DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Pumpin' Iron

Pumpin' Iron Forum for any kind of work out discussions.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
AnthonyS
Lifer

If you do build it, Iíd love to know how you like the SRAM GX 1x12. Iíve thought Iíve going that route too.

Your money, your bike, enjoy the heck out of it.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #22
kingjason
Notorious PIG

The only drawback, and I never thought of this until my knee started bothering me, is you lose a little in the middle. Now probably not a whole lot on a 1x12, but on my 8 speed it was definitely a jump from one to the next and hard to find the sweet spot for cadence. I had a 1x10 on that Spec Roll and it was pretty decent, two more gears might help a little.

I was out screwing around on my MTB thinking, hmmmmm, maybe some new wheels and tires and slap my Jones on it. It already has the same seat. I would just swap the tires for now while I am working on everything but those god damn 29 tubeless ready wheels are redonculous to swap out. Even knowing the trick of dropping them into a groove. I always wondered how bad the 2.8 tires on the Supermoto would be to swap out. I bought some new 26 in 1.3 tires for the recumbent and they are non folders, didn't even need tools.

On a side note I can not steal the MTB stuff for the Carver. The back wheel is a 145 bolt on the Carver a 135 QR. Everything else would have been ok, and all XT, with a 2x12 set up on it.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-21-2020 at 09:09 PM.
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #23
kingjason
Notorious PIG

I was all decided on a Spec Sirrus X 5.0 but then realized that bitch was blue. I need to eyeball one but the blue on the aluminum bike is fugly.

So, on the hunt again and found the Pinarello Treviso. I really like this bike but I might be hard to find in 55. Carbon and a nice looking design. They are 1500 all over but not in my size.

https://www.citybikesonline.com/prod...o-351040-1.htm

I also kind of dig this one.

https://www.rollbicycles.com/product...afe-racer-bike
Old 06-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #24
kingjason
Notorious PIG

My first Ti is back together, all new cables, tires, full tune, etc etc. Now I am experimenting with my MTB I haven't used much since the trails are probably covered up. These tires are some serious rubber. I only got one today so I just mounted it, slapped on my bars, and rode down the street and back . That tire is sort a little heavy but rolls smooth. Glad I remembered all the steps to pulling tires and tubes off of those funky tubeless ready wheels.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nuCyobzr4TAmpwgAA

Last edited by kingjason; 06-21-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #25
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Does ridin the recumbent make your neck tired from holding your head in that position? I really looked into them when I was lookin for a bike, but couldn't risk that outlay on something I might not enjoy.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #26
kingjason
Notorious PIG

If it does you just add a headrest, mine came with one. I have been fucking with recumbents since I was 16. When I ride one I ride fairly laid back, even at that angle it is not bad, it is just better with a headrest. You can find recumbents cheap if you are patient. I almost bought a carbon CA2 Monday for 1200 but I already had the Ti one I was rebuilding. Find a Bacchetta Giro 20 with the bigger upright seat, those bikes are easier to learn on and the seats are super comfy. Then if you love it and want to go fast get one like mine. Look up Schlitter, Rans and Bacchetta for the top guys. My pool noodle is about to go and I am getting a finer recliner for the headrest. I had one on the Greenspeed Aero and it was dreamy, that thing laid me down at about 20 degrees though.

Oh and on a side note, if where you are is super hilly, recumbents are not great climbers. Rans has some super comfortable crank forward "performance" bikes also. I haven't got to demo one yet though.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #27
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Yeah, it is super hilly here, but I try to avoid anything big.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #28
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Bikesdirect got some more Ti straight bar bikes and I was seriously eyeballing them until I came across this. Exactly what I was looking for. I have asked them some questions but they will build it out with really nice equipment on the Gravel page. Probably going to be the winner.

https://www.vandesselcycles.com/bike...t-urban-gravel

On a side note, my MTB with Thickslicks weighs in at 37 pounds. The new flat gaurd slicks are probably twice as heavy as the offload tires, holey crap. I am going to give her a go today or tonight. I never noticed it on dirt. Since it is all top notch stuff it made me start looking at hard tail frames. No hurry on that though for sure.

Edit

The ole big girl rolled out pretty nice. I know most of it is just the bars and seat/ set up, but not bad. The wind was full force coming home and slowed me down a bit. I may try my little time trial 10 miles course later balls out and see how far it is off my old carbon bike I should have kept.

Also, I read a review on the Van Dessel talking about quad and thigh rub. Looked down and honestly I had never thought of that before and probably going to be an issue. I guess style is just going to go out the door unless I have something built.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-07-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #29
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Van Dessell it is, they were great to deal with and I dig it. The bike looks even better in person. The 1x12 is not bad at all, beats the 8 speed I had for sure. It still has some major steps on 11 and 12 but I only found myself in them messing around. Just what I was looking for. Picked it up from Lantinis in Plano Friday. Cool guy and knows his stuff for sure. Was going to set it up tubeless on the spot if I wanted to. He had some cool merchandise also.

