3D TV info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D TV info needed

Well I have been out of the A/V scene for almost 2 years now and need some info....

I replaced a 50" Samsung over the fireplace with another Samsung. This time the 51" 3D model at no cost due to the geek squad at Best Buy determining the previous unit was a lemon.

Here are my concerns/interests:

1. Will the fact the tv is over a fireplace on a tilt mount effect the 3D viewing at all?

2. What is the recommended speed HDMI cables to get the best 3D image. Keep in mind it will need to be a 50' cable since my tv is on the fireplace and all the equipment is tucked away under an end table next to a couch

3. Is there some sort of update I need to due to my PS3 for 3D capabilities?

4. Is 3D programming available with your normal HD DirecTv receiver or do you have to upgrade service and receiver?

5. Where can you rent 3D BluRays in order to save from spending $40+/piece on purchasing them to only be viewed one time at best....

6. What are the recommended PS3 3D games if any? And must watch movies?

7. Does XBOX 360 plan to go 3D or are they already?

Thanks for the info in advance fellow A/V nerds

TV i got:

Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!

Comment

You can rent blu-rays on the blockbuster by mail and/or in store monthly program.... I pay $19 for 3 out at a time, unlimited exchanges

Comment

Seriously, HDMI cables are rated for speed? Speed of what?

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
          Well I have been out of the A/V scene for almost 2 years now and need some info....

I replaced a 50" Samsung over the fireplace with another Samsung. This time the 51" 3D model at no cost due to the geek squad at Best Buy determining the previous unit was a lemon.

1. Will the fact the tv is over a fireplace on a tilt mount effect the 3D viewing at all? It shoudn't effect it if it's angled correctly. if you get too far off to the side the 3D effect isn't as good.

2. What is the recommended speed HDMI cables to get the best 3D image. Keep in mind it will need to be a 50' cable since my tv is on the fireplace and all the equipment is tucked away under an end table next to a couch

3. Is there some sort of update I need to due to my PS3 for 3D capabilities? Yes, but if you have updated your PS3 in the last 6 months, it's 3D ready.

4. Is 3D programming available with your normal HD DirecTv receiver or do you have to upgrade service and receiver? Well I have fios, but yes there is a good selection of 3D movies "on demand". But beware of the movies that are "converted to 3D" and not actually filmed in 3D, they are still good, but not as good as true 3D.

5. Where can you rent 3D BluRays in order to save from spending $40+/piece on purchasing them to only be viewed one time at best....

6. What are the recommended PS3 3D games if any? And must watch movies? I haven't played any 3D games lately, but GT5 3D is aight. The motorstorm 3D demo was pretty good.

7. Does XBOX 360 plan to go 3D or are they already? Bet they charge for it if it's available lol

Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
            Seriously, HDMI cables are rated for speed? Speed of what?
            looks like I am good in the cable department

Comment

1. Will the fact the tv is over a fireplace on a tilt mount effect the 3D viewing at all?
              not sure how samsung does the shutter sync with the glasses. my tv has the sync as an external component that looks like a wii sensor before they started doing built ins. it has 3 settings for what angle best suits the viewer. pretty sure it's an IR sensor. if your sensor is built into the tv it solely relies on the tv's angle.

looks like you got that answered. they did away with the 1.x cable naming but devices still need to be compliant to the technology. my tv is 3d but my receiver isnt capable of passing that through. i have to run the hdmi direct from my ps3 to my tv and fiber to the receiver for audio for now

the 3d update was in a firmware over a year ago, as long as your ps3 is semi up to date, you are fine. i just had to enable 3d on my tv

4. Is 3D programming available with your normal HD DirecTv receiver or do you have to upgrade service and receiver?
              [b]directv has like 5 or 6 3D channels, one being espn[b]

not sure

i played batman arkham city in 3d. i have uncharted 3 as well that i plan on playing starting tomorrow.
              i wound up flipped between 3d and regular on batman. the effects are cool for a few mins but overall it's kind of a beat down and i think it might give me a headache.
              havent gone back to try with GT5 yet.

m$ added 3d support to the 360 in august. its an option in the menu now. supposedly gears of war 3, batman AC and halo ce are in 3d.

answers!
              www.hppmotorsports.com
              ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I see, so they are getting rid of 1.x and making it worse. High speed, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                  I see, so they are getting rid of 1.x and making it worse. High speed, LOL!
                  i don't think it's worse.

a "1.3a" cable will do the same thing as a "1.3b" or a "1.4" cable cause the cable never had a version. they were just tested with a signal at the time and if it passed the signal it wound up with a labeled spec.

