No announcement yet.

Driving skills, do you have them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my heavy , long assed Mustang with the big block I could do stupid tricks and not worry much. In the Festiva I would go balls to the wall and could induce throttle-lift, controllable understeer. In my very light and short wheelbase Jeep with the school bus-like steering and limited slip I don't even try to take a corner at speed and drive like a granny when it is wet.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I am the real STIG

Comment

i know cobraboy has no driving skills when it comes to avoiding puddles

Comment

ahem! We don't have any track dates scheduled this year for our school but there are plenty of places I still teach that you monkies can find out whether you just THINK you can drive or whether you actually can. I'd bet 90% of you THINK you can drive but will be humbled in your first track day event by a miata driven by a girl.

If you are truly interested in doing an event, look up the local HPDE events at the various tracks in the state. You will get hooked....trust me!

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
            ahem! We don't have any track dates scheduled this year for our school but there are plenty of places I still teach that you monkies can find out whether you just THINK you can drive or whether you actually can. I'd bet 90% of you THINK you can drive but will be humbled in your first track day event by a miata driven by a girl.

If you are truly interested in doing an event, look up the local HPDE events at the various tracks in the state. You will get hooked....trust me!
            I'm pretty sure the OP was describing 'exhibition' driving skills, instead of true 'getting from one place to another in the fastest time possible' driving skills.

Stevo
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

/\ lol! I dont screw off at all anymore. I guess I just got old. I did testdrive a modded 03 M3 a while back and that car forced you to abuse it. Out of all the cars I have driven over the year, that car makes you feel like the stig(yes I hate admiting that).

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                In my heavy , long assed Mustang with the big block I could do stupid tricks and not worry much. In the Festiva I would go balls to the wall and could induce throttle-lift, controllable understeer. In my very light and short wheelbase Jeep with the school bus-like steering and limited slip I don't even try to take a corner at speed and drive like a granny when it is wet.

Stevo
                Lift-throttle understeer? That's one I've never heard of.

Comment

i had a blast in my single cab long bed ranger back in HS on bald tires. however, now i just contemplate the cost of the parts and work involved. this results in granny style driving 95% of the time, in my case.

i also got caught in a sudden rain storm once coming back from NSD on m/t e.t. streets and 4.56 gears. it's an experience i don't ever want to repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                    /\ lol! I dont screw off at all anymore. I guess I just got old. I did testdrive a modded 03 M3 a while back and that car forced you to abuse it. Out of all the cars I have driven over the year, that car makes you feel like the stig(yes I hate admiting that).
                    The 03.5 M3 SMG I used to drive had some bolt ons, springs and adjustable shocks. It was hard as hell to get the rear end out on it. I'll say that the lightly modded 99M3 I drove was better in a turn though.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                      Lift-throttle understeer? That's one I've never heard of.
                      Oversteer, my bad.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                        i had a blast in my single cab long bed ranger back in HS on bald tires. however, now i just contemplate the cost of the parts and work involved. this results in granny style driving 95% of the time, in my case.

i also got caught in a sudden rain storm once coming back from NSD on m/t e.t. streets and 4.56 gears. it's an experience i don't ever want to repeat.
                        I agree whole heartedly. My gutted (under 2800lbs) '67 coupe had a solid cam 351, fmx, 4.11 locker, with 11" wide "cheater" slicks. It taught me all I never wanted to know about driving a death trap in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post

If I had a car that could do this, I would do it without hesitation

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

I don't know if i have skills or not. I beat the hell out of my cars. I have done alot of cool shit but also have wrecked quite a few of them. Recieved quite a few speeding, excessive acceleration and exibition of speed tickets in my time. I like to think I am a driving mofo but I really might just be kidding myself. Yet I still do it.

Comment

I have grown up around dirt track my whole life. When I was 14 i raced my uncles car in the mechanics race, took 2nd place coming up from last in a 15 car field on a 12 lap race. I have done my fair share of "controlled sliding" in the past. would LOVE to get back into a dirt car some day.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                                Oversteer, my bad.

Stevo
                                Figured as much, but I'm no expert on FWD so I figured I'd raise the point. Hustling a Festiva sounds like a shitload of fun, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X