Auto Paint - Self or Professional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Paint - Self or Professional?

So I am planning on finishing the engine swap in my CoPart salvage car this weekend and at that point I will be moving on to painting the front bumper and side skirt that were damaged.

I am torn between what to do. I can pay $218 for a Devilbiss Finishline FLG-670 gun that has fantastic reviews stating it is a great gun for beginners and experts alike and puts down base / clear well with its interchangeable tips....

Or...try to find a bodyshop that will only charge around $200 to paint the bumper and side skirt.

My dilemma is the whole teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish...I'd like to paint my own stuff and keep the gun for future projects, but also worry I would absolutely suck at laying paint.

I tried to paint my 2004 Cavalier myself and it turned out awful - though I mainly blame the old beat up gun my Dad had. The silver paint didn't atomize right and came out splotchy.

Open to suggestions either way, and if you have a recommendation for a good auto shop that'll spray off-body parts for a good price, please do.

$20 Harbor Freight purple gun. Its the painter.Shot this in my shop, dirty conditions compared to a booth... (although I will say I love my high end guns)...
    Read this for a good primer on painting steps..
    Last edited by dcs13; 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Forgot to add the link, sorry.. https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/perfect-paint-job

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
        Gorgeous paint job. Does the purple do both base and clear?

What size compressor do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          Gorgeous paint job. Does the purple do both base and clear?

What size compressor do you have?
          Yes it does, I have one that I used for doing door jambs, small spot jobs and even did a few panels at a time with it cause I didn't want to bust out my SataJet and clean it. After more than a few use's it still works great, just clean it after each use. Once it gets to dirty or starts fucking up, throw it away and get a new one.
          I have a small HF 5HP 50gl tank, it was $199.99, it works great for small jobs and even will do a panel or two, but you have to let it fill up quite often. If your going to attempt to do a whole vehicle, your going to have to invest in a 5hp + dual stage 90 gallon or more compressor.
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
            Yes it does, I have one that I used for doing door jambs, small spot jobs and even did a few panels at a time with it cause I didn't want to bust out my SataJet and clean it. After more than a few use's it still works great, just clean it after each use. Once it gets to dirty or starts fucking up, throw it away and get a new one.
            I have a small HF 5HP 50gl tank, it was $199.99, it works great for small jobs and even will do a panel or two, but you have to let it fill up quite often. If your going to attempt to do a whole vehicle, your going to have to invest in a 5hp + dual stage 90 gallon or more compressor.
            Very good, I am heading to Harbor Freight after work to try this out.

It's just a front bumper and a 5 foot long side skirt, so my 8 gal 2.5 hp compressor should be able to handle it.

Thanks for the information!

Comment

It's the painter, the prep work, and the finish work. I have a high end gun, and have put down some shitty jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                It's the painter, the prep work, and the finish work. I have a high end gun, and have put down some shitty jobs.
                This is all true, but a good compressor that can keep up is the most important tool in getting good automotive paint jobs, the paint gun must keep an accurate amount of pressure while painting. This and a nice air filtering system, compressors emit humidity and contamination (oil/water) and will fuck your shit up with fish eyes and trash.
                Refinishing cars/parts is serious business, you don't have the proper tools and even the best painter will get shitty jobs...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  This is all true, but a good compressor that can keep up is the most important tool in getting good automotive paint jobs, the paint gun must keep an accurate amount of pressure while painting. This and a nice air filtering system, compressors emit humidity and contamination (oil/water) and will fuck your shit up with fish eyes and trash.

Refinishing cars/parts is serious business, you don't have the proper tools and even the best painter will get shitty jobs...
                  This, and most of the other stuff. I only spray tiny shit, but here is my .02:

Pick up the purple HF gun, use your compressor, add an inline pressure regulator and a moisture trap. Practice on a scrap hood or something. Learn to adjust the pressure for the paint. Good atomization and coverage. A little practice and you'll be OK.

Granted this is 1/12th scale but it was cleared with the HF gun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

CLEAN the HF gun before use. They always have grease and stuff in them. Get a regulator and a filter for end of gun. You'll need to regulate your pressure .
                    Read this on setting up your gun..
                    This written below was first written in 2002, it is not the perfect paint gun adjusting solution but it will give you an understanding as to why you should adjust your gun and some starting points. PLEASE feel free to add any ideas that that may help! This may sound trivial to an experienced...

That header I shot was straight outa the gun. SPI universal clear. Was not cut and buffed. I LOVE SPI products.. So easy to get good results. I don't do this for a living (I'd starve to death).. I just learned because I was too cheap to send my cars to a body shop..
                    Last edited by dcs13; 10-16-2019, 05:35 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Working...
                    X