Bathroom remodels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom remodels

So I decided Jan 1st to walk in the spare bath and knock out a piece of vanity. The only thing I haven't done /had done is my bathrooms and living room floors. So the vanity is gone now and I started getting quotes. You have got to be kidding me at 10,000 to start on my hall bath. Now mind you I have a custom vanity coming, new toilet, and bidet sitting in my spare room.

My problem I think is that I ordered a white vanity, white toilet and my tub is off white, maybe a hint of tan. I didn't really think about this until after the vanity was en route.

Now a buddy of mine would do the floors for 850 going up the walls 4 feet but just until you get to the tub. Paint was like 650.00 or so and then it went thru the roof doing the bath. Now, granted I want nothing crazy but he wants me to do a shower. I think with a cheap tub replacement he is still up in the 6500-8500 range or so. Is it just me, or would a tub and wall enclosure that attach to the studs not be a hard install? I have a BFH to knock the tub out with.

So talk me out of doing this myself? Is it that hard? I have been watching U tube videos and looks pretty straight forward. I mean I could buy the tools and materials for probably under a 1000.00. Am I nuts for thinking bath remodels are a little out there?

Today I was chipping out floor piece's on lunch, half done. Hey that shit will cut you flying out of there!
    Whos your Daddy?

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
    So I decided Jan 1st to walk in the spare bath and knock out a piece of vanity. The only thing I haven't done /had done is my bathrooms and living room floors. So the vanity is gone now and I started getting quotes. You have got to be kidding me at 10,000 to start on my hall bath. Now mind you I have a custom vanity coming, new toilet, and bidet sitting in my spare room.

My problem I think is that I ordered a white vanity, white toilet and my tub is off white, maybe a hint of tan. I didn't really think about this until after the vanity was en route.

Now a buddy of mine would do the floors for 850 going up the walls 4 feet but just until you get to the tub. Paint was like 650.00 or so and then it went thru the roof doing the bath. Now, granted I want nothing crazy but he wants me to do a shower. I think with a cheap tub replacement he is still up in the 6500-8500 range or so. Is it just me, or would a tub and wall enclosure that attach to the studs not be a hard install? I have a BFH to knock the tub out with.

So talk me out of doing this myself? Is it that hard? I have been watching U tube videos and looks pretty straight forward. I mean I could buy the tools and materials for probably under a 1000.00. Am I nuts for thinking bath remodels are a little out there?

Today I was chipping out floor piece's on lunch, half done. Hey that shit will cut you flying out of there!
    You can do the tub yourself no problem.. just take your time and don’t try to force it..
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      You can do the tub yourself no problem.. just take your time and don’t try to force it..
      Yeah I may gut it this weekend. The tub doesn't look horrible but if I yank the surround I might as well jerk the tub I guess. Bad thing is I could probably clean and re grout the shower wall and it would look ok /save me a bunch of time.It is just where the walls connect and then around the tub. I am pissed off my Vanity said last Friday and then changed to Monday, then the 8th, now for sure on the 13th. It is sitting in Garland. GOD D@#MN morons at Home Depot and it never even tracked. I was going to throw it in and see what I thought about the contrasting colors.

I guess the great thing is I am in no hurry, just two of us, and we got the Master.

Pics up in a sec. My wife picked the colors prior. It will be Alpha blue and we have a Nautical theme going this time.
      Last edited by kingjason; 02-06-2018, 06:26 PM.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Been used twice maybe in 6 years. Well we use the toilet area and so do guests but the shower never.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If you are going to do a shower stall, I highly suggest you do some research on doing a proper system. Going with a shower liner just isnt good practice. I have done a Kerdi shower and a Hydroban shower and while I think the hydroban is easier, lots of people like Kerdi. Either system isnt cheap but you wont have leaks and mold to contend with. For a few hundred bucks extra, its worth it to do it right the first time.

Watch videos by Sal DiBlasi on youtube. He has an amazing tile channel that will hold your hand through a full bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            If you are going to do a shower stall, I highly suggest you do some research on doing a proper system. Going with a shower liner just isnt good practice. I have done a Kerdi shower and a Hydroban shower and while I think the hydroban is easier, lots of people like Kerdi. Either system isnt cheap but you wont have leaks and mold to contend with. For a few hundred bucks extra, its worth it to do it right the first time.

Watch videos by Sal DiBlasi on youtube. He has an amazing tile channel that will hold your hand through a full bathroom.
            Oh I have no interest in doing a shower, he talks a lot of people into that though. I have a two person shower in the Master I need to clean up and regrout a little. My biggest debate here is ripping out the tub or just cleaning up the grout lines and leaving it and the surround. My problem is I think new tile may really look off with that old stuff in there especially white tile.

