Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta love getting screwed over by friends! (what would dfwmustangs do)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love getting screwed over by friends! (what would dfwmustangs do)

FYI, this just me ranting, feel free to ignore. Just want to know what the right thing to do is.

Some of you might know I have a coupe with an lsx/turbo in it. Had a trans built by one of the best trans builders around for it, it ran like a top for a year of abuse, even went high 5's with it. Ended up breaking a sprag being a moron pedalling it hard on a sticky sticky track. Swapped it out for a P/G.

I was kind of on the fence about fixing it. Considering what I paid for it and the converter I knew either way I'd be upside down.

Anyway, I had a "friend" of mine who has a lsx camaro approach me for some tuning and welding him an exhaust system. I did both for him for a real good price, but during the tuning we found that his 4l60 that he had recently swapped in a new converter on was leaking like crazy from the front seal. I do the best I can with the tune and tell him to bring it back once he gets it taken care of.

Fast forward, he learns about my th350 and decides rather then put the 60 back in (and inevitably blow it up), he'll just buy my 350/converter once I get it fixed. We agree on 1k since it'll cost me about 500 to freshen it up.

So that was that, I told him I'd let him know when I heard back on it. A week later it was ready so I shot him a text letting him know and get no return, shoot him another text and he is like, "oh, man, don't worry about it, i ended up swapping out the seal and putting the 60 back in and it's working fine".

so i was like like, "umm, we had an agreement, don't you think you should have maybe told me you decided to go a different direction before i fronted the money for the build?"

his response was, "you shouldn't have any trouble selling it for what we agreed on, you might even make more money. let me know when would be a good time to bring the z back over for you to look at the tune again."

now i am at a crossroad, part of me wants to just tell him to f-off and look for someone else to finish the tune (except he still has my brand new wideband on his car which is about 200 bucks), the other part wants to just finish up the tune (since that was the agreement and even if he isn't a man of his word i am) and then tell him to get bent.

i did learn a valuable lesson, don't front money for anyone, even a friend. i probably would have still rebuilt the trans, but with my wedding/honeymoon this month i probably wouldn't have done it right now.

I went ahead and posted it on c/l, in the classifieds, and on ls1tech. He just said "if it's that big of deal i'll buy it and just put it up for sell".

Yeah fronting the money was dumb. Should have made him buy parts up front. I think the right thing is to finish what you started and deal with C/L frustrations

Comment

Charge him $1k for the tune, yup that should do it.
      2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
      Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
      Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
      Speedlogix Catch Can
      Resonator Delete

Comment

I get where your coming from. Its just a risk you take doing business! Im sure someone will buy it for what your asking
        GOD BLESS TEXAS
        August Landscaping
        214-779-7278
        Seb's high class.
        He'll mow your grass.
        He'll kick your ass.
        And while his kidney stones pass,
        He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by STRONGNUFF View Post
          Charge him $1k for the tune, yup that should do it.
          funny you say this, he was like, "well, i figure since the 60 is working i can just save that extra dough". i am like, well, you are going to be shelling out another 300+ for a tune if you screw me over and you'll still have a crappy transmission. at least if you do what you said you were going to you'll have a good tune and a good transmission...lol

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
            I get where your coming from. Its just a risk you take doing business! Im sure someone will buy it for what your asking
            i don't think it's a bad price for a built trans, converter, cooler, deep pan, and torque arm adapter (if using on an f-body). wish i'd have found a deal like this when i needed a trans!

Comment

Kick his ass

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                i don't think it's a bad price for a built trans, converter, cooler, deep pan, and torque arm adapter (if using on an f-body). wish i'd have found a deal like this when i needed a trans!
                Agreed! It should sell pretty damn fast. You prolly coulda got more with it being converter & trans. I saw the your ad on Tech. Just take note with your friend how he handles business & dont cut anymore breaks for him
                GOD BLESS TEXAS
                August Landscaping
                214-779-7278
                Seb's high class.
                He'll mow your grass.
                He'll kick your ass.
                And while his kidney stones pass,
                He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

That sux James. It is a valuable lesson to learn the true character of a "friend".

If he says he'll buy it again, sell it to him. I agree on going thru with th tune, but that would likely be my last dealing with him. I do believe that people like that eventually get I in the end. I, like you, am tempted to help fate speed that payback up.

Remember, lots of people suck.
                  sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                  17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                  13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                  65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

finish the tune, but set the shift points so that it trashes his trans rather quickly, then sell him yours... Problem solved.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                      Agreed! It should sell pretty damn fast. You prolly coulda got more with it being converter & trans. I saw the your ad on Tech. Just take note with your friend how he handles business & dont cut anymore breaks for him
                      ya, sad part is we had a bit of a falling out (well, i'd say it was more of our fiance's did) and we didn't talk for a few months. when he got the z28 he'd shoot me a text every now and then asking for advice. when he started modding it he asked if i'd tune it, then he wanted me to build an exhaust for it, etc. so it kind of just snow balled. i was actually kind of glad we'd gotten over the beef and were cool again as i genuinely do like the guy. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...well, you know. live and learn. at least it's only a couple of hundred, not thousand!

Comment

At least he didnt put it in his car before paying you anything and then not ever pay you for it and then move to another state... I have learned that lesson already. those "friends"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                          finish the tune, but set the shift points so that it trashes his trans rather quickly, then sell him yours... Problem solved.
                          LOL, don't think the thought didn't cross my mind. it'd be incredibly easy to do but way outside of my character. if i mess something up on accident that is one thing, but to intentionally do it would make me feel like garbage. if i were him on the other hand i'd be pretty scared to let someone i just screwed over tune my car though!

Comment

While the situation kinda sucks, it's trivial at best. At the end of the day there are so many other things that matter more you should let it roll off of ya. Is it really worth destroying a friendship over? The highroad is the road less traveled, but it is the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              While the situation kinda sucks, it's trivial at best. At the end of the day there are so many other things that matter more you should let it roll off of ya. Is it really worth destroying a friendship over? The highroad is the road less traveled, but it is the right thing to do.
                              you are right steve, it is trival, and if it were just some joe it'd be one thing, but like i said, this guy used to be my best buddy, now he's become some crook. hard to swallow.

my great grandmother (whom i was real close to), always said, "james, there will always be two ways to handle a situation like this, and you'll be right either way, but you'll only be right and proud one way"

Comment

Working...
                              X