HDMI's organization wanted the nonsense to stop so now you either have an HDMI high speed cable or HDMI high speed with ethernet.

hdmi with ethernet seems to add device networking and is an actual change to the cable. makes more sense IMO
                  www.hppmotorsports.com
                  ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Yep. HDMI licensing are starting to ask manufacturers to stop using the HDMI version spec. As it's confusing to consumers and for a variety of reasons. It's either standard speed or high speed compliant at distance A as it is at distance B. And it's either Ethernet & ARC compliant or it's not. In which the latter is now commercially being referred to by cable manufacturers as High Speed Category 2, which you still need to read the specs to make sure what you're getting.

HDMI Ethernet & ARC compliant cables are the same with just one difference. A couple of individual conducting pins/data lines being impedance matched specifically dedicated for Ethernet on one side of the Bus and ARC on the other.

The new Cat 2 cables are cool and I'm glad to have them. Otherwise, all manufacturers would have to do what Panasonic did with their DMP-BDT310 Bluray player to accommodate soon to be legacy devices.(non 3D compliant HDMI device inputs). The Panny 310 provides two separate HDMI ports on the back of the player. One for 2D/3D video out and the other for audio to your 3D HDTV, if using a regular old HDMI cable or non 3D compliant AVR. Now with the Cat 2 Ethernet/ARC HDMI cables, I just plug in to the single HDMI out on my Panny DMP-BDT210 player to my 3D compliant Onkyo AVR, then single cable HMDI out to Panny 3D HDTV. Nice and clean.

Comment

DirecTv only has a half dozen 3D channels???? Looks like I will be renting 3D movies from blockbuster lol. Such a cool feature that seems like it will hardly get used until programming catches up with technology.

Comment

Espn has a 3D channel but it sucks compared to the movies and games.
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                        11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

360 has no plans of going 3-D. The new system, code-named "Loop" should be. Should be out late next year from what I hear. The 3-D update for PS3 was a long time ago. As far as renting 3-D movies, I don't know. Regardless, the price will come down eventually. Blu-ray's used to be $30+ when it first came out. Now you can get them for the same price as a DVD WITH a DVD copy.
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I got a 3D Blue Ray player for christmas and hooked it up through my AV unit via the recommended HDMI cable.. but the player didn't recognize my TV as being 3D compatible - which it was.

I finally figured out that the cable going from the AV unit to the TV wasn't the most recent revision, because when I connected directly from the player to the TV it was happy, in fact the TV and player did some handshaking and I can use the remotes between the units, and some other cool features that I am still learning about. They're both Samsung units.

So, I am either going to get another cable from the AV to the TV, or make use of the other inputs and outputs on the receiver, player, and TV to get everything to work....

.... so be aware of that possibility if your 3D doesn't appear to work correctly right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                              I got a 3D Blue Ray player for christmas and hooked it up through my AV unit via the recommended HDMI cable.. but the player didn't recognize my TV as being 3D compatible - which it was.

I finally figured out that the cable going from the AV unit to the TV wasn't the most recent revision, because when I connected directly from the player to the TV it was happy, in fact the TV and player did some handshaking and I can use the remotes between the units, and some other cool features that I am still learning about. They're both Samsung units.

So, I am either going to get another cable from the AV to the TV, or make use of the other inputs and outputs on the receiver, player, and TV to get everything to work....

.... so be aware of that possibility if your 3D doesn't appear to work correctly right off the bat.
                              I bet it was your receiver not passing the 3d video signal

Comment

Working...
                              X