Timing Light recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Light recommendation

I'm in the market for a timing light that will work on my OBD-1 Ford's, an F-150 and a Mustang, both 5.0's. Looking on Amazon on Ebay finds a lot of no-name brands from $25-250. Reviews are all over the board.

Could go old school with a vintage model from Ebay also. Just not sure what is a good choice and how well it works.

Looking for decent quality that is accurate and will last. This will be a seldom used tool for my home garage.

What do you use and why?

I have an old school Sun, the light isn't very bright, but it works good enough. I haven't had to use it in years, but nice to have one in the toolbox.
    I would get one with a bright light (LED) if possible, for the most part that's the most important part of a timing light...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Buy one with an advance function for total timing.

Comment

I have a digital Matco MD86 with advance. It is 20 years old now and no issues.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I use a craftsman that I bought 20 years ago. No problems yet.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I just use an old school disco strobe light.. Much easier to adjust since the knob is right on the light!

Comment

Some good suggestions, now where did I put that disco light?

I'm looking at this one. It displays RPM and Total Advance.
              Four function readouts: Tachometer: 249 to 9,990 RPM Advance Degrees: (2 and 4-cycle) 0? to 90? Dwell: 0? to 180? (2-12 cylinders)

The reviews for this brand are similar to all of the others, works great for some people, only works for a short time for others.

I might go ahead and get this one, it is in the price range that I hoped spend, and might work OK. I only hesitate because the reviews don't inspire confidence that it will last as long as it should.

Comment

That'll work. Not as bad as pushing
                around a Sun tune up machine.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                  Some good suggestions, now where did I put that disco light?

I'm looking at this one. It displays RPM and Total Advance.
                  Four function readouts: Tachometer: 249 to 9,990 RPM Advance Degrees: (2 and 4-cycle) 0? to 90? Dwell: 0? to 180? (2-12 cylinders)

The reviews for this brand are similar to all of the others, works great for some people, only works for a short time for others.

I might go ahead and get this one, it is in the price range that I hoped spend, and might work OK. I only hesitate because the reviews don't inspire confidence that it will last as long as it should.
                  If you have a multi spark ignition (or are considering), make sure your timing light is compatible.

Comment

I just bought the auto zone special with all the features Granted that was 15 yrs ago so i dont know what they have nowadays but it works and it was cheap enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X