Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a 2005 Navigator with a bad engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a 2005 Navigator with a bad engine?

This is my dad's truck and we're trying to figure out the best plan of action. He's not interested in replacing the engine and not well enough to dick with parting it out, which would yield the most money. What can he do? Can't stomach sending it to salvage for $400. Thoughts?

Fully loaded luxury edition
    100,000 miles
    Just replaced air suspension

Not exactly sure what is wrong with the motor but two mechanics have pronounced it dead even though it starts and runs, but poorly and missing on more than one cylinder.

Sell it cheap to someone who will put a motor in it.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Push into creek, report stolen, collect underpants, ....., profit.

Comment

You can sell it on Facebook for $500, I'm sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just wondering if there's a solution that might get him a couple grand or something. It's a lot of truck in good shape if not for the stoopid engine going south. I do realize that's a huge factor, just a bitter pill to swallow to get basically nothing for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            I'm just wondering if there's a solution that might get him a couple grand or something. It's a lot of truck in good shape if not for the stoopid engine going south. I do realize that's a huge factor, just a bitter pill to swallow to get basically nothing for it.
            If body and interior good, may be interested

2003 f250
            1990 mustang gt stock 68k miles
            1990 mustang gt 347 t56
            1994 peterbilt 377 dump truck 450hp cat
            1997 freightliner 500hp detriot[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by marcs95gt View Post
              If body and interior good, may be interested
              They are in good shape. It's the version with light colored leather and dark piping. Looks cool.

Comment

It's worth $6-$7k in running shape. Engine is going to run $2500 used, if it can be rebuilt, much cheaper. Throw it on craigslist for $2500, see what happens.

Comment

Make sure the diagnosis is correct. We bought a 2007 F150 a while back and "the motor was junk". It was throwing a code of misfire on number 8 cylinder. Prior owner had taken it to some dude who supposedly changed all the plugs and coil packs. That didn't fix the problem and they pronounced the motor as fucked. The guy sold it for very cheap. I got it and sure enough, the #8 plug was never changed. Runs like a champ now. A lot of people don't have a fucking clue on those engines and do stupid shit like not use the correct oil filter or think a timing chain noise is a rod knocking.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                    This is my dad's truck.
                    The used car market is going to tank by up to 50% in next couple of years.

put it on craigs list and pray

Comment

Thankfully that's the first year without the 32V engine so you can actually get a replacement. Still though they are about $3200 for remans and used engines will have the same cam phaser problems.

If that is the problem you could do a phaser lock out kit and it'll run fine but you'd still be dumping $600 in it and probably 5-6 hours labor.

Comment

Tannerite

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                          The used car market is going to tank by up to 50% in next couple of years.

put it on craigs list and pray
                          Care to elaborate on that?
                          1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

blake, send me info, picts, etc.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

ls1 swap?

Comment

Working...
                              X