and possibly a solar power system, but this is an investment not necessarily for this year.

Note that all of these things have tax credits benefits also.

Jump to the one your interested in if you do not want to do the whole read, labeled for ease

Foil
    A coworker had mentioned the attic foil from http://www.atticfoil.com/. I was like BS whatever. Then she started showing me before and after power bills. Now although it does not replace insulation they noticed a 12-15% drop in their power bill. So i started researching some online reviews and found a few other people who had done this and apparently it is legit. Worth spending the money on this stuff versus home depot or walmart bought foil also, just for the tear factor while installing. To me that is worth the 300$ and half a day to install.

Attic Door
    Sealing the attic door is a pretty simple idea and really easy to do. We did this is my parents house last year and they could feel the differance, it is amazing how much cool air can escape or warm air can intrude.

Gable Solar Fans
    Looking at installing two gable solar attic fans also. We already have two traditional wind turbines I feel adding the fans would help also. I am looking at a pair of fans that will move 1750 CFM each and place one on each end of the attic. I think that will be great coverage for removing the warmer air. Again only a 300$ investment.

Our house is directly in the sun no daily shade so that attic gets HOOOTTT already. These three things that will be under a 1,000$ investment I feel could help our situation significantly.

Now speaking of the sun....

Solar System
    Now the solar system is a lot bigger project. I have an advantage over you guys in Texas being in Louisiana because here the state pays for HALF of the solar system by a direct reimbursement come at tax time. So we are only paying for 15-20% of these 30-50k solar systems right now. The system I am looking at is a 7.02 KW system. Makes around 12,600 KWH a year which as of right now has us completely zeroed out for the year. I know i know I have done ALL my research talking to my accountant about the tax breaks and power company. For our usage it breaks down to a 4-5 year payout for the whole system then a lifetime(25 Year warranty on all components) of free or almost zeroed power bills. Basically we are such low usage customers anyway we would be building up credits throughout the year to use during the hottest 4 months of the year. Some added benefits we only pay 7k for this system that will power our house due to the tax credits but the value of the system is at 40k. This directly helps the value of your home also. I have called some realtors and they are seeing between 65-75 percent payback on these solar systems added to house value. So although we are only paying 7k, it will add 15-25k when we sell our house in the future. Another added bonus is this larger system compared to a smaller system gives our south facing roof complete shade ALL day! I think that is great by itself.

I have limo window tint on the west windows of my house. Helps a lot.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Currently we have solar screens on every window, insulated garage door, an attic fan, ridge vents galore & 2 turbine roof vents, as well as heavy attic insulation in the hottest areas to try and provide an extra barrier.

I'm also looking at adding some solar panels on the roof in the near future. That will provide 2 benefits..... 1) Addition of off the grid power. 2) The area that the solar panels cover will be absorbing less direct heat from the sun. And I can't wait to get these solar panels installed because I KNOW that it will make a big impact on both the cooling efficiency of my A/C unit and also reduce the electric power we're using from the grid. All in all, that should add up to some long term cash savings.

Comment

Move to Colorado, open windows, turn off a/c, turn on fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          Move to Colorado, open windows, turn off a/c, turn on fans.

Comment

+Replace appliances where you can with Energy star or high efficiency.

I did this on my pool pump and have been saving at least 50$ a month on my electric bill.

I'll also add programmable thermostat to raise up the temp while your not there. Not too high though, or your system will have to work harder to bring it back down to desired temp. Also keep the stat on 78 if you can stand it, 75 may be more practical.
            WRX

Comment

My attic door is in my garage, which is not air conditioned...so there is no point in sealing it right?

Comment

Be sure that you have adequate soffit vents and that they are not blocked...

Comment

Never thought about soffit vents making a huge deal but with everything else planned it would be amazing circulation i am sure. Have to crawl up there and see how they look

Comment

I've asked this question before last year about keeping the AC on all day.

I'm gonna try this out and hopefully it doesn't bite me in the ass but i read it is better to keep the A/C on all day at a reasonable temp(78) when i'm not home. I still dont have any solar screens, 80% of my house flooring is laminate and my house faces east.

The Coserv guy will be coming to my house on the 16th to do an energy audit, hopefully he finds some flaws in my house that will help out my bill in the long run.
                    Last edited by unkoricky; 04-13-2012, 07:36 AM.
                    Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                    Your opinion is what sucks.
                    You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

I will be doing this over the weekend. I have read this helps quite a bit.
                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTU_McRxFL0[/ame]

I also have these big ass blower fans that used to be used for a large blow up bounce house/slide that we no longer have (I have two of them). I think I can put them (or one) in the attic somewhere and turn them on from time to time to displace most or at least some of the 150* attic temps during the summer....maybe it wont do anything but I am going to try anyway, thoughts?

Comment

I also came across this on Angie's List. Seems like a decent deal;

Comment

I don't do shit. My wife pays the electric bills.

Comment

The ridge slot/vents seem to work pretty well if setup properly, but I wouldn't mess with it unless you're already having a roof replaced.

Comment

Saving Energy is a Double Edge Sword.

You're going to PAY MORE MONEY in improvements than you will save this year, however in the long run, you'll save some money.

1. Solar Screens on all your windows.
                              2. Replace all the Windows with insulated windows (You lose most of your energy out the windows)
                              3. Seal all the window frames
                              4. Re-Insulate the Attic & all your walls (This is expensive), On walls use Spray foam, on the attic, have at least 18"
                              5. Make sure your attic ventalation is in good order. That means don't clog the vents in the over hangs to your attic, and make sure you have a good powered fan to circulate the air.
                              6. (EXPENSIVE OPTION) : Replace your Airconditioner Unit with at least a 16 Seer Unit, perferbly a 18 Seer (This will actually save you the most money on your power bill).
                              7. Ceiling fans in all rooms
                              8. Insulate your garage doors

Like I said, its all going to cost you some cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X