No announcement yet.

Starter welding unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millermatic 211 and then watch a lot of Welding Tips and Tricks videos on Youtube. That guy Jody has all kinds of good advice. After that start welding and get the practice in. If you remember that most of it is about heat management then you will have a leg up.

I also would skip flux core and get a gas setup. Flux core is fine for later but if you use it starting out you'll wonder if all that messy shit is normal.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      Millermatic 211 and then watch a lot of Welding Tips and Tricks videos on Youtube. That guy Jody has all kinds of good advice. After that start welding and get the practice in. If you remember that most of it is about heat management then you will have a leg up.

I also would skip flux core and get a gas setup. Flux core is fine for later but if you use it starting out you'll wonder if all that messy shit is normal.
      Did I hear correctly that you can get a flux setup that has the option of gas or no?

And your comment on the heat management I take it means like when I used an oxy/acetylene torch. Basically the same principle that if you hang on too long to a cut it starts to mangle it with slag. Same type of method here?

Comment

Let me know if you decide on a stick welder, I have an older ac/dc miller thunderbolt that is collecting dust in my garage.
        Justin

Comment

The Hobart 140 comes with the kit to set up with gas, at least mine did. I use it for mobile work only and don’t ever hook it up to a tank. If it were used for larger jobs I would but it’s only for small stuff.

Comment

Buy a Miller 252 and be done with it.

Comment

I agree with homealone, buy a bigger one than you think you want. A buddy has a Hobart 140 that we made lots of stuff with. I started with a cheap ass one I bought off someone on this board and regretted it. I ended up with a Miller 211.

Comment

I do agree that a MIG welder with gas is best, but he mentioned working in the house doing things that would require portability and and 110v power source. If you go with a small flux core, you can learn and gain experience. If you choose to get a full size that requires inert gas mix you will have issues keeping the head clean and feeding issues that go along with it if you don't know what you're doing. The learning curve is not as forgiving as small cheaper unit that is flux core.

Just my opinion.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  I do agree that a MIG welder with gas is best, but he mentioned working in the house doing things that would require portability and and 110v power source. If you go with a small flux core, you can learn and gain experience. If you choose to get a full size that requires inert gas mix you will have issues keeping the head clean and feeding issues that go along with it if you don't know what you're doing. The learning curve is not as forgiving as small cheaper unit that is flux core.

Just my opinion.
                  Sorry I meant around the house out back not inside. So stationary isn’t an issue I can throw it in the barn or garage. If it’s too heavy I’ve got forks.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    Sorry I meant around the house out back not inside. So stationary isn’t an issue I can throw it in the barn or garage. If it’s too heavy I’ve got forks.
                    Well, do you have access to a 220v? Keep that in mind as you would want to buy a MIG that is 110v. with gas. You can always buy or rent a small tank, so its not as intrusive as my Snap-on 250 with the ginormous 122/48 inch tank, but you can get along with a 80/36 inch that will be OK for doing jobs around the house.
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Well, do you have access to a 220v? Keep that in mind as you would want to buy a MIG that is 110v. with gas. You can always buy or rent a small tank, so its not as intrusive as my Snap-on 250 with the ginormous 122/48 inch tank, but you can get along with a 80/36 inch that will be OK for doing jobs around the house.
                      Not in my house, however I am planning on getting a 15kw single phase pto generator that runs off my tractor. It’s 120/240.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                        Not in my house, however I am planning on getting a 15kw single phase pto generator that runs off my tractor. It’s 120/240.
                        Brilliant!

I would love to live out in the country, every time I go to my buddies house near Tyler, we always have a blast. Shooting guns, blowing shup, burning trash, 4-wheeling in his 4x4 truck or side by side. Hes on a lake to, so jet skiing, pontoon or even his loud ass Taylor big block boat. It's always an adventure...

Comment

Brilliant!

I would love to live out in the country, every time I go to my buddies house near Tyler, we always have a blast. Shooting guns, blowing shup, burning trash, 4-wheeling in his 4x4 truck or side by side. Hes on a lake to, so jet skiing, pontoon or even his loud ass Taylor big block boat. It's always an adventure...
                          It’s been a dream of mine for a long time for all of the above reasons and more. Work circumstances or lack thereof made it possible Lol. It’s beautiful here and the kids get to run around here it’s been great.

Comment

I started out with a harbor freight that used gas. Was going to get a 252, ended up with a miller multimatic 220. Its a bad ass machine.

If you know you are going to use it get a miller and be done

Comment

The Millermatic 211 will do everything, it will run on 110 or 220. It will weld up to 3/8" thick steel but can be turned down enough to do sheet metal. It can do flux core and it can also do stick welding. It isn't light to carry around but it is portable. It can also MIG aluminum with a spool gun although I never could get that to work worth a shit for me. I just bought a TIG machine to do that with.

As far as heat management goes, yes, if it gets too hot it will melt or burn through. A big part of it is getting it hot enough to make sure the weld is good but keeping it from burning through. You can pick a lot of that up by just practicing. It is actually pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Does Miller still make a dual voltage welder? Thats what i bought when i sold my Hobart. It can weld on 110 or 220

Comment

Working...
                                X