2020 Lawn Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Probie View Post
    Alright. I can’t do shit about it right now because I’m gone. But when I get back (hopefully in the next month or two) I’ve gotta do something about my lawn. And as this is my first house with an actual lawn, I’m gonna need some help. So basically, posting to remind myself to ask questions when I get home
    Start with a round of pre emergent and a bag of fertilizer
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      Did any of you know zemog IRL? He's been gone for a quite a while, but seemed very knowledgeable, just wonder what happened to him.
      Agreed

I learned a lot from his posts
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
        Here’s the junker reel mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Looks just like mine.

Comment

I've been doin a LOT of research about the grass types we have in our lawn and it's become very apparent that we have a very large portion of bentgrass(the stuff used on golf courses) and perennial rye that I've been mowing it too high.

I've been cutting it 3", sometimes 3.5" and the bentgrass only tolerates 2" max or it bends over like the name implies. I've got to work it down to the proper height over the next couple of weeks. It's growing so fast that I have to mow 2x a week to keep it in check. When it lays over, it becomes very clumpy, disease prone and looks bad if you're closer than 10' away.

Live and learn...

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            I've been doin a LOT of research about the grass types we have in our lawn and it's become very apparent that we have a very large portion of bentgrass(the stuff used on golf courses) and perennial rye that I've been mowing it too high.

I've been cutting it 3", sometimes 3.5" and the bentgrass only tolerates 2" max or it bends over like the name implies. I've got to work it down to the proper height over the next couple of weeks. It's growing so fast that I have to mow 2x a week to keep it in check. When it lays over, it becomes very clumpy, disease prone and looks bad if you're closer than 10' away.

Live and learn...
            I’ve learned if you take off more than 1/3 at a time it’s good to bag
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Yeah, if you're not gonna mow every 3ish days in peak growth times, you'll have to put up with clippings trails, piles, etc.

Comment

I decided this year to try a weed service. I've got a pre-emergent on my rocks and having the service take care of the grass. But at $50 a treatment, it's kinda pricey. I had better see some damn good results this year.

One downside for me this spring. We got a female puppy last December. That bitch burns grass bad. I'm hoping it'll get better after she gets fixed but that won't happen until the vets reopen.

Comment

My FiL trained his golden doodle to use one place that's marked out and has flower bed mulch chips in it. That makes it real easy to pick up their poop and no browning of the grass.

Comment

Still needs some improvement, but I think if I keep up the watering and put some seed in the bare spots another month or so and it will be a pretty decent yard. Not sure what to do with the rock areas, previous owner had a few more plants in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would add cactus and other succulents to the rock area. My prickly pear cactus have been blooming a lot lately. The only drawback to a cactus garden is when its time to pull weeds, trying not to get pricked.

Comment

plant some fire nandina, they're pretty tough and stay colorful year round.

Comment

Looks good man! We've lots of rock borders here and it's a lot of work keeping them clean.

Comment

I put out weed and feed this year for the first time in a few years. I believe I overestimated my weed to grass ratio.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              I put out weed and feed this year for the first time in a few years. I believe I overestimated my weed to grass ratio.
                              As it warms up, most of them will die anyway 👍🏻.. you can buy cheap pre emergent and it will significantly help your weed situation for spring and fall
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I use that preen stuff on my granite areas and front fountain and it appears to do ok. Never thought about using it on the lawn. While some days I would like a booshy lawn, I am just not that motivated.
                                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X