DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Jose
Lifer

Default Thoughts on Semi Auto Shotguns? Beretta 1301 Tactical?

Because the other post got so fucked up I decided to start another one.

So I wanted to know what's so special with the Beretta 1301 Tactical compared to other semi auto shotguns? I've been wanting to get a Mossberg 930 but someone was mentioning that some of the plastic parts are the weak point. Price definitely seems friendly. Any downside to the Beretta?
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member

The Mossberg is fine. I have one you can test out if you like. I was the one that mentioned the plastic parts. None of them have failed on me but they are critical parts and are fragile to my eyes.

I do not have any of the gas operated Beretta's but Beretta makes fan-fucking-tastic shotguns and I would not give a seconds thought about being able to trust it.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
GeorgeG.
Lifer

I seem to recall the Mossberg JM Pro and the Baretta 1301 were very closely priced. If that holds true, I'd probably swing for the Baretta. A price difference of $200 bucks would sway me towards the Mossberg

One review after a quick googles. No mention of plastic parts but still...
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...series-review/
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

These are the parts of a 930 that concern me.

https://www.mossberg.com/store/16772.html
https://www.mossberg.com/store/16858.html
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
kingjason
Notorious PIG

No experience with the Beretta but tons with the Mossy. I have not found the ones I tried and have owned to be super reliable. Some were older but brand new and then some were well worn. All had feed problems at some point. We took several to a clay shoot two years in a row. We actually got good at tap, rack, and cycling to hit the second target before it hit the ground. Never looked into this as we never carried them in our squads (only pumps).

I tried a lot of semi autos over several years and built that Saiga. Just like I tell anyone looking to buy a magazine fed Shotty. Not a great delivery system. Shotgun shells were never meant to be stacked with any pressure on the tips. It deforms them and causes problems. I did figure out solutions but none were great.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

^^^^ I have had the same experience shooting Mossberg semi-autos as you have. To keep them going the guts either need to be wet with CLP or you can spray a bunch of Rem-Oil into the action once it gets gummed up. Depending on the powder used in the shells you can expect the gun to slow down after shooting 1 flat.

I even tried having the gas piston NP3 coated and it did not do what I expected. I should have removed the mag tube and had it coated at the same time but that will have to wait until I send the next batch of stuff to Robar.

Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-09-2018 at 10:16 AM.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
No experience with the Beretta but tons with the Mossy. I have not found the ones I tried and have owned to be super reliable. Some were older but brand new and then some were well worn. All had feed problems at some point. We took several to a clay shoot two years in a row. We actually got good at tap, rack, and cycling to hit the second target before it hit the ground. Never looked into this as we never carried them in our squads (only pumps).

I tried a lot of semi autos over several years and built that Saiga. Just like I tell anyone looking to buy a magazine fed Shotty. Not a great delivery system. Shotgun shells were never meant to be stacked with any pressure on the tips. It deforms them and causes problems. I did figure out solutions but none were great.
This is some of the feedback that I am needing. I've had my heart set on the Mossberg but this turns me off. I know Keith has one (or maybe two?) and I'd be curious to see what he has to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
^^^^ I have had the same experience shooting Mossberg semi-autos as you have. To keep them going the guts either need to be wet with CLP or you can spray a bunch of Rem-Oil into the action once it gets gummed up. Depending on the powder used in the shells you can expect the gun to slow down after shooting 1 flat.

I even tried having the gas piston NP3 coated and it did not do what I expected. I should have removed the mag tube and had it coated at the same time but that will have to wait until I send the next batch of stuff to Robar.
Ugh! I'll have to do some reading up on the Beretta now. Good info, thanks.

On a side note, what all have you sent to Robar? I've been thinking about sending them my Glock 21 to get front cocking serrations milled into the slide and I've been thinking about getting it done up in NP3. What are your thoughts on the NP3 finishes especially for internal coatings?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
AnthonyS
Lifer

The binelli m4 is the gold standard. I have a mk3 stoeger. Given current pricing the 1301 would be my pick.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
inline 6
IN GOD WE TRUST

I have a remmy 1100 tac II that once I found out what it likes to eat (read the instructions) it runs like a top.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
On a side note, what all have you sent to Robar? I've been thinking about sending them my Glock 21 to get front cocking serrations milled into the slide and I've been thinking about getting it done up in NP3. What are your thoughts on the NP3 finishes especially for internal coatings?
I have used their coatings on so many things that it would be hard to mention them all so I will give you a few highlights.

