80% Lowers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80% Lowers...

Has anyone built an 80% lower? I bought a billet one and corresponding jig from Runner Runner for my next build. So today I picked up a Ryobi hand router to use as a mill. I just need the 1/4" end mill bit to get started.

I like that there are blank slates.....and of course not considered a firearm until you finish the milling process. Therefore it can be left with an engraver without them being an FFL. I think.

Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

The only downside is you can't sell them.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
      Yep. I plan on adding it to the trusts assets and keeping it. Worst case you don't like it, strip it for parts and cut it up. If this one goes well, I am going to do a .308 lower next.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
        Yep. I plan on adding it to the trusts assets and keeping it. Worst case you don't like it, strip it for parts and cut it up. If this one goes well, I am going to do a .308 lower next.
        Badass!

Comment

That's what is great about the AR platform; keep the 80% lower to rebuild into something else and sell the upper you are tired of. Hell if you have other ARs you can always swap uppers and lowers around until you find a complete combo you can sell. Or just buy a bigger safe.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

not really true.

The home builder can sell face to face with out a sn. No laws require that personally built firearms have to be serialized or engraved. The ATF has asked that home builders follow with the FFL engraving specs so the atf can trace the weapon.

The next thing to be considered is when does a person become a manufacturer and require a ffl. If more than one is made at a time it could be argued that is manufacturing. A person may also be considered a mfr if the person is selling more 1 a year. Although there are some augments that say that selling more than 1 a quarter is manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
              not really true.

The home builder can sell face to face with out a sn. No laws require that personally built firearms have to be serialized or engraved. The ATF has asked that home builders follow with the FFL engraving specs so the atf can trace the weapon.

The next thing to be considered is when does a person become a manufacturer and require a ffl. If more than one is made at a time it could be argued that is manufacturing. A person may also be considered a mfr if the person is selling more 1 a year. Although there are some augments that say that selling more than 1 a quarter is manufacturing.
              That's still not worth rolling the dice.

Comment

You're going to try that with a hand router? I was using a drill press and was having a rough time. The tolerances are really low...etc. Let me know how it works out.

I have a nice router if you want to give it a try. Been staring at my lower for months trying to figure out wth to do about it.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  You're going to try that with a hand router? I was using a drill press and was having a rough time. The tolerances are really low...etc. Let me know how it works out.

I have a nice router if you want to give it a try. Been staring at my lower for months trying to figure out wth to do about it.
                  Whose jig did you use? What end mill bit?

I just ordered this one and their drill bit & end mill set.
                  We stock AR15 lower jigs from models like our Easy Jig to our Universal Drill Press. See what AR15 jigs we have for your 80% lower build right here!
                  Last edited by KBScobravert; 11-24-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

First of all, good luck and I honestly mean that. From personal expierience (I have done exactly 2 of these on a full sized mill) Its not easy even on a professional grade machine and the jigs leave something to be desired. Thats a sweet reciever to try for the first time. I hope all of your fingers make it out alive.

I dont want that to come off like it cant be done, I would suspect though that with that nice reciever that you want it to look great as well as function great and that is where someone with little to none machining expierience (once again an assumption) can have a rough time on one of these.
                    Last edited by inline 6; 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                        First of all, good luck and I honestly mean that. From personal expierience (I have done exactly 2 of these on a full sized mill) Its not easy even on a professional grade machine and the jigs leave something to be desired. Thats a sweet reciever to try for the first time. I hope all of your fingers make it out alive.

I dont want that to come off like it cant be done, I would suspect though that with that nice reciever that you want it to look great as well as function great and that is where someone with little to none machining expierience (once again an assumption) can have a rough time on one of these.
                        Thanks I have a cheaper jig like the link posted above from copes. After watching a few videos, the link I posted from 80percent.com is the one I will use. It has a larger table for the hand router to rest on.

Hopefully I can keep all my fingers but just in case, I will setup the GoPro.

Comment

Whose jig did you use? What end mill bit?

I just ordered this one and their drill bit & end mill set.
                          http://www.80percentarms.com/collect...ar-15-easy-jig
                          Personally used this setup..

Disclaimer: This article will discuss the process of completing an AR-15 80% lower with common tools found in most hardware stores.?A provision in the Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C, Chapter 44 states that an unlicensed individual can make a firearm for personal use, but not for the intent of sale or distribution. Said … Read More …

Comment

Thanks I have a cheaper jig like the link posted above from copes. After watching a few videos, the link I posted from 80percent.com is the one I will use. It has a larger table for the hand router to rest on.

Hopefully I can keep all my fingers but just in case, I will setup the GoPro.
                            Please post up how it went. I'm a little pissy I was not able to complete what seemed like a fairly easy project.

Comment

Also, I say for me the biggest frustration is the jig itself being soft metal and getting bored out. IMHO, if you have a jig that can take a few hits with the bit - it'll help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X