I had a Roll Cafe Racer coming also but decided it would just to be the same as this one almost. Assuming they cancel it that is. I mean they are on back order until mid July and mine should have been shipping out this week sometime. If not I will give her a few rides and throw it on Craigslist. I can't imagine I would like it better than this one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A8Lu5V6VMoCuAggZ9
Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #30
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member

I really like Specialized bikes but I'd never go for anything more than a fixed tail. I've got a Fuse Comp bike and it's been a great 29er. There is one challenge thought. Even though it's a large sized bike, the handle bars are just too low. I have to use my fingertips to ride comfortably when sitting on the saddle. Otherwise my lower back starts to hurt. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to replace the low rise handlebars with something taller. MUCH taller.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #31
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I really like Specialized bikes but I'd never go for anything more than a fixed tail. I've got a Fuse Comp bike and it's been a great 29er. There is one challenge thought. Even though it's a large sized bike, the handle bars are just too low. I have to use my fingertips to ride comfortably when sitting on the saddle. Otherwise my lower back starts to hurt. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to replace the low rise handlebars with something taller. MUCH taller.
Mine is almost right there too, but if I'm gonna swap bars, I'm gonna have to get a new shifter cable and brake lines made and I'm afraid of what that'll cost. I don't particularly want a swept back bar either, so I'm also ignorant there.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #32
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
Mine is almost right there too, but if I'm gonna swap bars, I'm gonna have to get a new shifter cable and brake lines made and I'm afraid of what that'll cost. I don't particularly want a swept back bar either, so I'm also ignorant there.

I think there is enough slack in my cables to account for the bars but I'm willing to spend the money to make it work for me so I'll use it more.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #33
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

I called one of my local shops and they said it would be $25 labor then whatever parts cost to install the new rear shift cable and new rear hydraulic brake line. I think that's fair and I think I found the bar I want.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #34
AnthonyS
Lifer

My current non-road bike has 27.5 by 2.8s or so, steel frame, hard tail and steel fork. I really like how it rides. It's nice and cushy to me, yet doesn't wallow like a suspension bike can at times. Even quality front forks have too much dive under hard breaking for my tastes.

My next bike will probably be a fat tire Surly. I'm not sure if I want to go Ice Cream Truck crazy or get the Wednesday. I'd probably enjoy either. Since my current bike has racks and gear for touring the fat tire would just be for short trips and goofing around.

I know exactly what you are saying on the cost of a build from a frame vs. buying an entire bike. I know entire bikes are compromised, but by the time you buy a grouppo, a wheelset and a frame, you've already busted the budget with no place to sit, no handlebar, no headset, no stem, and other odds and ends.

I am upgrading the brakes on my Surly though because they suck. My wife's mid level Trek has better brakes.

And as for blue bikes. I love my blue bike. I do however want something darker and more subtle for my fat tire bike. I can get a Wednesday frame in battleship grey....
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:07 AM   #35
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Go look at Jones bikes. He puts big ass tubeless tires on them, and has some radical looking front end. Runs it at fairly low pressures and does some crazy stuff. Not crazy expensive either for his custom built for you bike. He has some interesting videos for sure. I love my Jones bars but not on my MTB for some reason.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/

I got my MTB from Bikesdirect. The build is all XT, 2x11, and a decent level Fork. I paid 1499 and it was on sale for like 65 percent off on a spring break sale. Retail was like 6500 for comparable bikes per their site. Realistically it was probably a 3500 bike in a normal brand and took me 30 minutes to build. It is kind of heavy at 33lbs(I guess) with the normal tires on it but I hardly notice when riding. The dual suspension takes some of the bite out of the trails and I can lock them both out.

Cables are a piece of cake. Most are universal and the housings are all the same 4mm shifter and 5mm brake. I stripped my Ti recumbent and re did all of them since I changed the bars out. Kits are like 30.00 but not for a recumbent they have some long runs. I just bought bulk housings and separate cables. Scored a White brothers wheel the other day for 95.00 with a great rim. Although it is tubeless ready and required soap and water to seat the bead. Tight bastard.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-23-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #36
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Without actually seeing how this bar will feel, my estimation says it should be perfect to get me more upright vs the 12 deg rise of the stock bars, but I'm uncertain about the width.
https://www.amazon.com/Spank-Spoon-H.../dp/B07DXPS92Y

vs

Stock: 6061 Aluminum Riser, 720mm Width, 12mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
Old 06-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #37
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Just trim the ends off if it is to wide. I stole the bar off my WTF and put it on my MTB. It was half the weight of the Ritchy but about an inch wider on both ends.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #38
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

I've heard that a bar change to something like this would change the geometry, thoughts? It felt implied that it wouldn't be a good ride and to maybe change the stem(I think).
Old 07-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #39
Nash B.
Lifer

Nah, changing the bars won't mess with the geometry. You just don't want to change something like the fork or read shock to something with significantly different specs

I went from 3x9 to 1x11 years ago because I never used the lower 2 chainrings, and my new bike has SRAM NX/GX Eagle stuff. I'd never go back to a front derailleur setup
Nash B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #40
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash B. View Post
Nah, changing the bars won't mess with the geometry. You just don't want to change something like the fork or read shock to something with significantly different specs

I went from 3x9 to 1x11 years ago because I never used the lower 2 chainrings, and my new bike has SRAM NX/GX Eagle stuff. I'd never go back to a front derailleur setup
I ended up putting a Delta riser stem between the headset and bars, it is 3ish inches tall and allows me to be just enough upright to not inflame my herniated discs. It ain't pretty, but it works.

I'm right with you on the 1x setup, much simpler and I think it looks better too.