Motivation /Tracking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose I'll jump in here also.

The past 18 months have wrecked me physically. Traveling 50% of my life, living in hotels, eating in cars in strange places, drinking too much, all while doing a MS program in the same 18 months. FML. I put on 25 lbs and lost a lot of strength.
    Time to fix it. My birthday was last week, and after that dinner I, for all intents and purposes, got on the wagon. I might have ONE drink every now and then, but I'm dropping the alcohol calories for a quick fix. Beyond that I'm not going for pure strength. Whenever I take a break and come back it's not too terribly hard to get back to a 405 deadlift / 365 squat / 165 strict press, but I don't think I want that this time. I need a lot more conditioning in my life...

So I'm going back to the Pipehitter program I started and then quit right before that crazy 18 months started.

Day 1 is today:
    Find 1RM squat
    Squat 85% 1RM, 5x5

3 Rounds:
    Weighted walking lunges (x20)
    Wallballs (x15)
    12-18" box jumps (x10)
    Row 300m

Find 1RM Deadlift
    Deadlift 85% 1RM, 5x5
    Weighted walking lunges (x20)

3 Rounds:
    Weighted box step-ups (x10 each leg)
    Dumbbell sumo squats (x10)
    Weighted dumbbell burpees (x15)
    Row 400m
    Because I'm pretty sure there's another meniscus scoping in my future I'm replacing all running with rowing, meter for meter equivalent, so 1 mile run becomes 1600m row.

LATE EDIT:18 months off and I hit a 325 squat (then 275 for 5x5) and a 315 deadlift (then 265 for 5x5... had more on the deadlift but was being form conscious. I have no need for a back injury)

For some accountability I'm also going to spreadsheet it like last time (and then never again put so much work on my plate that my health takes a backseat). FML, this should be fun.

If anyone's interested, there's also a 10 week MARSOC (Marines Special Ops) fitness prep program that's pretty good.
    This app is focused on the physical fitness portion of this ideology: improving physical performance through training and nutrition. It provides photographs and descriptions of exercises used by MARSOC, and will help prepare candidates for the physical aspects of the Assessment and Selection process. Upon arriving at A&S, candidates are expected to have completed this 10-week program.
    Download the app and there's 7 days/week for 10 weeks with warmup/stretches, main workouts, cooldowns, detailed info on each workout (pics + text), prescribed rest days, etc. It progresses from mostly calisthenic stuff in the beginning to a 12 mile / 50 lb ruck in under 3 hrs by the end, with running, swimming, etc in there also.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      I don't know shit about shit when it comes to that stuff, but didn't you just start TRT? I'd venture to guess that you'd want to give that at least 6 months and make sure your levels (T, E2, hematocrit, etc) are where they need to be before thinking about adding whatever else.
      You make valid points. Yes, I got on TRT early October and I did retest in December. My numbers all look good except my triglycerides and cholesterol which were high. I take a cholesterol med and hardly ever eat meat (red meat, chicken, pork). My T levels were good though, upper 400s after no injection for 6/7 days. Everything else looked good too from what the doc said. In fact he said if I wanted to try and up the dose take it up another 10-20%.

I plan on doing blood-work again in April when I get home next.

Good luck getting back into the gym. I downloaded that MARSOC app. Looked at the workouts and it reminded me too much of my Marine PT days so I closed out of it. lol

I hunted for an app that better fits what I am doing now but just couldn't find one without spending money to download the wrong ones to see what was in them. I really like this program here as a base and I add into it. http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator I'm not looking for power lifting strength but it has worked for me since July in building up the 4 major lifts and with supplemental exercises I have lost body fat and gained muscle and gym confidence. I do 2 days on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off and repeat. In another few weeks I will trim a day off at the end of the week. Right now I am too sore and need the extra recovery day.

