Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have access to scrap aluminum plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have access to scrap aluminum plate?

I'm trying to dial in my cnc on various aluminum types. I'm looking for some scrap aluminum plate to test on. It's proving to be quite difficult to find. Just checking in with my local guys if they might have any ideas or could help.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

How much plate do you need?

I have some smaller pieces...but yiu can also get it dirt cheap on Ebay or at industrialmetalsales.com.

Metals4u in Austin used to have a scrap bin so I would imagine they have one at the dallas location as well.

Comment

Check out Garland steel, they have a ton of drops and will sell shorts for a reasonable price.
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I don't need anything big, just some plate I can make some passes on to set my feed rates and depth of cut. I don't want to tear up good expensive stock just to calibrate my machine. Just about anything would work. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out those shops.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

If you end up have to buy material, I have been using Discount Steel in Saginaw a lot lately. Best prices locally on stock sizes right now. They have showroom full of droppings and precut pieces priced per pound.

Comment

I have some small scrap 6061 bar if you're near mckinney and want it.

I probably have the stock I used to snap a few bits when I was first figuring it out. My problem was with the aluminum gumming up and sticking to the bit so I had to get a mist system or run a really low DOC. I'm also using a cnc router so the RPMs are much higher than a typical mill.

Comment

You might check with online metals in GP, they might have a scrap bin or misscuts.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Side note, if I gave you a file would you be able to cut me a skid plate with my logo cut out in it? If so, how much?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I'm trying to dial in my cnc on various aluminum types. I'm looking for some scrap aluminum plate to test on. It's proving to be quite difficult to find. Just checking in with my local guys if they might have any ideas or could help.
                  How big of a piece can it handle? Not that I have any laying around but curious what you can do with this machine.

And I REALLY need to get over to that side of town next r&r. Probably late August.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                    If you end up have to buy material, I have been using Discount Steel in Saginaw a lot lately. Best prices locally on stock sizes right now. They have showroom full of droppings and precut pieces priced per pound.
                    Love that place. Even my daughter likes it in their new showroom of drops.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                      How big of a piece can it handle? Not that I have any laying around but curious what you can do with this machine.

And I REALLY need to get over to that side of town next r&r. Probably late August.
                      750mm x 750mm is my max material size.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                        Side note, if I gave you a file would you be able to cut me a skid plate with my logo cut out in it? If so, how much?
                        I don't even have time to get my own stuff done to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          750mm x 750mm is my max material size.
                          [Mr Burns fingers] excellent [/Mr Burns fingers]

nearly 2.5ft x 2.5ft.

What do you actually plan on doing with this?

Comment

nearly 2.5ft x 2.5ft.

Didn't look it up but that's actually bigger than I thought.

Comment

nearly 2.5ft x 2.5ft.

With this cnc machine? Build a bigger CNC machine.

I do all sorts of things with it, big things, small things. 100 of same thing.

This machine runs on 9mm 3GT3 belts with 270oz NEMA 23 steppers. I'm going to be building a bigger machine that is screw drive with NEMA 34's. It can tear through wood, mdf, and carbon fiber no problem (~150-200ipm), but aluminum takes much longer. It's difficult to keep large machines rigid enough for metal work.
                              Last edited by CJ; 06-27-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X