I found a rough 586 that shot like a laser beam that I had refinished for looks. Trigger groups and bolt assemblies for at least 10 HK or HK contract rifles that I can think of. I had them do their entire "Thing" to an HK P7 and a few matching mags once. I had everything internal coated (after I went nuts on it with a dremel) on a Rem 1100lt 20ga special field that I bought as a gift for someone. The uppers and BCGs on a few AR15s and a few DPMS pattern AR10s. Call me crazy but back when a Makarov was a 60 dollar gun I went crazy working on one and cut the slide for some good sights and had it coated inside and out; I considered it money well spent. One of these days I am going to de-burr the guts of a really nice AK and send that in but I have a few cars to get knocked out before I can start on anymore gun projects.

In general two metal surfaces that are coated slide across each other very easily and gunk just wipes off with a damp rag. The coatings make for a buttery smooth action and I can say that I have never regretted spending the money on it.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #11
Jose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
I have used their coatings on so many things that it would be hard to mention them all so I will give you a few highlights.

I found a rough 586 that shot like a laser beam that I had refinished for looks. Trigger groups and bolt assemblies for at least 10 HK or HK contract rifles that I can think of. I had them do their entire "Thing" to an HK P7 and a few matching mags once. I had everything internal coated (after I went nuts on it with a dremel) on a Rem 1100lt 20ga special field that I bought as a gift for someone. The uppers and BCGs on a few AR15s and a few DPMS pattern AR10s. Call me crazy but back when a Makarov was a 60 dollar gun I went crazy working on one and cut the slide for some good sights and had it coated inside and out; I considered it money well spent. One of these days I am going to de-burr the guts of a really nice AK and send that in but I have a few cars to get knocked out before I can start on anymore gun projects.

In general two metal surfaces that are coated slide across each other very easily and gunk just wipes off with a damp rag. The coatings make for a buttery smooth action and I can say that I have never regretted spending the money on it.
Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

Earlier in this thread I kind of downplayed the quality of the mossberg 930. I recently found an aftermarket company that made products specifically for the Mossberg 930s and after installing their parts I have experienced zero failures in more than 2000 rounds fired. I don't think all the parts combined cost me a hundred and sixty bucks and I couldn't be happier now.

http://or3gun.com.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
AnthonyS
Lifer

If itís not fully semi-automatic itís not shit.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

It is fully semi-automatic, bigley so.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
War Machine
Lifer

Had a 930, loved it, ran great never had an issue
War Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Had a 930, loved it, ran great never had an issue
They tend to gag if the shells you are shooting have double base powder in them.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
The binelli m4 is the gold standard. I have a mk3 stoeger. Given current pricing the 1301 would be my pick.
Eh. The M2 is a better gun for regular users. The M4 is a touch over built and heavy, comparatively. The M2 regulary shows up for less than half what the M4 costs. That ball bag Nutnfancy didn't like it because it wouldn't run the cheapest low-brass dove load from Walmart for him. Meanwhile, hunters all over the country run M2 field guns on the cheapest dove load available without incident.

The truth, Jose, is that all semi-autos have quirks, and need to be run by the user to get any issues to surface. The 1301 is rad, and my favorite, but you need to put a guard over the shell release to avoid accidentally hitting it. If you hit it with a shell in the chamber and a loaded tube, it will let two shells out above the feeder/lifter and jam up the whole gun. The additional guard is in my opinion mandatory.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #18
svauto-erotic855
VIP Member

I have a Remington 1100 tactical that has never missed a lick if you use high-powered ammo in it. My personal favorite semi-auto tactical is an old Winchester Super X model 1 that I cut down a field barrel and added an extended magazine tube to it. The most reliable shotgun I have ever had my hands on and one I have trusted my life to on multiple occasions is a Winchester Model 12 Riot gun, it was sold to the Angola prison in 1927 and I've never figured out the circuitous route that it took to wind up in my hands.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #19
soap
I ♥️ 🐄

Not an auto but, I still wanna get a shockwave.

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄
soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #20
01yz2nv
Lifer

This is a bird gun, but I have a cheap ass Tristar Raptor 12g semi auto camo and that gun has been freaking amazing! I have a nib beretta A300 sitting in closet, and been using the Tristar so far this season haha, ol faithful. Itís been through atleast 6 dove seasons, and multiple Elm fork trips without a hiccup.

FFL & LTC Instructor
http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
Factory Five MK4 Cobra
Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
01yz2nv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti nay gun, forwhen nays break in