I have a 185 body weight goal to hit by my next R&R and a few 5 rep goals to hit in overhead press, deadlift, bench and squat. It may be a little hard to keep up the routine though, I am about to be traveling Africa again. They are looking to send me to Chad for a few months for a project.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• If he'll write the script, then up the test....doo eet naow!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
          If he'll write the script, then up the test....doo eet naow!!
          I've got enough with me to last 30 weeks at 100mg a week. Or I can bump it 25% and go 25 weeks. Still plenty to lady until my next r&r in april.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            Time to fix it. My birthday was last week, and after that dinner I, for all intents and purposes, got on the wagon. I might have ONE drink every now and then, but I'm dropping the alcohol calories for a quick fix.
            I haven't had a drop of alcohol on 4 and a half years, yet still manage to carry an extra 30lbs, all the while working out 4-6 days a week. IMO cutting the booze is only the start, you've gotta tighten up that diet as well.

The only change for me lately is to start lifting in the morning before work. This will allow for a more consistent schedule (no lunch time errands getting in the way), and then I can add cardio for lunch as my schedule allows. The other benefit is that I'm a lot more energized when I do get to work, which makes the day sail by, and motivation is as high as it's been in a while.

That old saying "If nothing changes then nothing changes" kept playing in my mind, while I kept trying to tell myself that "my workouts are fine, I don't need cardio" when quite obviously the scale isn't moving.

For now it's no fun getting up in the am, but hopefully my internal clock will adjust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big A View Post
              I haven't had a drop of alcohol on 4 and a half years, yet still manage to carry an extra 30lbs, all the while working out 4-6 days a week. IMO cutting the booze is only the start, you've gotta tighten up that diet as well.
              Getting old is a motherfucker.

Comment

• Meh, I'm as strong as I've ever been, and the weight gain was most certainly earned with a crappy diet. Though my metabolism slowing down in the coming years is a reality, that is easily combatted by adjusting caloric intake, I've just not cared to do it until now.

No excuses here, there are plenty of men that are older than me and in great shape. When test levels eventually drop too far, I'll get on HRT without a blink. Age is just a number.

Comment

• Got 505# up for 2 tonight on deadlift with good form. Slowly progressing. Squats are 315 working sets currently and chest is about the same. Working 12 hour shifts for the last few weeks so balancing gym/sleep/work is an ass kicking. Luckily, strength hasn't taken a dive for the sheer exhaustion I'm dealing with.
                  2019 ram 4x4.....no toys currently

Comment

• Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    If he'll write the script, then up the test....doo eet naow!!
                    I bumped it to 120mg a week and feel great. I am gonna keep it there until I get blood work done in April.

I've been turning it up in the gym but I compared my numbers for my routine to what I was doing in Nov an I realized I may have turned up the sets and reps but my weight in a few of my compound lifts had dropped. So I need to adjust fire and turn it up some more.

Still on a
                    Day 1 - Overhead press, close grip bench, upper back, biceps, triceps, shoudlers
                    Day 2 - Deadlift, front squat, good mornings (have helped tremendously in my squats), abs
                    Day 3 - Sprints (100m) and pull ups and light abs, stretching
                    Day 4 - Bench press, incline press, flys, biceps, triceps, light upper back, shoulders
                    Day 5 - Squats, straight leg deadlift, good mornings, core, abs
                    Day 6 - Sprints (100m) and pull ups and light abs, stretching
                    Repeat at Day 1...no day 7 or off day.

Weight is hovering right at 194-196. Trying to get it down to 185 by April and feel 110% confident I can do it. Those sprint days should help turn up the caloric burn. I started in Africa 10 months ago weighing 215-220 wearing 38s (a little loose). Now I am in 36s and they are very loose. Time to pull the 34s from the closet when I get home.
                    Last edited by KBScobravert; 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Keep it up everyone!

