Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with selling a high HP vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with selling a high HP vehicle?

I'll need to find a new home for my Mustang in a month or three, and I've not yet had the privilege of selling a car privately. I've traded in up until now, but don't need a new car at this point, and would positively lose my ass on the upgrades (more so than usual).

Two part question, what are mods worth these days on a 2 yo car, and how have you handled test drives in a similar situation?

My primary concern is to vet out the joy riders, as well as protecting against inexperienced drivers who very well may be serious buyers. As far as I'm concerned, the guy/gal that's going to buy it can do donuts in an intersection, if that's what they need to know they want to car, but I don't want some yahoo in there wasting rubber, and potentially destroying the gearbox/clutch, or wrecking it.

Is a deposit of some kind feasible?

On the aspect of upgrades, I've added just about every bolt on possible, including, but not limited to a CF driveshaft, active exhaust, and a blower. Not an insignificant amount has been spent, what can I reasonably expect to add to the asking price as a percentage?

I have never heavily modded a car that I sold, but my take on selling any modded car is that you never recover that money unless it’s a specialty vehicle or at least it is rare to.

Comment

In the past, I have driven the car on test drives. If they HAVE to drive it then I need cash in hand.

Comment

If you have the stock parts, put back as close as possible to stock then sell the car, and sell the parts for 40%ish off retail.
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Selling a heavily modified car is a losing proposition unless the car is a specialty car. Sometime back I sold a heavily modified FD RX-7 and believe that it is the only modified car I've ever sold that I made money on.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Texas Hot Rides specializes in doing exactly what you're asking about. You might want to give them a shot to make an offer before you deal with random strangers.

You can probably make more by selling it yourself but you'll get calls from toothless hillbillies that'll just want to talk about their uncle daddy's El Camino with a 3/4 race cam that wants to race you for titles. That and guys with $500 cash who are waiting for an insurance check that want you to hold it for them.

Comment

I bought it new in 2017, and threw parts at it immediately. I'm not expecting to take make a profit, due to depreciation alone, but would like to get FMV for the package as a whole to mitigate any loss. I don't want to turn away a potential sale with an unrealistically high asking price, and I also want to know where to draw the line in ignoring low ballers.

If the loss is unpalatable I'll hold onto the car a while longer, but we are moving this summer, and I'd rather not bring it with me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                Texas Hot Rides specializes in doing exactly what you're asking about. You might want to give them a shot to make an offer before you deal with random strangers.

You can probably make more by selling it yourself but you'll get calls from toothless hillbillies that'll just want to talk about their uncle daddy's El Camino with a 3/4 race cam that wants to race you for titles. That and guys with $500 cash who are waiting for an insurance check that want you to hold it for them.
                I'll look them up when the time come, this is exactly what I'm not looking forward. I don't have the time nor patience to deal with bs, and will probably piss a few of them off, but don't be wasting my time.

Comment

You're better off hitting a pelican, and taking the insurance money.

Comment

I have two stock GT's we can just put all your go fast parts on one of my cars and put yous back to stock. problem solved!

Comment

I have neither the time nor patience for BS.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                        Funny thing, last I heard he still owns that car. I mean he went to prison but he still has a Veyron.

Comment

My old '03 was somewhat "modified" - procharger...bunch of bolt ons...etc.

If I remember right (this was 10ish years ago) - I listed at slightly above book value. Got a LOT of calls about it but either folks had no idea what was on it/done to it and did not understand OR they were dicks low balling the car.

Ultimately, a Marine called about it and I decided I wanted him to have it - so sold it a bit below book value. He proved he was enlisted...cash done.

Always wondered how that worked out for him as a troop. He got a great buy on the car, but any modified car has to be....monitored....for reliability.

Anyway, the advice of going back to stockish is the best advice. Just not always realistic for whatever reason or another. Modified cars can decrease interest though and you just have to find the right buyer.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I wouldn't turn it back to stock unless you were trading it back in for something else. Since you already mentioned that you won't be doing that, I would take a realistic value on the car and add up all your mods and subtract 50% off of that and add it to the car.
                            Most people that are looking for a car like yours are going to mod it themselves and will like that your car has mods already. They will also pay the extra skrilla to have it already done than do it themselves and save money.
                            I've sold many cars and most of them have been lightly modded, lightly modded cars only bring top value of that cars value unless you are desperate (your results may vary).
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                              EXACTLY what came to mind when I saw the post

Comment

Working...
                              X