So if I yank it, I was going to just go with a premade tub and surround that bolt to the studs HD sells. 500.00 and would look all new and fresh plus no special wall stuff. I already have about 150k equity in this thing and I don't think the bathroom upgrade based on the spare bath will increase the value that much. Originally we were talking 20k for ceramic wood floors in house and a full gut and remodel of the baths. Now that I thought was reasonable but 10 -12k for the little bathroom. Nope, I am out!
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

You can get a tub refinisher for a couple hundred bucks. THey will come in and sand it and repaint it all so it looks new.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                Oh I have no interest in doing a shower, he talks a lot of people into that though. I have a two person shower in the Master I need to clean up and regrout a little. My biggest debate here is ripping out the tub or just cleaning up the grout lines and leaving it and the surround. My problem is I think new tile may really look off with that old stuff in there especially white tile.

So if I yank it, I was going to just go with a premade tub and surround that bolt to the studs HD sells. 500.00 and would look all new and fresh plus no special wall stuff. I already have about 150k equity in this thing and I don't think the bathroom upgrade based on the spare bath will increase the value that much. Originally we were talking 20k for ceramic wood floors in house and a full gut and remodel of the baths. Now that I thought was reasonable but 10 -12k for the little bathroom. Nope, I am out!
                If you are going to the lengths to re-tile the floor, new commode and vanity, I would re-tile the shower walls as well. You can lay D100 (6x6) tile very easily and it will freshen things up.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                You can get a tub refinisher for a couple hundred bucks. THey will come in and sand it and repaint it all so it looks new.
                If you don't want to mess with pulling the tub and putting in a new one, this right here is your solution. All it is to begin with is porcelain or enamel over steel, in most instances.
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

all you need to do to the tub is have it coated white. i can pm you a buddys number if youd like? i know he does that for a living but i've never actually seen his work.

Comment

Having the tub re-coated makes them look brand new. They do chip fairly easy if you ever try to re-caulk the tub in the future (at least with whatever the material the company I worked for used).

Shit smell puts a hurting on gear oil too for the first day or so.

Comment

Yeah, I am not going to fight it. Angies list has a place out of Lewisville that apparently coats the shit out of them for 400.00. I will just keep gutting then pick a tile I can do the floors with and up the walls. I mean why yank a perfectly good tub! Although the center is busted out of the drain. I did go around and look this morning. There is a vent on that side of the wall to get at the bath tub plumbing.

I have considered staining the floors but meh, I don't know. I did that in one house and it looked pretty good. The parts we cleaned actually turned out better than the company ones the company did. That was 20 years ago though. I am using this to learn what not to do on my master. I just want a new cabinet and tile in there. I have a buddy that built my kitchen. I bet he could build me a cabinet with a top just a little taller and a wider so I don't have to re paint!

Hmm, maybe I should punch a window in there!
                      Last edited by kingjason; 02-07-2018, 06:08 PM.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Nice not to be in a hurry. Tomorrow that tub is going to meet my BFH. Oh and in case anyone wonders why the toilet is still standing. When we have torrential rains for days on end, that folks, is the only shitter that works. I had luck retrenching my house on the south wall and it helped a bit. Today I trenched a little on the side with the septics. I can't imagine standing water helps much. I knew I was going to drag my feet a little on this and wouldn't you know here comes the storms.

Shocking there was no plastic back there. I plan to re-plumb everything at once so I have to plan that out. Not even sure that drain in back is bolted down to the main pipe. It is like they slammed the tub down and went "oh the pressure will hold it"!

Last edited by kingjason; 02-21-2018, 07:26 PM.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

convert shower plumbing to a single valve for hot and cold while you are there.

I can't tell if you are keeping the tub or not based on your comments. If you are getting rid of it... I think you will have a hard time fitting in a 5ft prefab tub and surround since the house is already built. You could probably do a tub and 3 piece surround. That's the route we went on a rental remodel due small spaces.

I say keep the tub. Have it professionally epoxied. Places up here offer 2 year warranties. Change all of the fixtures/drains on the tub as well. I would tile the walls with a subway tile or something else you might like.

Comment

F that tub. Just FYI 5 licks with the BFH and it was obvious it was a steel tub. Popped right out once I bent the tabs in from the back as the backing boards don't go all the way down. Raised up the left side, stood it straight up, slid out and threw in my truck. The drain was barely hanging in there and where it attached to the ground pipe, well it was just hanging in there no seal. That hole there is right at 60. What you don't see is all the little shims and some not so little shims to get it to 60. That little piece of sheet rock jetting out is covering some empty space, I just cut it at the corner. I could cram anything in there maybe up to 65 inches. Yes I am re-plumbing everything while I am there. I honestly don't see the value of custom tiling the back wall and all that shit does is mold eventually. This is the main guest bathroom but the tub/shower never gets used. Most likely a one, two or three piece unit will be in there. Who knows though, I may change my mind. I gotta run my electrical for my bidet now that the walls are down.

Last edited by kingjason; 02-22-2018, 04:15 PM.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Did you paint that wall green?

Comment

Working...
                              X