I'm getting back on the bandwagon. I kind of slacked off with eating and I can tell the weight is slowly creeping back on. I had got down to 184 and into a medium shirt comfortably. Now with terrible eating, I'll hover at 190. I'll clean it up this week and see where I'm at. I think I'll get back down to 187 by cleaning the crap out of my gut but my scale still shows I'm up 1% body fat.

I also took a break with test injections about 3-4 months ago...I'm going to get blood work done to see what my natural levels are. I'm hoping this isn't playing a big role in the weight gain. I'll most likely get back on it...I just wanted a break for a while.

Comment

• Keep it up man.

I can't imagine dropping off T for anything right now. On my 6th day, everyone in my tent starts asking what is wrong with me. My attitude dips hard. That is on a 120mg once a week on the same day. I may have to start doing mine every 7 days. So start on a sunday then next week hit on saturday then next week friday etc.

My weight loss and gains have been F'ing great. I'm down to 192 (just weighed). I took a month off from the creatine and just got back on it 7 days ago...so I am retaining water surely. I figure without being on it, I would be around 189/190.

Finally getting to order new pants. 36s are getting loose so time for some 34's. I figure by the time they get here in a month, they will be perfect.

My workouts have been great. Just changed things up a little now that I am at the strength level I want and I am working on weights where I can get 15, 12, 10, 8 and dropset 8 reps in. This first week is finding the right numbers that challenge me but not too heavy that I can not get all the reps each set.

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                        Keep it up everyone!

I'm getting back on the bandwagon. I kind of slacked off with eating and I can tell the weight is slowly creeping back on. I had got down to 184 and into a medium shirt comfortably. Now with terrible eating, I'll hover at 190. I'll clean it up this week and see where I'm at. I think I'll get back down to 187 by cleaning the crap out of my gut but my scale still shows I'm up 1% body fat.

I also took a break with test injections about 3-4 months ago...I'm going to get blood work done to see what my natural levels are. I'm hoping this isn't playing a big role in the weight gain. I'll most likely get back on it...I just wanted a break for a while.
                        Last edited by KBScobravert; 02-11-2017, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• Kieth, I have the SOFLETE Juggernaut program if you want it.

I got separated from all the guys I was working out with during airborne hold and the first few days of airborne I had gotten a little lazy, put on a few pounds. I found some Air Force SOF guys and they have been kicking my ass these last couple days. Finally back into the swing of it.
                          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

• Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            Kieth, I have the SOFLETE Juggernaut program if you want it.

I got separated from all the guys I was working out with during airborne hold and the first few days of airborne I had gotten a little lazy, put on a few pounds. I found some Air Force SOF guys and they have been kicking my ass these last couple days. Finally back into the swing of it.
                            thanks. I'll stick to what won't kill me.

I'd much rather workout on my own vs with a bunch of guys. Here on base we call the groups that show up at once, The Bros. They travel in packs of 4 or more. It is amazing they can get in a workout with so much bullshitting going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• I got to say I am thrilled with the results I have been getting considering I limit my cardio to my weight routines and do 100m sprints only once a week.

My 36" pants were starting to get loose so I ordered up some 34s 2 weeks ago. We just got a mail run and I was shocked they came in already.

I was more shocked that I fit in them perfectly. In another month, they too might be loose. Loose enough to fit a pistol and I am gonna be completely satisfied.

My weight on the scale has stayed pretty stagnant. I have bounced between 192-195 over the past month. BUT lost weight around my waist and midsection.

Now if we could only get some damn cardio equipment in the gym, I could trim the fat real frickin fast. Running outside is just a terrible idea here with the wind and dust plus it bores me.

195lbs and wearing 34s, I am happy with that.
                              Last edited by KBScobravert; 02-25-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Keep it going Keith, congrats on your results. Stay focused and crush it.

My progress is still developing. Scale jumps all around, appearance has changed and I'm having random people at the gym tell me that I'm getting big and small at the same time. I tweaked my back something fierce so for the time being I am working around the new injury lol.
                                2019 ram 4x4.....no toys currently

Comment

Working...
                                X