No announcement yet.

DIY night sights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would seem to me that the best guns suited for this would be three dot sights, where the pilot hole is essentially already drilled. Just use them as a guide, and pick the right bit and depth. Then squirt in some epoxy or other glue, drop trit vial in, and then glue in a protective lens. Sounds easy enough, I just think finding the right sights to do it will be tricky.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Measure twice cut once...

I drilled my front sight tonight. For the most part, i'm very pleased with the outcome. My only problem is I was supposed to grab a 2.7mm drill, and I grabbed a 2.8mm on accident. This made for a sloppy fit. But onto my progress...

I thought of a great idea to put a piece of 3/32 heat shrink around the vial to make a white ring around the sight. This makes it more visible in the daylight, and it lets some of the green light pass through and makes night sight brighter and bigger. I tried a few colors, and white was the easiest to see. But now, since I oversized the hole in the sight, I'm going to machine a white delrin sleeve.

When held at arms length, the sights are absolutely perfectly proportioned. I love it even without the rear sights done.
      Attached Files
      IMG_0424

Comment

Nice.... I think I may do this.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

My 1x3mm trits might be here at the end of next week. Cant wait to see how those turn out.
          IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
            My 1x3mm trits might be here at the end of next week. Cant wait to see how those turn out.
            I'd really like to put some in my witness, problem is the rear sight is way too thin for anything, which sucks.

Comment

bi-color is the way to go though, I'd like to get some rear blues, and orange front on my delta. Same for my .44 mag revolver.

Comment

Delrin wasn't opaque enough to use as sleeves, but some glass filled teflon did the trick nicely.
                Attached Files
                IMG_0424

Comment

Delrin wasn't opaque enough to use as sleeves, but some glass filled teflon did the trick nicely.
                  So if you did it again would you have used that bit requiring a sleeve?

Comment

If I had to do it again, I would have correctly drilled the hole size and used my original heat shrink sleeve idea. The heat shrink gives a nice white ring, and as a bonus, glows green in low light. And it's just simple. The teflon machined sleeve looks the same in daylight, but barely lets any green light through.

You can also pick several different color heat shrinks. I think I have blue, green, yellow, red, and white. I dont know how solvent resistant heat shrink tube is though. I know teflon is very resistant to chemicals.
                    IMG_0424

Comment

If I had to do it again, I would have correctly drilled the hole size and used my original heat shrink sleeve idea. The heat shrink gives a nice white ring, and as a bonus, glows green in low light. And it's just simple. The teflon machined sleeve looks the same in daylight, but barely lets any green light through.

You can also pick several different color heat shrinks. I think I have blue, green, yellow, red, and white. I dont know how solvent resistant heat shrink tube is though. I know teflon is very resistant to chemicals.
                      how are you holding the vials in the sights? epoxy? Did you put a lens over them?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        how are you holding the vials in the sights? epoxy? Did you put a lens over them?
                        Everything is a light press fit right now. As soon as I find some crystal clear epoxy, i'll glue everything in. The sleeve is trimmed flush with the front sight, and the vial is recessed in the sleeve. I'm going to fill that in with epoxy, so no lens.

The 'clear' epoxy i've tried so far, actually hardens yellowish. I have some stuff on order to try.
                        IMG_0424

Comment

What would one of you fine individuals charge to do the to my xd40sc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                            What would one of you fine individuals charge to do the to my xd40sc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
                            I'd feel bad about messing up your sights... however, here is a set at Midway for $127, and they even have a warranty
                            Last edited by GAP; 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM.
                            IMG_0424

Comment

Everything is a light press fit right now. As soon as I find some crystal clear epoxy, i'll glue everything in. The sleeve is trimmed flush with the front sight, and the vial is recessed in the sleeve. I'm going to fill that in with epoxy, so no lens.

The 'clear' epoxy i've tried so far, actually hardens yellowish. I have some stuff on order to try.
                              Yes, I believe because many are cellulose (?) based, and they yellow after a while - similar to lacquer types.

Comment

Devcon 31345 epoxy hardens fairly clear. I glued in the front vial, and filled the top in. Should hold up really well.

Rear trits should be here any day.
                                IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                                X