No announcement yet.

Degree from Tech of lesser value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you thought about mechanical and just working in the field? That way you can work in other industries when there is a down turn...or if you hate the field work?

Comment

I recently graduated with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Texas Tech and I was eagerly hired on with what I believe is the largest manufacturer of oil rig equipment in the world. I have a ton of buddies who graduated or are graduating from the ME or PE programs and most of us are succeeding in finding solid jobs with reputable corporations. If it matters, all of my PE buddies are making more money (generally 100k+) and their program is easier than ME. The company I work for tends to hire from Tech and A&M more than UT and I've heard that about many other companies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Have you thought about mechanical and just working in the field? That way you can work in other industries when there is a down turn...or if you hate the field work?
        Consulting is the end goal but its probably going to take years to get there once i get PE degree. Consulting is where the high roller money is

But i dont mind putting in my time. Well digging is the only job you start at the top
        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          My end goal is engineering, specifically petroleum

I have a lot of family in that business and they make a lot of money and to be honest i want to make a lot of money too
          My friends son makes ridiculous money working for an oil company as an engineer and he graduated from Tech. Don't worry about it, make good grades and you will be fine.

Comment

Consulting is the end goal but its probably going to take years to get there once i get PE degree. Consulting is where the high roller money is

But i dont mind putting in my time. Well digging is the only job you start at the top
            Not sure what you call high roller, but field engineers make well into the 200-300 range in a relatively short amount of time depending in where you are. I'm sure consultants make bank as well when there is work.

Always remember that...when there is work.

I wouldn't touch petroleum because everyone is going petroleum right now. If you look at recent news, the entry level job market is pretty saturated. In many cases, you can get the same job with either an electrical, mechanical or systems degree. The big difference is that when there is an abundance of PEs, an electrical/mechanical/systems engineer can work in other industries whereas the PE won't be hired in different industries.

So if you stick petroleum...save that early money!

Comment

Longhorn

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
              Being a Longhorns fan, yes I would not think twice about hiring you...but then again I wouldn't give you the time of day anyways.

Typical "T Sip" remark.

Comment

Not sure what you call high roller, but field engineers make well into the 200-300 range in a relatively short amount of time depending in where you are. I'm sure consultants make bank as well when there is work.
                I must admit that im not sure if i understand you. Above you say they make 200-300k, then below you say its saturated. If its saturated generally the pay goes way down. Supply and demand (of employees)

I wouldn't touch petroleum because everyone is going petroleum right now. If you look at recent news, the entry level job market is pretty saturated. In many cases, you can get the same job with either an electrical, mechanical or systems degree. The big difference is that when there is an abundance of PEs, an electrical/mechanical/systems engineer can work in other industries whereas the PE won't be hired in different industries.

So if you stick petroleum...save that early money!
                WH

Comment

I must admit that im not sure if i understand you. Above you say they make 200-300k, then below you say its saturated. If its saturated generally the pay goes way down. Supply and demand (of employees)
                  I'm saying you will make good money when there is a job and you have experience. I know people making this money, and i work in the industry. I'm also saying you don't need to be a PE as many of the field engineers I know aren't. But these are people willing to deal with a lot of shit. Right now demand for field support is huge, but it will go down. And with 5x the number of PE students now than the prior 2 decades, you're going to become an Obama supporter as soon as the oil slows down.

The problem is that as a PE, you can't do much else. No one will hire you to do design engineering. But as an ME, SE, EE, you can do both. Have you even done any research on the massive increase in PE students?

Why would you limit your career opportunities when you can make the same money with a more versatile degree?

Comment

Well i had already planned on folding the PE degree over into either ME, or EE after I had obtained the PE. Just as a backup. You never know oil is becoming less and less popular and it may go the way of the dinosaur. They might start making it out of algae or something. So I was going to do ME or EE. Because once you have the associates and (maybe) a few classes of the PE, the EE or ME are going to be shorter and will not take as long to obtain

Cause some of the classes might overlap. I dunno i have never checked on that but they all overlap for the associates degree as im sure you know.

I would like to see proof of the influx of PE's, though i dont doubt it. I will search around and maybe you can post your source as well.
                    WH

Comment

Well i had already planned on folding the PE degree over into either ME, or EE after I had obtained the PE. Just as a backup. You never know oil is becoming less and less popular and it may go the way of the dinosaur. They might start making it out of algae or something. So I was going to do ME or EE. Because once you have the associates and (maybe) a few classes of the PE, the EE or ME are going to be shorter and will not take as long to obtain

Cause some of the classes might overlap. I dunno i have never checked on that but they all overlap for the associates degree as im sure you know.

I would like to see proof of the influx of PE's, though i dont doubt it. I will search around and maybe you can post your source as well.
                      Sounds like you're thinking around the right path...though an associates isn't very valuable relative to a BS. Have you considered minoring in PE?

I will post up some more info later, but here's some quick reading.

(Source: Lloyd Heinze, Texas Tech University) The oil and gas industry is known for its boom-bust cycles, and it’s not just in prices or profits. As a surge in domestic drilling drives demand for engineers, some academics are urging caution as universities ramp up their petroleum engineering programs. The shale drilling boom [...]

Comment

Seem like that article supports your claims. What i get from it is that it could go either way, and it depends on what job you have specifically. Or what job you are seeking.
                        WH

Comment

Seem like that article supports your claims. What i get from it is that it could go either way, and it depends on what job you have specifically. Or what job you are seeking.
                          For the most part. Basically you can do the same jobs for the same money with a more versatile degree, but a PE is still not a bad choice per se...just giving ya a bit of advice.

Comment

I got my degree from TTU in ME a long time ago. I work in the oil and gas business now. I get paid more than 2X what I did as a mechanical design engineer.

Also when you go to an interview no one gives a shit what school you went to or what your grades are. No one is going to ask to see a degree, diploma or a transcript. They are going to ask you questions pertinent to their work and try to ascertain whether or not you can do the work and fit in at their office. That's it. If you can fit in and do the work, you are golden. If you don't fit in and you can't do their work you could be Magna Cum Laude from MIT and they wouldn't give a shit.

Oh and in a few years I'm going to get PE license in PE and make even more money.

Comment

Not sure how I missed this one the last few bumps to the top, but as many have said - you and the major are the most important piece of the puzzle. My roommate was an EE and he had to study quite a bit, but he made about twice what my other roommate and I did coming out of school (we both received degrees in business). My understanding is Tech's engineering department is well respected, but I'm sure Strychnine can (did) tell you more since that's what he studied.

Comment

I wouldn't go to Tech and spend four years in Lubbock, go somewhere with better scenery.
                                2006 Civic SI
                                2009 Pilot
                                1988 GT
                                CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Working...
                                X