Looking for a dirt bike recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a dirt bike recommendation

We recently moved, and now have some bad ass dirt road access through the Cleveland National Forest right outside our neighborhood. It runs for dozens of miles and up about 6,000 feet in elevation.

Anyway, I really want to buy a dirt bike but have no idea what to get. I'm not looking for something really fast or motorcross oriented, just a good trail bike. I do want something that will ride a passenger and I want four stroke. Street legal would be a plus too.

I'm only 5'6 and 150 lbs, so don't want something too tall. Not looking to spend a ton, but looking for something reliable too.

What are my options?

any "dirt" bike is going to suck for a passenger, and most dont even have passenger pegs.

hard to beat a xr650l or dr650, both affordable and reliable, street legal and electric start, and about your best bet for a passenger. they are big bikes though as far as riding single track, but they are capable and you can lower them. for just a single rider, cheap, reliable, street legal and electric start, i would say a cfr450x

if youre just talking forest roads, and most comfort for a passenger, any big adventure bike will handle that. v strom, klr650, etc... will be fine

Comment

save yourself some trouble and spend the money on a newer fuel injected model. fuck carburetors.

if you ride it alot, honda parts are typically cheaper for maintenance. other than that, sit on them and see what feels good.

Comment

Yamaha TTR 250 would be a good choice, I had a Dr 400 and loved it but it was really tall and heavy. I am 5'8" ish and 160 ish

Comment

I agree, the ONLY way to go is fuel injected... electric start is nice as well, and agree its gonna suck for a passenger.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. I completely agree on the fuel injection... I've owned several street bikes and it makes a huge difference.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 250... and I may sacrifice on the street legal aspect since I just need to ride one mile through my neighborhood to get to trails. The dual sport bikes seem to be considerably more expensive because they're very popular here.

And I doubt I will ride a passenger very often, but would be nice in a pinch. My wife wants to buy a quad for her and my son to ride on.

Comment

Second the yamaha ttr 225 or a honda crf230 electric start and great mid range power.

Comment

Ktm xc-w 200.

Comment

Sell the wife and kid... get two dirtbikes! A primary and a backup!
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

If you're wanting to carry a passenger..don't count on much REAL off road riding other than maybe some access trails...and while a DRZ400 can handle the job...its going to be very taxed and the clutch won't last long. XR650L is a fantastic big bore thumper but it is probably way more geared for dirt than you want. The DR650 would be well suited for what you have asked...its got torque, it sits lower than the XR650L...makes similar power but delivers it more smoothly...and the seat is more comfy. I am currently keeping my eye on Craigslist for an XR650L.....they are tall, pretty heavy...but are also very capable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Ktm xc-w 200.
                      Second this. Or a gas gas ec 200/250. Less maintenance with the two stroke, better clutch (hydraulic), cheaper rebuilds, way more off-road capable than a xr/dr/drz.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
                        Second this. Or a gas gas ec 200/250. Less maintenance with the two stroke, better clutch (hydraulic), cheaper rebuilds, way more off-road capable than a xr/dr/drz.
                        ill take a cable clutch over hydraulic, those 4 strokes listed wont even need a rebuild unlike a 2 stroke which will need top ends, but i will agree with better off road capability being much lighter, but generally more effort to ride than a 4 stroke.

me personally, i'm not even concerned with the ability to carry a passenger when talking dirt, i do however want a kickstand and electric start, 4 stroke and carb is perfectly fine with me

Comment

ktm and cheap might as well be two people that have never met. they do not even know the other exists.

i would not even mess with one unless you had a serious hook up with a dealer.

i am not brand loyal. i ride red bikes because i have so many extra parts and that is the brand i have the dealer discount. ktm is a fine machine. leaps and bounds over the past ten years. you pay for that shit though.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                            ill take a cable clutch over hydraulic, those 4 strokes listed wont even need a rebuild unlike a 2 stroke which will need top ends, but i will agree with better off road capability being much lighter, but generally more effort to ride than a 4 stroke.

me personally, i'm not even concerned with the ability to carry a passenger when talking dirt, i do however want a kickstand and electric start, 4 stroke and carb is perfectly fine with me
                            I guess it depends on what you like to ride. I ride single track/enduro more than anything and wouldn't trade my 300 2t for any 4. I switched from a 450, still have a 450 supermoto. Will have a 300 2t supermoto once it's time for a newer offroad bike.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                              for just a single rider, cheap, reliable, street legal and electric start, i would say a cfr450x
                              Don't really know anything about dirt bikes. Have seen these advertised for around 5K from only a few years old to over 10 years old. What's a fair price and anything specifically to look for?

Comment

Working...
                              X