Router signal strength sucks all of a sudden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router signal strength sucks all of a sudden

My Linksys WRT54GL has been going strong for the past 4-5 years with no issues, but all of a sudden the signal strength is awful. I live in a pretty small one story house and the router is in the office which is probably within 40 feet of any spot in my house, however my phone will only connect to it if I'm in the office. The iPad connection goes in and out in the living room, which shares a wall with the office. The PS3 takes about 5-10 minutes to connect to it. I've never had any issues with it but all of a sudden it went from good to bad.

I've searched on the webz and a few threads suggested changing which channel it uses so I went from 6 to 11, but this has not fixed it. Any help?

Try looking around the settings and see if you can adjust the rf output power. Does it have a external antenna, maybe its bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYouL8R View Post
      I've searched on the webz and a few threads suggested changing which channel it uses so I went from 6 to 11, but this has not fixed it. Any help?
      So, saw this thread title the other day on my phone and thought that first.

The big deal with 802.11 at least what we are all using is 1, 6 and 11 are the channels we should be using. Without going into a ton of detail - you should use a phone app or something and figure out what if any other SSIDs are immediately around you. Then figure out what channels they are using. A lot of consumer gear comes out of the box on channel 6.

So, lets say you find out 6 and 11 are nearby - use 1. However, you may see that 1, 6 and 11 are in use nearby. Walk around your house and figure out what channel is the lowest powered and use it.

3 things.

1. If you figure out that none are overlapping with what you're using the AP/router maybe crapping out on you. It happens or some setting changed. i.e. default un/pw and your neighbor logged in and turned down the power

2. If you are overlapping bad, (I hate to say this, cause it's poor wireless design - but necessary sometimes) - the only option you have is to pick the best channel and crank up the power on your AP the best you can. Upgrading antennas also can help.

3. Also consider if you/wife/GF..whatever brought anything new into your home or if your neighbors did. We've seen simple XB360s really jack with wireless signals during specific activities while doing surveys on-site for customers. You just never know, the most benign things can cause major interference sometimes.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        3. Also consider if you/wife/GF..whatever brought anything new into your home or if your neighbors did.
        This is the main cause that most people overlook. Did you get a new 2.4 ghz wireless phone? Did the neighbors? Did the neighbors get a new router/AP that is overpowering yours? Have you added 2.4ghz wireless headphones recently (that's what my issue was when this happened to me, I didn't even think about it when I bought them)?

Comment

Have you done any firmware updates on it?
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Man Im having similar problems with my Linksys. I just unplug it for a few seconds when it spurts out on me and then everything is fine. I thought someone might be stealing my shit, but Im pretty far away from most of my nieghbors.
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Ddwrt?
              2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

It's funny you guys mention getting something new in the house because this was my first hunch. I got a soundbar/wireless sub combo for Christmas which is around the time this started happening. But the thing is, I can turn the soundbar off and the reception is still equally shitty. I downloaded inssider to confirm this. Unless there's some way the thing still gives off a signal when turned off. Other than that, nothing new in the home and no new routers for my neighbors (confirmed this with inssider). The only other router in range changes from 1 to 6 to 11 many times a day so it's not locked in on one channel. I've tried all 3 and none are better than the others.

Comment

Did you turn both the sound bar and sub off? Sub is still transmitting for awhile...
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    Did you turn both the sound bar and sub off? Sub is still transmitting for awhile...
                    Yes, I tried both. Still no dice.

I ordered a Linksys 4200v2 and set it up tonight. Same issue! But this router is awesome, so I'm keeping it.

Comment

Working...
                    X